Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled off the Duncraps and put on a set of Conti Sport Attack’s in the factory sizes for my ’06 10.

I had 3100 miles on the stock tires and the front was still OK but the back had steel showing (just barely).

The Conti’s seemed nice right away but until I had them “scrubbed in” I wasn’t pushing them at all. Honestly any new tires feel good when you first ride your bike having pulled off a set of worn out ones.

I now have around 300 miles on the Conti’s and they are definitely better than the Dunlops. After my ride today I looked at my rear tire and had a little over 1/8 inch chicken strips so I haven’t pushed them out all the way yet but I will!

I was taking it a little east today as this is the first day in a week of snow and ice that I could ride. We had a fair amount of rain that followed the freezing weather which helped wash away the sand and crap but I was still a little tentative on all of my favorite curves.

I never had any slipping on the tires, except for one time when I hit a little patch of sand. I saw it coming and was prepared for it. The slight slip I got was impressive and very controllable. Needless to say I made sure my front didn’t hit it!

My favorite tires are (of course) the Pilot Powers but as we all know they are not yet available in the 190/55 and I wasn’t going to shell out $175 + shipping for a rear only. The Conti’s were $204 delivered for the pair and if the lifespan of the Duncraps is any indication I don’t guess the PP’s will last any longer.

As time goes on I will be adding to this thread what I think of these tires based on my experience going through 8 sets of PP’s on my XB12R over the last couple of years.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Conti's rock I tried to tell a bunch of people on the R6 board and they all told me I was high and "all we run are then pilots" bla bla bla!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
IDK if i should go for the PP2ct or those conti. Which one will last longer? and reguardless of longitivity, whice one has better tracktion? Also i'm aware of the big price diffrence.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
blackhawk10 said:
IDK if i should go for the PP2ct or those conti. Which one will last longer? and reguardless of longitivity, whice one has better tracktion? Also i'm aware of the big price diffrence.
Just a guess but i'd say they will both last about the same. We don't wear out these tires 'cause we corner too much. We wear out the center of them 'cause we got wicked powerful bikes!

I have to believe that the 2CT's will have better traction in the corners at least they should considering the 2 compound technology (thus the price).

The point I am going to find out is: Are these tires (the Conti's) as good as you need on the street, even considering very hard cornerning demand and straight line acceleration. If these tires will do as well as Pilot Powers (in my opinion) and last 3000 miles or more (for the rear). I say thumbs up and I will buy them again.

3000 miles is all I expect to get out of a rear tire the way I ride. I don't do wheelies (intentionally) or burn outs, but I do rip the throttle WFO a lot, in any gear. And yes the front end does tend to lift a fair amount. The distinction I need to make here is that when the front end does come up it's due to the power at full throttle and I'm kissing the front faring to try to get it back down.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
blackhawk10 said:
My test on the traction is going to be how much they will slip on slick asphalt.

OK you're from Texas so you know those two lane FM roads where they have used tar to fill cracks in the asphalt. Then in the hot summer days when that tar flows and creates this shiny black very smooth surface.

If I can go all out over that shiny black tar and not slip too much, they are as good as the pilot powers. I already know I can't with the dunlops 'cause i slipped like crap through some of that stuff a month ago. Way worse that the PP's ever did on my XB12R. :wink:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
good write up... my moneys still on the corsa III though as my favorite. ive got a set waiting to be spooned 190/55 rear even!! ive also got a brand new set of pilot powers 120/70 190/50 that i think im going to sell to buy another set of corsa III's.

but for the price difference these may be worth checkin into. the corsa III's with a 120/70 front and a 190/55 rear are runnin me $275.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
$204 Delivered?? Where from??? I will need a set soon and my Z1000 will need the road attacks my next summer...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am running the conti's. I love them, much better than the dunlops. Turn-in is much better. I know everyone loves the PP's, but for the price, no thanks.

I have never heard a bad review of the Conti Attacks from anyone on this board.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
kawi1000 said:
Hoser were did you order it. that's a very good price for Pirelli's.

my local shop does them for me at that price for the 120/70 - 190/55 combo... and they do the 120/70 - 190/50 corsa III's for $255 for me... good guys, they take care of me pretty good. i kinda played middle man on getting them hooked up on our local forum so they take care of us.

i dont know if they could do anything to have them shipped though. give em a call 814-652-5252 and ask for daryl. he may be able to work something that instead of being delivered to them it gets sent to you.

·
Registered
353 Posts
sport attacks will be my next set. which i need now. just got a nail in my rear dunlops, and i only got 1800 miles on them. so time for a new set of tires.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
it's about time the word got out on these tires. i have them on my bike since last year. two things that stick out. milage on the tire is between 2500 to 3000 miles. the tire have to be warm up. don't do any hard riding until a few milee or a lot of miles if the weather is cold or the pavement.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have to agree, the Conti's are great. I just ordered my second rear. I only got 3000 on my other rear and i never do wheelies or burnouts (seriously, i never do). I never had any slipping problems and you can lean quite a bit farther (at least i can) than with the OEM dunlops. I love em and will probably keep getting them.

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
lionheart said:
My test on the traction is going to be how much they will slip on slick asphalt.

OK you're from Texas so you know those two lane FM roads where they have used tar to fill cracks in the asphalt. Then in the hot summer days when that tar flows and creates this shiny black very smooth surface.

If I can go all out over that shiny black tar and not slip too much, they are as good as the pilot powers. I already know I can't with the dunlops 'cause i slipped like crap through some of that stuff a month ago. Way worse that the PP's ever did on my XB12R. :wink:

I had that same problem with the d208's when going over those tar snakes or whatever u call 'em?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts