Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm close to having a stroke over here.

I've been wanting to copy some DVDs for years and had no idea how to do it. Somebody told me about Handbrake and AnyDVD. I downloaded them both and with Handbrake I can get the DVD on my computer, but it's worthless to me because I can't burn it back to a DVD in MP4 format. The only other choice I have is MKV and from what I can tell, that won't play in a regular DVD player either. I can watch it on my computer but I don't want to do that. I want to burn a DVD that I can play in my home theater set up.

How the hell do I do this? I'm sure that any 12 year old can have this done in no time and that just makes me feel worse. It can't be THAT hard! :BangHead:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I used slysoft's Anydvd.... will give you a file folder audio and video TS than you just burn those to a video dvd... I use nero... I have any dvd if ya want it.... PM me if ya do

·
Registered
47 Posts
http://www.imgburn.com/
Try ImgBurn - it's small light and free. The best burning program for me.
After install, insert the dvd you want to copy and choose "Crate Image File From Disc". That takes a few minutes. Then put the empty dvd and press "Write Image File To Disc". Wait a few minutes and you are done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you're on a Mac then "MacTheRipper" will make backup copies you can play in your DVD player. Handbrake is for creating files to watch movies on PSP, iPad, or iPod Touch. MacTheRipper is great for making backup DVDs for car trips with the kids.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm using handbrake because somebody told me to use it. I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm on a PC.

I have the trial version of anyDVD. I ripped (I think that's what I did) the DVD to my hard drive using anyDVD and ended up with a folder that is titled Video_TS. Inside that folder are 13 files with weird extensions-.bup, .vob and .ifo.

I'm on the shortest of short busses here. WTF do I do with these files? Can I burn the folder to a DVD and be done or do they have to be converted?

With Handbrake, I've got a mp4 file. I can't figure out how to convert that to an extension that will work on a regular DVD player. Wait a minute... that's what it did last night. This morning it is a .dvd file.

I'll try burning that and see what happens. Few things make me feel dumber than working with a computer. Seriously, I'm so freakin' lost. :dontknow:

Ok, I just burned the .dvd file to a dvd. I might have screwed up ejecting the disk-it asked a bunch of options and I flew right through it. My home theater dvd player isn't reading it. I have a case of .223 that I've been wanting to get in to. Maybe now is a good time to shoot the shit out of my computer....

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
http://www.imgburn.com/
Try ImgBurn - it's small light and free. The best burning program for me.
After install, insert the dvd you want to copy and choose "Crate Image File From Disc". That takes a few minutes. Then put the empty dvd and press "Write Image File To Disc". Wait a few minutes and you are done.
Just tried this one... everything failed. No joy. Copyright protection.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do I want to create an ISO image or audio_ts and video_ts? What format do I need to burn the new DVD in to play on my home theater DVD?

I can't believe I'm dicking around with this on a Saturday night. I missed the Moto2 races, my back hurts and I feel like an idiot.

Of all the things I could be doing, I'm sitting at the computer working on giving myself a heart attack instead of out getting my knob polished, talking to the dog, working out or some damn thing. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

·
I'm here WAY too much..
1,998 Posts
Do I want to create an ISO image or audio_ts and video_ts? What format do I need to burn the new DVD in to play on my home theater DVD?

I can't believe I'm dicking around with this on a Saturday night. I missed the Moto2 races, my back hurts and I feel like an idiot.

Of all the things I could be doing, I'm sitting at the computer working on giving myself a heart attack instead of out getting my knob polished, talking to the dog, working out or some damn thing. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:
It doesnt matter if you use the ISO or folders.. If you are using DVDShrink, in the preferences, there is an option to use NERO to burn the disc. If you do that, then DVDShrink will open NERO automatically and take care of everything.. Don't give yourself a heart attack over this dude, it's really no big deal.. Just a stupid DVD..

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't give yourself a heart attack over this dude, it's really no big deal.. Just a stupid DVD..
That is exactly why this is pissing me off! :crackup: Any 12 year old would have this figured out in 5 minutes. This is a sign of old age I fear. I remember being frustrated at my parents when they bought their first VCR and couldn't figure out how to set the clock or record a show. But I could do it...

I 'found' a copy of Nero 8 and it seems to be running. I'll attack the computer again later. It's too nice of a day to be indoors-even if it is 100 degrees outside.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts