Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys ride while you have your contact lenses on ?

I do... and I am sick of getting my eyes dry every time I ride.
I dont want to ride with my eyeglasses on, they're just too much hassle..

Any tips, tricks ?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Crack your visor open every once in a while at slower speeds. This generally makes my eyes start to water a bit. Feels good with my contacts.

What kind of contacts are you wearing? Brand & type?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Yep have the same problems..Lost them a couple times also while riding....I am getting an eye surgery just before Christmas..Sick of contact lenses..My cat love to eat them also if I leave them in their container without screwing the lids properly on it. LOL fucking cats!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yea Lucky I'm like -5.5, as in Mr. Magoo nearsighted, so I'm always riding with the contacts on. I feel ya b/c the contacts dry out and the earpieces of the glasses hurt, so pick your poison. I would imagine the diff airflow characteristics of your helmet could contribute to your dry eyes, but here's what works for me. I'm a longtime contact lens wearer, and I have noticed that my eyes are sensitive to the fit. On my last yearly exam, the doc prescribed some lenses and I always had dry scratchy eyes even when not on the bike. So I complained and he gave me a smaller size which helped.
Also, I have become super meticulous with the storage and care of my lenses when not in my head. I noticed that the current lenses are extremely soft and will take the shape of the ribs on the bottom of the storage case if they are stored upside down. Now I make sure that the convex side touches the bottom of the case. Also I quit buying the el cheapo saline and started getting the good stuff. Finally I am religious about taking out my contacts every night.
Wanna know why I'm such a freak about this? Imagine your contact drying out to the point that the right wind gust actually blows it out of your eye, WHILE YOU'RE ON THE BIKE, ON THREE SEPERATE OCCATIONS!!!! :eyecrazy: That actually happened to me, and it scared the poo outta me the first time. I was passing a car on a two-lane, and whammo, blind in one eye!
Sorry for being long winded, and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Yea Lucky I'm like -5.5, as in Mr. Magoo nearsighted, so I'm always riding with the contacts on. I feel ya b/c the contacts dry out and the earpieces of the glasses hurt, so pick your poison. I would imagine the diff airflow characteristics of your helmet could contribute to your dry eyes, but here's what works for me. I'm a longtime contact lens wearer, and I have noticed that my eyes are sensitive to the fit. On my last yearly exam, the doc prescribed some lenses and I always had dry scratchy eyes even when not on the bike. So I complained and he gave me a smaller size which helped.
Also, I have become super meticulous with the storage and care of my lenses when not in my head. I noticed that the current lenses are extremely soft and will take the shape of the ribs on the bottom of the storage case if they are stored upside down. Now I make sure that the convex side touches the bottom of the case. Also I quit buying the el cheapo saline and started getting the good stuff. Finally I am religious about taking out my contacts every night.
Wanna know why I'm such a freak about this? Imagine your contact drying out to the point that the right wind gust actually blows it out of your eye, WHILE YOU'RE ON THE BIKE, ON THREE SEPERATE OCCATIONS!!!! :eyecrazy: That actually happened to me, and it scared the poo outta me the first time. I was passing a car on a two-lane, and whammo, blind in one eye!
Sorry for being long winded, and I hope this helps.
Which good stuff are you using for your lenses?

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep have the same problems..Lost them a couple times also while riding....I am getting an eye surgery just before Christmas..Sick of contact lenses..My cat love to eat them also if I leave them in their container without screwing the lids properly on it. LOL fucking cats!
I thought about having Lasik before.. but it is not a permanent solution.
My cousin had his, and his blurriness came back.

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crack your visor open every once in a while at slower speeds. This generally makes my eyes start to water a bit. Feels good with my contacts.

What kind of contacts are you wearing? Brand & type?
I'm using Acuvue hydraclear..

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I bought my wife LASIK like six years ago now and they're perfect, I guess better than perfect, she had the same doctor that did tiger woods, and it wasn't real expensive. Her only issue is halos at night but she had a bad stigmatism. Well worth the Money!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Hey Lucky, I have always used the Accu vue 2's. Then I decided to switch to the newer HydraClears right when I started riding again a few years ago. Bad idea! They dry out much faster for me and arent as comfortable. So I went back to my Accu vue 2's and they hold great. Your type of helmet also has a part in this. I noticed my Icon does a much better job of keeping away the wind draft than my Arai. Which is why I wear it more often. I also noticed if your cheekpads are worn, more air gets through. Hoped this helped a lil.

·
Registered
147 Posts
bausch and lomb pure vision. dont have to take them out for a month and have never given me a problem while riding. use a kbc vr2 if that helps

·
welds like he has palsy
1,761 Posts
List Your Eye Mods!

Acuvue Oasys here, get a trial pair. They are awesome.
:+1:

My eye mods include: Acuvue Oasys. They're the best I've had. I work a 12 hour shift and I never have to put in moisture drops. I tried a special astigmatism contact, but it actually enhanced light, so I was blinded by on-coming headlights.

My eye doctor said to use the hydrogen peroxide cleanser every night. I probably use it twice a week (because it's expensive) and the other five nights I use Opti - Free Replenish. The only problem I have while riding is that my eyes sometimes (not always) get dry on take off. Then after about 30 seconds they become accustomed to the riding. When it comes to your eyes, the name brand stuff really works better and I do not trust the knock off crap.

I've only been riding for five years, but I've figured out in that time that my glasses are more of a problem than a solution. They block my peripheral vision. This was confirmed the other day when I bought the October Sport Rider magazine. They also spoke against wearing glasses to due the fact they hinder your peripheral vision.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
I have no problems with my glasses while riding. my helmets have pockets around the ear which aids in comfort..

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Lucky, I have always used the Accu vue 2's. Then I decided to switch to the newer HydraClears right when I started riding again a few years ago. Bad idea! They dry out much faster for me and arent as comfortable. So I went back to my Accu vue 2's and they hold great. Your type of helmet also has a part in this. I noticed my Icon does a much better job of keeping away the wind draft than my Arai. Which is why I wear it more often. I also noticed if your cheekpads are worn, more air gets through. Hoped this helped a lil.
I may go back to acuvue2 or try oasys ones.
The air that goes in my lid comes from the chin/neck area.. and then the wind goes up directly to my eyes..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, the Acuvue Oasys really do the trick 4 me. I also have as astigmatism & wear the extended wear lenses (30 days). When I'm on duty I really don't have time to wake up & put lenses in & these work really, really good. Hell I've even worn mine for dayum near 90 days & had no issues as long I dropped em in some solution for a few hrs.

As mentioned a few times, the solution you use to clean em has a lot to do with the performance of your lenses. You get what you pay for & when it comes to riding hard & fast you really don't wanna skimp on your vision just for a few bones. If mine feel a bit dry I just crack the lid & the wind waters em up without any problems

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Acuvue Oasys at walmart are like $30 a box I wear them and they are awesome stay moist for ever and you cant even tell you have them in... I also wear the Bausch&Lomb pure vision and love them also I never have any problems when riding at normal speeds..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts