Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all track day riders and racers to the forefront for some advice please

I have a performance riding school on Sunday and they want to see me drop my coolant and replace with distilled water. I haven't done this before because the local track org doesn't require it. Does anyone have any advice or tips that would be helpful?

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Calling all track day riders and racers to the forefront for some advice please

I have a performance riding school on Sunday and they want to see me drop my coolant and replace with distilled water. I haven't done this before because the local track org doesn't require it. Does anyone have any advice or tips that would be helpful?

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

Should be a simple swap out. Use water wetter and you should be good to go. Some orgs allow engine ice some dont. They all will allow water wetter.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
yep get some water wetter and some distilled water. Flush the system out with water then add the right amount of water wetter once you have all the coolant out. There is an engine drain for the coolant, drain all out then I usually run water thru once or twice with the bike running so the thermostat opens.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
thank you very much guys
Brandon, if you look at the bottom of your water pump, you'll find a 8mm bolt with a copper washer. Open your rad cap and then take that bolt out. All of your antifreeze will then drain from your cooling system.

Once that is done, put the bolt in, and then add water and flush it by starting the bike and letting the water circulate.

Once again drain

Then put the bolt back in for the last time,add distilled water,and water wetter if you choose (suggested) and let the bike run while you burp the system.

Your done. It shouldn't take longer than 20 minutes.

This will be required for all events at Castrol raceway regardless of trackday provider.

See you Sunday.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
It's a good idea to get some extra oem copper crush washers and replace that with a new one when you tighten the bolt back and refill your system. Last thing you want is a leak in your cooling system. They're very cheap to pick up at most any local cycle shop.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
619 Posts
You should use "RO" water NOT "Distilled" water.

You should not use "Distilled" water unless using at least a 50/50 "antifreeze" mixture.

Water Wetter (I use Maxima Cool-Aide) or any other
sufactant, Glycol free, etc. you should should use RO water.

short version...... Distilling removes all the minerals (RO doesn't) from the
water and when using in one the above mixtures the mixture
will basically start getting minerals from the metals in your cooling
system, engine block, radiator, etc. When using a 50/50 antifreeze mixture
there's enough minerals in the antifreeze and distilled is ok.

Has something to do more with "water molecules that are electrochemically imbalanced"
There's plenty of TSB's around on the subject.

·
Registered
619 Posts
It's a good idea to get some extra oem copper crush washers and replace that with a new one when you tighten the bolt back and refill your system. Last thing you want is a leak in your cooling system. They're very cheap to pick up at most any local cycle shop.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
If you don't have any spare/new copper crush washers you can
also "Anneal" the old ones with a torch.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You should use "RO" water NOT "Distilled" water.

You should not use "Distilled" water unless using at least a 50/50 "antifreeze" mixture.

Water Wetter (I use Maxima Cool-Aide) or any other
sufactant, Glycol free, etc. you should should use RO water.

short version...... Distilling removes all the minerals (RO doesn't) from the
water and when using in one the above mixtures the mixture
will basically start getting minerals from the metals in your cooling
system, engine block, radiator, etc. When using a 50/50 antifreeze mixture
there's enough minerals in the antifreeze and distilled is ok.

Has something to do more with "water molecules that are electrochemically imbalanced"
There's plenty of TSB's around on the subject.

I haven't been able to find any info in regards to this. Can you post a link or 2 so I can read up on it?

I have been using distilled water and water wetter for 10 plus years so this seems like it would be good info to have.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I haven't been able to find any info in regards to this. Can you post a link or 2 so I can read up on it?

I have been using distilled water and water wetter for 10 plus years so this seems like it would be good info to have.
I read about it a while back. When engines had iron blocks
and brass radiators was not an issue.

I dug around a little, here's couple of tidbits....

No-Rosion

Q. Should I use distilled water as coolant?

A. Yes. But only in a 50/50 mix. Distilled water should not be used
as straight water coolant, because it can cause damage to system metals.
The reason has to do with how distilled water is created.

During the distillation process, water is vaporized into its gaseous phase,
so all impurities are left behind. These impurities include a number of minerals,
including calcium and magnesium, the two components of hardness. The water is
then condensed back into its liquid phase, so the resulting liquid is pure water.
In fact, some of the purest water on earth. The problem is that distillation strips
impurities from water, resulting in water molecules that are electrochemically imbalanced.
So distilled water will actually strip electrons from the metals in a cooling system as it
attempts to rebalance itself electrochemically. This can result in damage to metals
in a cooling system.

Using distilled water in combination with 50% antifreeze effectively cuts the amount
of distilled water in half. By compounding with glycol, it will not cause damage to
metals in a cooling system. For this reason, it is safe to use distilled water in a 50/50 mix.

Q. What type of water is best to use as straight water coolant?

A. Reverse osmosis (RO) water. Rather than stripping impurities from water,
RO filters them through a membrane. The resulting water is electrochemically stable,
and not harmful to metals in a cooling system. RO water is every bit as pure as distilled water,
but without the risk of electrochemical stripping of electrons from system metals.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Royal Purple - Tech tip

Distilled water and / or demineralized water should not be used if you elect to run a
mixture of straight water and Purple Ice in your radiator. Contact Royal Purple’s
Technical Support department if you are considering using Purple Ice with straight water

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amsoil - Tech tip

Use water with low chloride content. The safest source
is reverse osmosis (RO) water. Neither distilled water nor
deionized water is suitable for engine coolant use unless
mixed 50/50 with antifreeze.

Tap water with low chloride content may be used. Before
using tap water as engine coolant, consumers with aluminum
or alloy radiators are advised to contact their municipalities
to determine whether chloride in the tap water
exceeds 25 ppm. If it does, bottled drinking water should
be used. Note: water processed through water softeners
does not remove chloride.

Bottled drinking water is highly recommended because
it consists of high-quality RO water and is available nationwide
in liter and gallon-size containers.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,019 Posts
From Water Wetters website...

USE DIRECTIONS
One 12 ounce bottle treats 12-16 quarts of water or a
50% ethylene or propylene glycol solution. In smaller
cooling systems, use 4-5 caps per quart. Add directly
through the cooling system fill cap into the radiator or
into the overflow tank. Do not open a cooling system
while hot. For best protection for aluminum, replenish
or replace every 15,000 miles. The anti-scaling ingredients in Red Line WaterWetter® allow its use with
ordinary tap water. However, using with distilled or
deionized water will accomplish some scale removal
in the cylinder head area. Plain water with or without
WaterWetter®should not be used in cooling systems
containing magnesium - antifreeze should be used -with WaterWetter®.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,635 Posts
Wow. This thread blew up.

Distilled water is what should be used. Period. It's free of impurities for a reason- because that is what causes the problems when they settle out in the motor and causes build up. Distilled water is vapor purified. It should not be used straight because it's not a good for corrosion or as a lubricant. That's where Water Wetter comes in. It helps lubricate the pump and helps stop corrosion. It's also a surficant. That means it helps stop the micro bubbles that form in the water and helps give the water a 100% surface contact with the radiator for maximum cooling.

Water Wetter + Distilled water = Perfect.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Seems water wetter is ok with distilled however reverse osmosis is a safe bet with all manufacturers.

Thanks for the info. This has never been brought to my attention in the past.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts