Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to read more on the tire subject and wondered if it would be a great improvment if I swapped out tires. I am mosty just riding the 10 on the street but will be doing some track days. Would the diablos or Pilot powers be a nice improvement over the 208's even on the street and if so which would be better?

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
If you are going to be tracking the bike at all, i would stay away from 208ZR's. Both the Pilot Powers, and the Diablo Corsas are great tires, that will provide good grip on the track, and yet give you some decent street mileage. I would say you cant go wrong either way. I have personal experience with the Diablo Corsas, and think they are great tires. As for the pilot powers, those might be my next street tires.

later...Ara-mri

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
I'm riding the Pilot Powers now (street use only). No complaints. Better "feel" than the stock 218's or 208 replacements I had.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
steves87 said:
I have been trying to read more on the tire subject and wondered if it would be a great improvment if I swapped out tires. I am mosty just riding the 10 on the street but will be doing some track days. Would the diablos or Pilot powers be a nice improvement over the 208's even on the street and if so which would be better?
The concensus amongst the majority is either tire will be an improvement over the OEM tires. If this is your 1st experience with track riding you'll quickly find that 'pace' can and will determine what tire is of most benefit to you. The Diablo Corsa was primarily designed for both street/track whereas the PP is strictly a street tire that can be used on the track just like many other tires.

BD

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I had a Corsca.

I only used it on the street.

I didn't really feel much eatier way about it being good or bad.

I will tell you that I had to replace it before I hit a 1000 miles as the center was wore off.

No burnouts or anything.

Tire is very (read too) soft for the Street.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
crispin

Which tire are you referring too?? Diablo Corsa, Supercorsa (DOT race tire)? :dontknow:

BD

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
FYI

For anyone already using or considering using the DC's for track duty need to know that in most circumstances cold PSI's are lowered when attending a tk-day but as i found out through my own experience and speaking with others this is NOT the norm for DC's so take note to refrain from lowering the cold PSI and maintain both F&R around 34-35psi.

BD

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
I agree with BD. On my R6, after some testing with the pirelli guys at the track, they proved to me that the corsas do need to be run at higher PSI than your average DOT track tire. At lower PSI's they were overheating and melting.

later...Ara-mri

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Andy said:
What have you been running at the track BD?
DC's W/180/55 but i've gone back to a 190/50 which i'll test come spring. I may try the newish Metzeler Racetec (replaced the Rennsport RS series) or perhaps the brand new Pilot Race which comes in 3 compounds.

BD

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
crispin said:
Diablo Corsa
These tires are really a dual compound with the outer portions softer while the center is harder and yet you were able to wear out the center (flat) withn 1k?? How?

BD

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
Hey BD, have you tried the 190/55 supercorsa yet? i have a set sitting at home, but am waiting for my next track day to try them.

later...Ara-mri

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
No but i have used the sister tire ( Metzeler RS-2,3 combo Rennsport/s) @ T-hill which is an abrasive/hot surface and while the tires performed well i did have a very slight cold tear on the LH side which if ya know T-hill its very common place, however this was on my 02 R1 in June 03.

BD

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Big Daddy said:
These tires are really a dual compound with the outer portions softer while the center is harder and yet you were able to wear out the center (flat) withn 1k?? How?

BD
I really don't know. I don't spin the tire. This is when I was learning to power wheelie so I did smack it a lot to get the front up.

I was surprised to see the the wear myself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts