Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

Need some help, Just completed the 14K service, tappets etc etc, all where within spec!, but when I was balancing the throttle bodies I noticed the fan did not kick in (116 Deg C very hot:sad: ). I have checked that all the electrical plugs are plugged back in, the temperature gauge is working, the fan works if you hook it up to a battery and the fan relay is working, also the self diagnostic system is not showing any faults.

Can any body help:eyecrazy:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
chris said:
Hey Guys

Need some help, Just completed the 14K service, tappets etc etc, all where within spec!, but when I was balancing the throttle bodies I noticed the fan did not kick in (116 Deg C very hot:sad: ). I have checked that all the electrical plugs are plugged back in, the temperature gauge is working, the fan works if you hook it up to a battery and the fan relay is working, also the self diagnostic system is not showing any faults.

Can any body help:eyecrazy:
How do you know or should I say, how did you check the Relay to determine it is good?

If you truly are convinced the relay is good then the only thing left to check is the ECU, Water Temperature sensor or the FUSE….I am assuming you checked the fuse already. :badteeth:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the relay by powering it up with the battery and used an ohm meter to see if the circuit was connected, and you could also here it click as it was powered, yes I have checked the fuse.

In terms of checking the ECU is this where the manual talks about a voltage output from certain pins, I'm assuming the tempertaure sensor is OK as the temperature on the instrument panel seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the response

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
chris said:
I checked the relay by powering it up with the battery and used an ohm meter to see if the circuit was connected, and you could also here it click as it was powered, yes I have checked the fuse.

In terms of checking the ECU is this where the manual talks about a voltage output from certain pins, I'm assuming the tempertaure sensor is OK as the temperature on the instrument panel seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the response
Well the temperature sensor has 2 wires going to the ECU...I believe but not sure when the ECU senses there is a closed loop by the sensor the ECU will send the ground to the relay and activate it. When activated the relay will now send 12v to the fan and it will turn on.

So, what I would try that at this point is to apply 12v to the BL/W wire on the harness connector at the relay. That will show that if the relay is active and recieving all proper inputs, and outputs-12v to the fan it will turn on.

If the fan turns on with the 12v you tested with than the relay is not being activated by the ECU. It could be due to the Temp sensor not closing or the ECU not sending the ground on the P/BL wire on the relay to activate it.

If you have a sharp pointed Test light I would just poke through the insulation and wait until the bike gets over 210-215degs and see if the BL/W wire ever gets power(the wire sending power to the fan)..if the light turns on that will tell you for sure everything is working and there is a bad connection from there to the fan.

The wire color on the fan is BL and not BL/W from the relay..so it does have a new connection from the relay to the fan somewhere and there could be a connection problem in between.

I personally from experiance know temp sensors go out...so I suspect the sensor but it's easier to check the other stuff out first.:wink:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
i dont know how the 10s are but on my 03 r1 and a lotta the bikes i've ridden and owned... 116 degrees isnt that hot, my r1 fan doesnt cut off until about 145 or so... and in the city it stays up bout 120 - 130 degrees, bikes runs great w/ no problems... 20K miles and since day 1, its always been like that...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks for that, will try it next week, missus wants to go out at the weekend, how inconciderate!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm a new user and seem to be having problems replying to the right people but you get the jist

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, fixed it

Thnaks for all the help

Spent five hours friday banging my head on the wall, all components seemed OK, eventualy realised that the power to the realy side of the switch was all over the place, different every time I measured it. Traced it to a block connector taped within the harness, it was corroded so bad that the power cable to the relay had just about fell off. Now its sorted it works.

My alarm also works again as this took it power from the same line

What a bu**er. Happy as a dog with two dicks now

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
chris said:
Hey guys, fixed it

Thnaks for all the help

Spent five hours friday banging my head on the wall, all components seemed OK, eventualy realised that the power to the realy side of the switch was all over the place, different every time I measured it. Traced it to a block connector taped within the harness, it was corroded so bad that the power cable to the relay had just about fell off. Now its sorted it works.

My alarm also works again as this took it power from the same line

What a bu**er. Happy as a dog with two dicks now
How do you think it got so corroded? Also, where is that block connector located?...glad it all worked out.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it got so corroded from water entering the harness where the dealer broke in to fit the alarm

The connector is taped within the harness under the left side panel just within the thick bundle of wires just below the ECU

Thanks again

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
chris said:
I think it got so corroded from water entering the harness where the dealer broke in to fit the alarm

The connector is taped within the harness under the left side panel just within the thick bundle of wires just below the ECU

Thanks again
yeah, that makes sense. Your thread may actually help others in the future who have electrical problems. That's why it's important when some or this forum ask for help or are reading threads for help, to list all mods, riding habits(i.e ride in the rain or live in Guam), recently installed this or that...etc. etc. . That's why I asked the question on the reason for the corrosion in the first place :wink: :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts