Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I still lurk every other day or so. Hoping to get back on a 10 next year.

Anyways, I've been helping my buddy with his recently and he purchased a convertable clutch from Hays. It's a piece of artwork for sure. I am using a clutch kit from Cycle Concepts, which my buddy had in his bike before (survived 2 years of hard launches), but this one looks different than the other one I put in for him which may be the issue. Old Cycle Concepts clutch kit was all fibers and steels. New kit comes with a double steel something that looks like a cushion spring or something of the like. The rest of the steels are dimpled unlike the old clutch kit I put in where the steels were solid.

I got everything installed from the new clutch kit, missing a friction and steel to get proper stack height and the bike is having issues. It's like I cannot get enough clutch travel. I adjust the cable to completely engage the clutch and I cannot disengage fully. I adjust to disengage fully and it will not engage all the way. Tim Hays sent the clutch ready for street mode. It has 3 springs triangulated on the cover with 4 springs between the cover and the hat. No springs on the outside for it to be a slider.

I played with stack height using the old steels without the new cushion double steel thing, had air gap everywhere between .058-.104 and the problems with the clutch not moving enough persisted. No combination I could do solved the issue.

I've been talking with Tim Hays and he really doesn't know what's going on. Any help or advice here?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hello all,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I still lurk every other day or so. Hoping to get back on a 10 next year.

Anyways, I've been helping my buddy with his recently and he purchased a convertable clutch from Hays. It's a piece of artwork for sure. I am using a clutch kit from Cycle Concepts, which my buddy had in his bike before (survived 2 years of hard launches), but this one looks different than the other one I put in for him which may be the issue. Old Cycle Concepts clutch kit was all fibers and steels. New kit comes with a double steel something that looks like a cushion spring or something of the like. The rest of the steels are dimpled unlike the old clutch kit I put in where the steels were solid.

I got everything installed from the new clutch kit, missing a friction and steel to get proper stack height and the bike is having issues. It's like I cannot get enough clutch travel. I adjust the cable to completely engage the clutch and I cannot disengage fully. I adjust to disengage fully and it will not engage all the way. Tim Hays sent the clutch ready for street mode. It has 3 springs triangulated on the cover with 4 springs between the cover and the hat. No springs on the outside for it to be a slider.

I played with stack height using the old steels without the new cushion double steel thing, had air gap everywhere between .058-.104 and the problems with the clutch not moving enough persisted. No combination I could do solved the issue.

I've been talking with Tim Hays and he really doesn't know what's going on. Any help or advice here?

Thank you
Is this a Hay's lockup clutch

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If I read you first post right your putting in a clutch thats 2 years old. Not the best Idea. I'm sure you checked for warped plates and their all good. Whats the recommended stack height. You may have to screw around with a couple of different combinations to get it right unless your sure you have it correct. I had an MRE lockup clutch in my SC dragbike. I had to add an extra fiber to get the stack height correct. Your better off trying to adjust stack height with fibers than steels.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I read you first post right your putting in a clutch thats 2 years old. Not the best Idea. I'm sure you checked for warped plates and their all good. Whats the recommended stack height. You may have to screw around with a couple of different combinations to get it right unless your sure you have it correct. I had an MRE lockup clutch in my SC dragbike. I had to add an extra fiber to get the stack height correct. Your better off trying to adjust stack height with fibers than steels.
I have a brand new clutch pack with steels that I first tried to install. I was using the 2 year old steels to swap out the new to attempt to get the stack height correct. Where did you add the fiber? Did you have it fiber to fiber?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have a brand new clutch pack with steels that I first tried to install. I was using the 2 year old steels to swap out the new to attempt to get the stack height correct. Where did you add the fiber? Did you have it fiber to fiber?
I added the fiber at the top of the stack so it was fiber to fiber.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts