Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Corsa's v Racetec

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Speedyj 
#1 ·
So, I been doing a lot of track days recently and finally thought I would change from my beloved Corsa's to Racetec's (K1). EVERYONE seems to rate these racetecs but i never spoke to anyone else who has them on a 10.

Running them at 30f+r (cold - they were about 34 hot) i just couldn't get on with them. Side wall seemed real soft and the back felt like it was moving about. Rear slid earlier than the Corsa's and lap times were down too. So, i took the bike out on the road to play with pressures and finally found that 33f + 37r (cold) seemed to put it back up there with the Corsa's.

Maybe its a bad tyre? (its a part worn one from a racer who did the practice session on it) Before I give up and move back to Corsa (III or super) anyone else been through this? Ohh - its a 180 cause it come from a 600.

#4 ·
all make sense to me.

I have used Metzeler Rennsport RS2 & RS3 in the past and although the RaceTec is their replacement it appears the inherent soft sidewall still gives folks problems if your not familar with them. Based upon your post they should have gained 6psi or 20% when hot but they didn't so they remained somewhat squirly @ a 34psi hot but you atleast had the presence of mind to experiment and try to figure out why. IMO 33/37 is too high and you should not compare them to DC's as they are constructed totally different and are primarily a street tire so they will perform different then a DOT race tire.
Did you use warmers?? if not then it stands to reason why they felt squirly before ever getting to a proper operating temp or PSI. if you do use warmers try 33f 32r prior to mounting them and see how they perform.

BD

#9 ·
uzipoo said:
30/30 better starting place for the track IMO
that is what grunty stated in his 1st post and they didn't gain but 4psi when hot so thats not within its optimum operating range.

Running them at 30f+r (cold - they were about 34 hot) i just couldn't get on with them. Side wall seemed real soft and the back felt like it was moving about. Rear slid earlier than the Corsa's and lap times were down too. So, i took the bike out on the road to play with pressures and finally found that 33f + 37r (cold) seemed to put it back up there with the Corsa's.
BD

#11 ·
Start around 33-34 psi front and rear, and work you way down. If its so cold and you are doing lots of track days switch to a slick (soft) use tire warmers, you will see a massive difference in grip and that will lead to more confidence in your tires.

Always prefer slicks on the track no matter how good road/race tires are slicks are always better !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.