Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i took off my cap to case and looked at the rim of opening and i swear i thoought i saw i bright greenish/yellow liquid dot.....then looked on the inside of the case cap and there were lkil droplets on the inside of it....even a dumb guy would say "hey thats coolant".......uh...guys.....WHAT THE HELL HAPPEN?!?!
can anyone please tell me the possible causes..hoe its gettin in there...and definately the fix for this...thanx

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hard to tell from what you have said. Motor sound ok? Sweet smell coming out of the exhaust? That could be a pushed head gasket.

Tell me a little more about the bike? What you use it for and how you use it?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
If you're concerned, drop the oil to see if there really is coolant in it, or something weird just on the cap.

I would guess you got coolant in the oil one of three ways (in order of worst news to best):
1.) Blown head gasket
2.) If there's an oil cooler in the radiator - possible bad radiator (I don't know if this is even a possibility on the ten)
3.) Some idiot put coolant in there.

Best of luck, but if there really is coolant in your oil...it's not good news.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Condensation?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah she sounds alright and runs hard as hell still,just PCIII and she is responding beautifully to it...i only street ride...no other mods besides commander and air filter...she has alot of miles on her ALOT.....i need my valves done im sure(could that be the key?)
i would like like to say that the green is cuz of syn oil,but im sure i saw seperated droplets of green...

·
Registered
860 Posts
Could be condensation but thats usually milky/yellow and after a bikes been sitting in a cold climate for awhile. Texas doesn't get that cold but can be very humid. So maybe.... Probably a blown head gasket or cracked cylinder. Any white smoke during operation or at start up? You should probably do a compression and leak down test. Let us know the results and we might be able to give a little more insight before you tear it down.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Take a look at the oil in the sight glass. If it looks like oil (black/brown), that's good. If it looks like a milkshake, that's bad.

If it looks like oil, start the engine and run it for a minute then check it again. If it looks like oil, that's good. If it looks foamy (a minor amount right at the top of the oil is OK) then you are using oil with insufficient antifoaming additives, but it's still not a big problem. If it looks like a milkshake, that's bad.

The best way to get rid of condensation in the engine, is to get the engine thoroughly warmed up (oil temperature > 90 C, preferably around 100 C) to boil off the water and draw it into the engine. Short trips that don't get the oil all the way up to temperature can let condensation accumulate.

IF the oil looks like a milkshake, you have a big problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as far havin any white smoke nope....and yeah ive looked thru the sight glass and she is regular oil.....ill run outside here in a bit and take her out then see if the oil comes back milky...i use Mobil1 in her...

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
as far havin any white smoke nope....and yeah ive looked thru the sight glass and she is regular oil.....ill run outside here in a bit and take her out then see if the oil comes back milky...i use Mobil1 in her...

Crack head or block, blown or weak head gasket, don't forget to check the waterpump...this one can be a bitch!

Do a compression test and get a rad pressure tester... Pain in the arse sometimes!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If you have added (too much) ignition timing to your power commander it can sometimes cause detonation. This will lift the head ever so slightly allowing oil and coolant to mix.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
waterpump? thats hasnt been mentioned yet....is this a typical problem if the water pump is fragged?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Ordinarily, a water pump seal leak will leak to the outside, because there is a vent hole between the water-side shaft seal and the oil-side shaft seal. If the vent hole is plugged, it could cause cross contamination, but that would require a combination failure (of both the seal and the vent hole).

I have a funny feeling from subsequent posts that there's nothing wrong, just condensation.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
and QUICK10 is the winner......you guys can call my a dumb*ss.....i changed the oil today...didnt see anything wierd in the drain container....so as i poured my new oil alil dropped on the ground and the another droplet in that one.....the color changed to the same color i saw on the cap...so i took a the new oil container and poured a few droplets in the old oil and yeah....the droplets were the same color i saw....lol who knew...yeah im a tard!!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
:thumbsup:All that matters is that it's ok! Congrats!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol yeah i got reeses all over my face with this thread now(BEENTHERE)...lol

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Glad there wasn't anything wrong. It's actually a good thing you're aware though. A lot of people don't pay any attention until something blows up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts