Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time for me to get a new set of tires and I have shortlisted Conti Race Attack Street (not the sport attack which comes on the s1000rr) and the diablo rosso corsa. i will be using these tires 50/50 street/track. I do not want to use a full race spec tire as I would not be utilizing its capabilities and they will wear out too quickly. Magazine tests put these tires around 2 seconds slower compared to the supercorsa per lap, so both these tires have similar capabilities. If anyone has used these tires at the track, it would be nice to hear what you have to say about them. What pressures did you run? How was the wear rate (how many track days did you manage out of them- please specify which bike you used them on). Anything you didn't like about them? Any info will be much appreciated. Thanks.:dontknow:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I have read a lot on both tires but have not used either.

Tires i've run Metzler M-1, Metzler M-3, Bridgestones BT-014, Dunlops 207 and Pirellie Corsa III.

The Conti is a noticeably heavier tire than the Roso, which means slower response over all; ie turning and acceleration.

The Roso is a bit firm and sends a lot of road feel up into the bike also neutral steering.

From what I have read for value the Bridgestones BT-016 is a great find. Excellent grip and fast warm up and neutral steering and very cost effective. Wear is not great and the front tends to wear a bit fast.

Of the two you are looking at I would go with the Roso and perhaps run them at 28 psi front and 30 rear. I'm on DC III and LOVE THEM but will try the BT-016 next year due to cost of the rear corsa III.

My vote Corsa Roso...

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have read a lot on both tires but have not used either.

Tires i've run Metzler M-1, Metzler M-3, Bridgestones BT-014, Dunlops 207 and Pirellie Corsa III.

The Conti is a noticeably heavier tire than the Roso, which means slower response over all; ie turning and acceleration.

The Roso is a bit firm and sends a lot of road feel up into the bike also neutral steering.

From what I have read for value the Bridgestones BT-016 is a great find. Excellent grip and fast warm up and neutral steering and very cost effective. Wear is not great and the front tends to wear a bit fast.

Of the two you are looking at I would go with the Roso and perhaps run them at 28 psi front and 30 rear. I'm on DC III and LOVE THEM but will try the BT-016 next year due to cost of the rear corsa III.

My vote Corsa Roso...
I agree that the front tyre on the bt016 wear out too fast. On my brother's gen 3, the front wore out quicker than the rear. It was shocking. In terms of wear, how many miles/kms did you get out of your corsa III?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I agree that the front tyre on the bt016 wear out too fast. On my brother's gen 3, the front wore out quicker than the rear. It was shocking. In terms of wear, how many miles/kms did you get out of your corsa III?
Front 28 psi cold; about 7K miles then they are in pretty bad shape. The rear 28 PSI cold; about 6K miles, but the rear is bald at this point with wire showing.

DC III are so good though. This is my 2nd set. It's the price that kills. Avg. price $200+ for a rear and $140 front Excellent grip, soaks up bumps etc. Neutral steering great feed back.

I may try the Michellen 2ct (sp) since you say the front BT016 wears so fast. I normally need a new set every season I do about 6000 miles per season easy...

·
Chairman of the Board
15,998 Posts
Ive used the Road attacks and they were really good. Not as sticky as the Race Attacks Im sure but very confidence inspiring and predictable. Im on the Pilot 2ct's now and Ill have to say they are amazing!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I found some lap time comparisons on some popular tires. Test conducted by PS and Motorrad magazines (Germany). By the way, Dunlop sportsmart is the Q2 equivalent for europe.

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like I will be going with the Diablo Rosso Corsa. Provides grip and lap times like DOT rubber and lasts longer. Anybody used dunlop GPRA 11 tires? We get them here in Aus and there are supposed to be a niche above the Q2s.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've got the dunlop 209's on the zx10 and I am very happy with them. Went with190 55 rear

I've got power pures on the sv1000s and I am very happy with them. They are super light.

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
Looks like I will be going with the Diablo Rosso Corsa. Provides grip and lap times like DOT rubber and lasts longer. Anybody used dunlop GPRA 11 tires? We get them here in Aus and there are supposed to be a niche above the Q2s.
Smart man. All I ride are Pirelli. I am on second set of original Rossos. I am going to swap to the Rosso Corsas since before this I was on Corsas already.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Late to the party but have used Pirelli DCs, DCIIIs, Dunlop 209GPs, 209GPAs, and now Conti Race Attack comp and Street.

Short version... I couldn't really outride any of them. I regularly got to the edge of the DCs and the DCIIIs but they were a 50 series tire. If someone was giving me tires, I would vote for 209GPA and then Race Attack is a very close second. For my money, I go with Race Attacks all day, everyday. A guy I know that races amatuer picked up 2-3 seconds from the 209GPA to Conti tire swap.

The street tires were/are fine but for whatever reason, I felt more confident pushing the DOT tires. Some pretty fast guys I know and have ridden with say that the DOT tires will normally slide before they give up. Thats reason enough for me right there.

Feel wise, the Conti's feel so neutral that it almost felt like the bike doesn't want to turn coming from the 209GP's. The 209GP's would turn and almost telepathically fall in. The Conti's needed more input. But after about 50 miles, I was used to it and they did everything I felt they should just with a little more effort. It all comes down to profile of the tires I think.

I run anywhere from 28-32f/26-30r in my Conti's. Normal street pressure is ~30 f/r.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Late to the party but have used Pirelli DCs, DCIIIs, Dunlop 209GPs, 209GPAs, and now Conti Race Attack comp and Street.

Short version... I couldn't really outride any of them. I regularly got to the edge of the DCs and the DCIIIs but they were a 50 series tire. If someone was giving me tires, I would vote for 209GPA and then Race Attack is a very close second. For my money, I go with Race Attacks all day, everyday. A guy I know that races amatuer picked up 2-3 seconds from the 209GPA to Conti tire swap.

The street tires were/are fine but for whatever reason, I felt more confident pushing the DOT tires. Some pretty fast guys I know and have ridden with say that the DOT tires will normally slide before they give up. Thats reason enough for me right there.

Feel wise, the Conti's feel so neutral that it almost felt like the bike doesn't want to turn coming from the 209GP's. The 209GP's would turn and almost telepathically fall in. The Conti's needed more input. But after about 50 miles, I was used to it and they did everything I felt they should just with a little more effort. It all comes down to profile of the tires I think.

I run anywhere from 28-32f/26-30r in my Conti's. Normal street pressure is ~30 f/r.
Thanks for the info. Just a bit late, already ordered my Rosso Corsa's.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update - Rosso Corsa's are out of stock in the 190/55. So, I got a quote for the conti race attacks. $649 + fitting and balancing. Its a joke. No wonder people hardly try the conti's here. I can't understand why the conti's are so low priced in the US and so steeply priced in Aus.:dontknow:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got a set of Rosso Corsa's for the gen 1. Had to lift the rear hugger a bit to accommodate the 190/55 tire. For the gen 3, we went with race take offs - Dunlop D211 GP (UK) front and GPA (US) rear. Lets see how these go.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Finally got a set of Rosso Corsa's for the gen 1. Had to lift the rear hugger a bit to accommodate the 190/55 tire. For the gen 3, we went with race take offs - Dunlop D211 GP (UK) front and GPA (US) rear. Lets see how these go.
I used a small clamp and some washers to lift the rear hugger. Now it has got enough clearance to even fit a 195/60 rear tire. Was pretty happy with these tires on the track. When leaned over, the D211s are a bit more confidence inspiring as compared to the Rosso Corsa's, but this can only be noticed when you ride both these tires back to back. It is important to note that, these two tires are not targeted at the same segment - the D211 is race DOT tire while the Rosso Corsa is a street tire which can be used for track days too. To sum it up, the Rosso Corsa is to date the best street tire I have used at the track. Also at my skill level (intermediate group top pack) both these tires returned identical lap times, only difference was the level of confidence inspired when leaned over. Only a top rider will be able to exploit the extra potential of the D211s.

Edit - The duct tape seen in the pick was used to cover the gap between the swing arm and hugger to prevent dust and stone chips from hitting the rear shock.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts