Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
ZX10RR
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hi all so a bit of backstory and stage to show you how the universe conspired to get me what I wanted lol.
I had a green 2017 KRT, which I loved. While having it the 19'RR was released and I totally fell in love with its looks. Im a huge fan of the kawi green and that one really is as green as they go really. I went to the local Kawasaki dealer to ask about it and the price here is just awful, its price was around 48 grand. Yes, here import taxes are terrible.

I paid 22g for what I had, so it made no sense to ever bother with that so I just forgot.
A few months later, my 17'KRT was stolen and got 24g from the insurance. Great !
So here to Uruguay, only 2 18'RR and 1 SE came. Of the used RR was for sale and managed to get it cheap for 22g (its brand new price was 36g)! but black, which honestly I dislike but I wanted something better than what I had so I went for it anyway.

I noticed I could at least in theory, convert its looks to the 19' since all the other parts matched perfectly.

I checked the oem price for all the green stuff and the price was just crazy, and that was without even counting the stickers and tank so I ditched that idea.

About a month after getting the RR, I had my front tyre lose grip and had a low speed drop, my fault for trying to go "Rea" with cold tires on winter.

Notice the small dent in the tank, it will be relevant later.

I used my insurance to get it fixed and the deal was, don't paint anything, everything must be new and they agreed.

cont...

·
Registered
ZX10RR
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, a month and half later most parts are here and I was back riding but waiting for other parts for the repair to be complete and I find this in ebay randomly

which was this

So if I could buy this, id only need a front fender and a tank. So there is no way I was going to paint the brand new tank I was getting. The "broken" parts, well the insurance is the owner so I was outta luck on getting the dented tank. I had to try so I called the insurance and had to talk to several people, was looking to buy the parts they were going to get, told em I was interested just in the tank mostly.
No luck, they told me they didnt sell those parts and that was it.

Later that day, I get a call from them and told me THAT IS WAS OK FOR ME TO JUST KEEP ALL THE PARTS FOR FREE !!

A few mins later I was in contact with edr directly managed to set a good deal for all these parts
Plan at that time was to get a brand new oem fender, since the RR one was sold before I could buy it.
Fortunately like a week after I purchased these, the EDR guy contacted me telling me they got a KRT green front fender for sale and bought that too from them and saved a lot.

Next challenge was getting all of these safely to Uruguay and trying to avoid taxes that as I said before they are terrible...

·
Registered
ZX10RR
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So here, you can get stuff and avoid taxes as long its new stuff and its price is under 200 USD.
To make that happen, we ship stuff to couriers and then they ship it here by plane. I had the EDR guys do many changes and ship the parts in 2 different boxes.
Anyway long story short, managed to get em here saying it was some cheap chinese fairing set.

While getting these I also purchased all the tank's stickers from partzilla and got em here as well.
This week, talked to 7 different painters and finally got one that matched my search criteria. He will start the work on the tank next Monday (16th). I still have the dented tank on the bike (since the new oem one is in backorder) so next weekend I'll strip the RR and we'll see how it goes, I'll post updates! Next challenges will be 1. Managing to match the kawi green 777 paint and 2. putting the tank stickers in the right place.

·
Registered
273 Posts
congrats... the green RR looks fantastic

i understand the pain of the import taxes, they are pretty bad here in thailand also... new ZX10RR is $32,8k usd here, base model zx10r is $23,3k... i left the US 8 years ago and the only thing i really miss are the low bike prices.... riders back home dont realize how lucky they are, especially the 2nd hand market.... even 10 year old superbikes still sell for crazy prices here.

and yes, the re-shipping re-labeling trick works to help avoid import taxes, unless you are unlucky and your package happens to interest a customs agent with too much time on his hands... theyre actually allowed to assign their own value they just make up, and ignore the printed receipt value... but most of the time can get through with minimal tax if youre lucky.

·
Registered
ZX10RR
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
congrats... the green RR looks fantastic

i understand the pain of the import taxes, they are pretty bad here in thailand also... new ZX10RR is $32,8k usd here, base model zx10r is $23,3k... i left the US 8 years ago and the only thing i really miss are the low bike prices.... riders back home dont realize how lucky they are, especially the 2nd hand market.... even 10 year old superbikes still sell for crazy prices here.

and yes, the re-shipping re-labeling trick works to help avoid import taxes, unless you are unlucky and your package happens to interest a customs agent with too much time on his hands... theyre actually allowed to assign their own value they just make up, and ignore the printed receipt value... but most of the time can get through with minimal tax if youre lucky.
Thanks !
Yeah its the same thing here for most stuff, except that the taxes are worse 😕
Anyhow so far it has always worked and ive managed to buy anything, this box was huge tho so it was an added risk but it went by anyway so yay !

·
The Pace
7,045 Posts
Why? Not about looks, this bike. It's about learning, adjusting, study, reflection, re-study (Code's work), testing, etc. Show bitch is wall paper. No value no gain. No gain no learning. No learning no peak experience. None of this will make a tat of sense to you UNLESS you learned how to learn; and that's tricky.

·
Registered
ZX10RR
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why? Not about looks, this bike. It's about learning, adjusting, study, reflection, re-study (Code's work), testing, etc. Show bitch is wall paper. No value no gain. No gain no learning. No learning no peak experience. None of this will make a tat of sense to you UNLESS you learned how to learn; and that's tricky.
Wait what?

Im doing it all myself except for the paint so for sure I'm learning stuff!!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,879 Posts
Wow. That's a great looking GREEN bike you got in the end! Glad to hear you fought the good fight to get it the way you wanted! That's awesome!

·
Registered
ZX10RR
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hope it is, this weekend I start its disassembly!
Im also gonna have the painter do a ceramic coating to all the parts, tank included. But he told me I need to wait at least a week before I can do the treatment to the newly painted tank so its gonna take a minimum of 2 weeks to get it all done.

·
Registered
ZX10RR
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so update. Tank is out and painted. I already disassembled all the tail and the tank part obviously. Will do all the sides and front this weekend.
Tank had the scratch fixed and today it was painted with the 777 green ! I had to go and put the stickers in place which was way more complicated than I expected but it went well.

Attachments

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,879 Posts
That looks sweet so far!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts