Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like it .... I like the rule, but I don't like Stone getting the automatic bump to the front of the line. If making Moto GP more competitive thru the tire rule then why not have all the riders on Michelin ?? When Pirelli got the SBK deal their tires were a full 2 seconds slower than the out going Michelin SBK tires. The automatic shit on Michelin kind pisses me off .. :fu2:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2008/September/22-28/sep2408-motogp-to-confirm-bridgestone-tyres-for-2009/

·
Accountant in training.
2,847 Posts
Only 6 riders are on Michelin. It was turning into a spec tire series by default.

It is too bad though. Because if Michelin had been the spec tire years back, Bridgestone wouldn't have been able to get to where they are currently at.

I would have liked to see them pull a move like WSBK though. Pick a noncompetitive tire, and force everyone to run them. :crackup:

Chris

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,634 Posts
That's :bs:

Let the teams decide what tires to run. Just because everyone is running 'Stones now means Michelin better step up to the plate or the market will push them out like they're doing now. Why intervene with a regulation governing this? How is Michelin supposed to improve their product if they're regulated out of the series? Do you think Bridgestone will be constantly improving their product when there is no one competing against them for top honors? It just slows down innovation as far as I'm concerned and I don't like that.

·
Accountant in training.
2,847 Posts
Do you think Bridgestone will be constantly improving their product when there is no one competing against them for top honors?
:+1:

Look at how many years it took Perelli to catch up to where the Michelins were....

Chris

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
just crazy. i agree. let the teams pick the tires. now they want to slow down the speed in turns.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I don't like it .... I like the rule, but I don't like Stone getting the automatic bump to the front of the line. If making Moto GP more competitive thru the tire rule then why not have all the riders on Michelin ?? When Pirelli got the SBK deal their tires were a full 2 seconds slower than the out going Michelin SBK tires. The automatic shit on Michelin kind pisses me off ..
Might piss ya off but who's to blame??? Michelin themselves thats who because they had their hay day with Rossi producing overnight goodie tires for him and ONLY him to win consecutive titles and now for 2yrs straight Michelin has had a shot across their bow by Bstone to respond and can't come with the goods, fuggum i say and give someone else a shot.

BD

·
Registered
224 Posts
Let them pick their own tires and then drop the traction control. Let them RACE. Let the rider have control of the bike again.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
Let them pick their own tires and then drop the traction control. Let them RACE. Let the rider have control of the bike again.
That would be great! Bridgestone has a monopoly on Moto Gp and Formula 1, they are doing good for themselves thats for sure.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Michelin should have upped there game for the 2008 season. They had issues two years in a row and now nobody wants to use them. It's their own fault

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might piss ya off but who's to blame??? Michelin themselves thats who because they had their hay day with Rossi producing overnight goodie tires for him and ONLY him to win consecutive titles and now for 2yrs straight Michelin has had a shot across their bow by Bstone to respond and can't come with the goods, fuggum i say and give someone else a shot.

BD
Its more of a respect thing in my book.I thought Rossi spit in Michelin's face this year with his abrupt switch to the Stone tire team. Ya know, all the late night special tires Michelin brewed up for Rossi at the track to win the championships you mentioned. I'm well aware that Michelin has had a leg up in the past , my problem is that Stone has JUST in the past year or 2 become a good tire, and now Michelin wont get the chance to step up their game and compete with them. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Michelin should just fade away. The tires the provide for racing here in the states suck. I can't think of any racer or race won by a bike with Michelin tires. And they are more expensive than Pirelli or Bridgestone to boot. Maybe Michelin should think about making cruiser tires. Oh wait Dunlop makes a great cruiser tire.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,058 Posts
That's :bs:

Let the teams decide what tires to run. Just because everyone is running 'Stones now means Michelin better step up to the plate or the market will push them out like they're doing now. Why intervene with a regulation governing this? How is Michelin supposed to improve their product if they're regulated out of the series? Do you think Bridgestone will be constantly improving their product when there is no one competing against them for top honors? It just slows down innovation as far as I'm concerned and I don't like that.
I say let them run what they want to run. If one manftr becomes predominate the others will have to step up there game to compete.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only reason Bridgestone was able to close the gap and pass Michelin was because the rule allowing manufacturers to make tires at the track was changed in an effort to lower cost and promote competition.

This changed everything for Michelin who in the past was able to take true real time data from the riders on race day and make the best tire for for that track on that day. Michelin had the fastest, safest tires on the planet. Their entire development and engineering process was designed around this paradigm.

The change over did lower costs however....for Bridgestone. Michelin on the other hand had to spend millions re-engineering their entire R&D and production process thus setting them back and opening the door for Bridgestone. Michelin didn't suddenly forget how to make good tires. Bridgestone is neither the hero nor the villian in this drama, they are simply the beneficiary of circumstance.

Michelin has been a staple of the sport, especially Grand Prix racing. They have more world titles than Bridgestone, Pirelli, and Dunlop combined. It remains to be seen if their will to compete will be enough to claw their way back into the sport they so recently dominated.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Michelin should just fade away. The tires the provide for racing here in the states suck. I can't think of any racer or race won by a bike with Michelin tires. And they are more expensive than Pirelli or Bridgestone to boot. Maybe Michelin should think about making cruiser tires. Oh wait Dunlop makes a great cruiser tire.

If you are going to take race results here in the USA to make your point then maybe Dunlop should be the tire for MotoGP?. How many Superbike races has Bridgestone won here in the states ? Shit, how many club races or club championships have been won by racers on Stones compared to Michelin.:dontknow: :lol:
Don't think for a minute that Bridgestone race tires here in the US are anything like the Stones that are being used by the GP guys. I would run Michelin slicks and DOT's here at any track in the US before I EVER put a set of Stones on my track bike. :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts