Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a 'proper' way to tell if you have your riven link 'mushroomed' enough? Everyone says dont do it too much or you can ruin the link. :dontknow: The pin measured about 5mm before i hit it with the rivet tool...i have about a 1mm "flare" at the tip of the rivet. I dont want to crank down too much and either break the riveting tip on my chain tool..of eff up the rivet. Any suggestions??? :dontknow:

Attachments

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,871 Posts
That looks pretty good to me! The side plate is really a press fit onto the pins. Any bit of mushrooming will keep the plate retained on the chain. It doesn't take much. You don't have to get it super tight on there. The master link should've come with spacers so you can't pinch the o-rings in there. That is the concern with applying too much pressure with the riveting tool.

The link should bend freely when manipulated by hand, just like the other links in the chain. If it drags any, it's likely too tight. If it's not pressed down enough, the o-rings won't seal. But that's why the temporary spacers are put in there to keep the proper spacing and flare the pins.

I'd say you're good to go. That plate isn't coming off.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks pretty good to me! The side plate is really a press fit onto the pins. Any bit of mushrooming will keep the plate retained on the chain. It doesn't take much. You don't have to get it super tight on there. The master link should've come with spacers so you can't pinch the o-rings in there. That is the concern with applying too much pressure with the riveting tool.

The link should bend freely when manipulated by hand, just like the other links in the chain. If it drags any, it's likely too tight. If it's not pressed down enough, the o-rings won't seal. But that's why the temporary spacers are put in there to keep the proper spacing and flare the pins.

I'd say you're good to go. That plate isn't coming off.
Thats what I was hopin to hear!!! I just hate doing something for the first time and then havin a worry in my head it was done wrong! lolol

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
That's just right

Reactions: TexasRider

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
whats been said. looks right to me. As long as the pin flares out to retain the sideplate on it, youre good to go. I had the same issue the first time I did mine, thought it was wrong. Just dont pinch the rings in the plate, and youre set. good work gettin it did on your own!

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
They grow up so fast! I remember when I riveted my first link. I'm so proud of u T!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They grow up so fast! I remember when I riveted my first link. I'm so proud of u T!
:eek:ccasion1 lol I really dont know WHY Ive waited so long to even do my own chain swaps. :dontknow: Been riding over 25yrs...and this is the first. Ive swapped sprockets before..but always let the dealer or someone else swap chains. :rolleyes: I STILL refuse to break into my own motor and do my valves tho...:headshake got all kinds of bad mojo vibes there.. lolol.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Match width of OEM pins on other links, then safety wire... :hello:
Ive thought about safety wiring it..I have a track day coming up and well..better safe than sorry. do you have a 'how to' link??

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
I hear ya, I got somebody doin my valves now

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I usually strip everything off the bike that is needed..saves me some $$ and saves my mechanic some time. Then just trailer the bike to the shop.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
^ nice. Id do that, if I had a trailer. Or a truck. Hell, even a car. lol.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
As long as the rivet tool tip is all the way in the links it good to go. Just put the rivet tool in by hand and make sure the pin has no gap.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^ nice. Id do that, if I had a trailer. Or a truck. Hell, even a car. lol.
dayum...i remember days of only havin a bike as transportation...

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Hell, I spent 2 years in Ft. Lauderdale with 3 bikes and no car.

Getting groceries home becomes an art. :mrgreen:

Cocaine was a hell of a drug lol.
Shit used to take all my money

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
dayum...i remember days of only havin a bike as transportation...
yeah, one day I wont be 22 and will own other nice things. until then, 10R for life!

Hell, I spent 2 years in Ft. Lauderdale with 3 bikes and no car.

Getting groceries home becomes an art. :mrgreen:
It is quite an art. One night, carried home the big bottle of Hawaiian Punch, 10lbs of potatoes, 4 steaks, some garlic, other spices and some other random shit.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, one day I wont be 22 and will own other nice things. until then, 10R for life!

It is quite an art. One night, carried home the big bottle of Hawaiian Punch, 10lbs of potatoes, 4 steaks, some garlic, other spices and some other random shit.
:spit: ha! Yea...I had a rather large backpack...was pretty impressive what I could get from the grocery store packed in that thing. Sometimes it was a 2 tripper to the store lol. What was REALLY fun...was going to do laundry...in the winter...while it was sleeting/snowing...

Reactions: hellsrazor

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
:spit: ha! Yea...I had a rather large backpack...was pretty impressive what I could get from the grocery store packed in that thing. Sometimes it was a 2 tripper to the store lol. What was REALLY fun...was going to do laundry...in the winter...while it was sleeting/snowing...
:crackup: that sounds great!! Im lucky, laundry machine at the house. I cant imagine doing laundy somewhere else, that would be such a PITA. Nice part if I need it though, I have a nifty little tailbag too. Have stuffed 2 full-sized pies in that sumbitch, in their boxes no less and brought em home. Big bags are useful. And some big balls to carry around everything like that. hahaha

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:crackup: that sounds great!! Im lucky, laundry machine at the house. I cant imagine doing laundy somewhere else, that would be such a PITA. Nice part if I need it though, I have a nifty little tailbag too. Have stuffed 2 full-sized pies in that sumbitch, in their boxes no less and brought em home. Big bags are useful. And some big balls to carry around everything like that. hahaha
Pies..NICE!! I tried eggs...once...didnt fair too well. :lol: The looks I got from people leaving the store..classic. Had a few offer to 'tote my groceries home' for me...yea..right...ha!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts