Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about this bike for a couple of years now, and after reading the reviews of the 2014 model, I think I may be ready to lose my Gen 3 and move to one of these. I'm looking to do some longer days in the future, and with the upgrades on the new model... It's tempting. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'm interested too. Both me and my gen 1 just can't get along anymore. This new 1000 looks decent enuff and I could actually ride it 4-5 hrs with the wife. I wanna know just how comfy it is.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Once you go luggage, you never go back...... :)

Seriously though, it's a damn fine bike for commuting. I have a C14 & the ZX10, and I can say it's almost the perfect blend of streetbikes. The C14 is a big heavy bitch, but it actually commutes well. I can only imagine that the Z1000 would be a little less friendly on long trips, but more enjoyable in town or as a commuter.

If you can swing it, don't lose the Gen 3 right away. Having 2 in the stable might seem like wretched excess, but it's actually REALLY nice to have 2 separately kitted bikes. :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once you go luggage, you never go back...... :)

Seriously though, it's a damn fine bike for commuting. I have a C14 & the ZX10, and I can say it's almost the perfect blend of streetbikes. The C14 is a big heavy bitch, but it actually commutes well. I can only imagine that the Z1000 would be a little less friendly on long trips, but more enjoyable in town or as a commuter.

If you can swing it, don't lose the Gen 3 right away. Having 2 in the stable might seem like wretched excess, but it's actually REALLY nice to have 2 separately kitted bikes. :)
I'm trying to figure a way to make that happen. I know i'm gonna miss that Gen. 3 badly if I let it go!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I wonder even after re-gearing it if it will have the balls to pull the front wheel up coming out of turn like my gen 1 ? I want comfort+knee draggin+wheelies dammit!! Lol rant over

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They say it'll power wheelie easily. Basically as fast as a ZX10 till the high RPM's. Lets face it, I don't ride the 10 anywhere near it's potential anyway so... I'm just hoping it doesn't feel heavy.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
That's another good point! If it's a pig and have to muscle it to turn in's to corners I'd pass on it. Wish I had a kawi dealer close to me, someone needs to con a salesman into a test ride and type the truth.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well.....I did it! A shiny new green 2014 is on it's way to me! I'm going to take your advice and keep my Gen 3 for now. I'll pick it up in a couple of weeks. I wish I didn't have to sit and stare at it over the winter, but oh well. I'll post some pics when I get it home.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Well.....I did it! A shiny new green 2014 is on it's way to me! I'm going to take your advice and keep my Gen 3 for now. I'll pick it up in a couple of weeks. I wish I didn't have to sit and stare at it over the winter, but oh well. I'll post some pics when I get it home.

That's what I'm talkin bout! Give it a ride before you put it away and tell us what you think. Congrats!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I had a 2013 ninja 1000 for a instructor bike this season. One of the best street bikes I have ever ridden to be honest. Lots of power thru the rev range and comfortable as hell too. Pegs are low for track days but I was able to hustle it around well.

I really enjoyed it and would buy one in a heartbeat.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,022 Posts
Congrat!! I like it and I bet its going to be a great bike for you!! Pics and a review when you get it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Could someone explain why someone would ditch a super sport to purchase zx1000 specifically for comfort? Why not just a add a nice cushy seat, bar risers, and rear sets to your current model? That way you have the zip along with the comfort and your wallet stays fat. Seriously asking... I'm considering these mods this winter on the gen 4 so that I can look forward to longer rides next year.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
70 Posts
Modding a 10 won't net you the comfort of the 1000. Its not just a bar height issue. Its the distance from the seat to the bars that adds comfort. It has a LOT better ergos for touring. And it is a pretty fast bike when you're comparing it to the other 90% of motorcycles that aren't super sports.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrat!! I like it and I bet its going to be a great bike for you!! Pics and a review when you get it.
Thank-you, I think I'm gonna like it. I can send pics but we have a bunch of snow on the ground here so the review is gonna have to wait:sad:

Could someone explain why someone would ditch a super sport to purchase zx1000 specifically for comfort? Why not just a add a nice cushy seat, bar risers, and rear sets to your current model? That way you have the zip along with the comfort and your wallet stays fat. Seriously asking... I'm considering these mods this winter on the gen 4 so that I can look forward to longer rides next year.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I looked at doing the handlebars and rear sets as some others have done, and if this Ninja didn't exist, that's exactly what I would have done. Having said that, the Ninja 1000 should do everything that I'm looking for better than a modded ZX10, and still be fast enough to scratch that supersport itch. Besides, I'm keeping the Gen.3 till I decide if this bike is gonna do it for me. (actually, I'm keeping the Gen.3 because I LOVE it!):badteeth:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Congratulations I think you will be happy with the ninja. Got to test ride one of the first gen and the weight dissappears and the thing is a wheelie monster its so torquie. And I say until8000 rpm its faster than the 10.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Modding a 10 won't net you the comfort of the 1000. Its not just a bar height issue. Its the distance from the seat to the bars that adds comfort. It has a LOT better ergos for touring. And it is a pretty fast bike when you're comparing it to the other 90% of motorcycles that aren't super sports.
The zx10, especially the gen 4 is a very focused track bike. The power delivery is mild in the mid for ease of corner exits and huge up top to get it to the next corner. The chassis and suspension is made to be loaded mid corner to work proper. Essentially it is the bike everyone thinks they need to go for a coffee run or the occasional commute with a canyon carve or 2 between.

The z1000 or ninja 1000 is a street bike. Is can do the occasional track day but is focused to the street with appropriate trandmission gearing, power delivery and suspension to accommodate. It is not as fast on a race track due to weight and ground clearance, but if your not worried about lap times... Who cares?

Long story short, it's the bike that most people should have.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Awesome!! Nice looking bike for sure. I like the brushed look on the exhaust as well. This must be a 2014? I didn't know dealers had them in stock yet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts