Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out on a late night high speed adventure the other night and I had the bike up on the limiter in sixth.. (my zx-10 will hit the limiter because I can feel it surging) anyhow I had a right hand sweeper ahead so I stayed in the throttle and proceeded to make my turn. I have a speedohealer and it was right at 183-4 indicated when the limiter was stepping in...as I went through the corner I could hear the r's being pulled down and as I looked down I seen that my speedo was at 169..so the corner had rubbed about 14-15 mph off of my speed. :eyecrazy: I've had that same thing happen to me before but at slower speeds.. it's amazing the cornering forces that must be present at high speeds/lean angles...another section I hit at about 135-140 and after the corner it scrubs about 5 mph off..
No real point here I just found it interesting.. :dontknow: :mrgreen:
 

·
Hillbillie Mod
Joined
·
20,155 Posts
I know thats how I slow down alot at the track...goin into a decreasing radius turn or whatever...just lean the bike over and let the bike slow itself down!
 

·
Hillbillie Mod
Joined
·
20,155 Posts
rtninja04 said:
turns = more mph actually unless you are truely letting of the throttle
I completly dissagree.

Acceleration - change in velocity, also the rate of that change

A 1000 kg car is going around a curve with radius 30 meters. If the coefficient of friction between the car's tires and the road is 0.5, what is the maximum speed at which the car can make the turn?
Solution:

  • mass of car, m = 1000 kg
  • radius of curve, r = 30 m
  • coefficient of friction,
    = 0.5
  • free-fall acceleration, g = 9.8 m/s2
  • maximum speed in the turn, v = ?




In the vertical direction, N = mg. In the horizontal direction:

Fnet = Fcentripetal = f


Obviously, if the radius of the turn was infinate, you would never stop gaining mph, in theory. We all know with gravity and wind resistance, this doesn't happen.

When going straight, the only thing you have is the amount of gravity (weight) acting on you bike for friction. When youre in a turn, you have the weight and a vectoring force (centripital) added to you, thus making you need more friction to maintain the arch.

More friction = less speed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BadAzzGuitarPlyr said:
:eek:

Dats purty empressive fer a healbilly

I'll say... :beer: and right on the money.... :thumbsup:

Those of you that think you accellerate through the turn at high cornering forces need to twist that wrist a little and put some REAL cornering forces on yourself and your bike..then you'll see what I'm talking about... :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,620 Posts
hillcountry10r said:
I completly dissagree.

Acceleration - change in velocity, also the rate of that change

A 1000 kg car is going around a curve with radius 30 meters. If the coefficient of friction between the car's tires and the road is 0.5, what is the maximum speed at which the car can make the turn?
Solution:

  • mass of car, m = 1000 kg
  • radius of curve, r = 30 m
  • coefficient of friction,
    = 0.5
  • free-fall acceleration, g = 9.8 m/s2
  • maximum speed in the turn, v = ?




In the vertical direction, N = mg. In the horizontal direction:

Fnet = Fcentripetal = f


Obviously, if the radius of the turn was infinate, you would never stop gaining mph, in theory. We all know with gravity and wind resistance, this doesn't happen.

When going straight, the only thing you have is the amount of gravity (weight) acting on you bike for friction. When youre in a turn, you have the weight and a vectoring force (centripital) added to you, thus making you need more friction to maintain the arch.

More friction = less speed

Where did you cut and paste that from Hill? I know that ain't no TX math. :badteeth:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
When you lean the bike over you are running on the smaller side radius of the tire. It appears that you gain speed and rpm because the wheels suddenly got smaller.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
:+1: It will be the smaller diameter of the side of the tyre slowing you down, stand the bike back up and your speed will return :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rohan said:
:+1: It will be the smaller diameter of the side of the tyre slowing you down, stand the bike back up and your speed will return :wink:
actually if that was the case the speedo would increase not decrease because the smaller diameter of the tire would cause the wheel to spin quicker.. :wink: :fu2:


you guys just don't understand.....
if the bike is at max speed AND maxpower it takes more power to turn AND maintain that max speed then it does to just maintain forward speed alone.....the bike doesn't have the power to do that.. :dontknow: Simple as that.
Grow some balls and go out and try it for yourself..you'll see what I mean. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
swjohnsey said:
When you lean the bike over you are running on the smaller side radius of the tire. It appears that you gain speed and rpm because the wheels suddenly got smaller.


did you even read the post???
I said the bike LOOSES SPEED WHEN YOU LEAN IT OVER.
I never said it appeared I gained anything..?? I lost speed and rpm...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
I will use little words so you can understand. Of course your bikes looses speed when you are corning at maximum speed. Turning is accellerating. Now, if you had any experience at the track you would know that when you drop into a corner your speed and rpm seem to increase because you are running on the smaller outer diameter of the tire.
 

·
Hillbillie Mod
Joined
·
20,155 Posts
yall are funny! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I give up.... :dontknow: :mrgreen:
ok wait one more time... :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
swjohnsey said:
I will use little words so you can understand. Of course your bikes looses speed when you are corning at maximum speed. Turning is accellerating. Now, if you had any experience at the track you would know that when you drop into a corner your speed and rpm seem to increase because you are running on the smaller outer diameter of the tire.
Thanks for the little words you were really boggling my brain before.. :lol:

and if YOU had any experience running flatout youwould know that cornering sucks the power right out of the motor. It's no different then if you sat up on the bike at 180...it would slow down considerably wouldn't it? or do you speed up in that situation too. :rolleyes: I don't know I've never tried that at the track..
Seeming to increase and ACTUALLY increasing are two different things..
I agree with your theory at 50 mph but not at 180 :eek:ccasion1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Quote of the week

BFH educating us all "cornering sucks the power right out of the motor"

I suppose you're getting 150-160 hp upright and only 130-140hp while turning. :)
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top