Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We noticed a puddle of coolant under my brother's bike after a ride. The bike does not overheat....never has. Pulled the fairings the next day and the coolant overflow tank was slam full and the radiator was down by the amount the recovery tank was over full.

Again, the bike never overheats. What would cause the coolant to fill up the overflow tank and not drain back into the radiator? Could the radiator cap be defective?

I did a full search in the factory service manual trouble-shooting section...doesn't address this problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pull the coolant hoses and check for obstructions (especially small one). Numbnuts I bought my bike from had used a bunch of 'stop leak' and I had the same problem when I first got mine. Also, do a good flush.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I hear you about the "stop leak"....the manuals for all my bikes say absolutely NOT to use stop leak. :headshake

·
Registered
27 Posts
Start up the bike with the radiator cap off... check for frequent air bubbles.

I had a Honda civic where the head gasket went bad once and it would force exhaust gases into the cooling system, so the coolant tank would constantly overflow and then the car would start to overheat because it pushed all the water out.

Just a thought.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Start up the bike with the radiator cap off... check for frequent air bubbles.
That was my first thought. Subscribed to see what works for you should this ever happen to myself or a friend.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Just wondering what happened to this as my Gen4 has just started overheating. went for a ride couple of days ago and the overflow res was full of coolant and had bubbles in it. bike overheats now FML.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts