Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we do a compression test on a zx-10r, did the motor as to be cold, or hot ????

Valve clearance checking ???? Motor hot or cold ????

Thanks.

I still wait for my shop manual but in cas somebody know.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
compression and leak down tests are only to see what the base line is and to see which is the weak area.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Compression

I know.

So in my old time the compression test where taken motor hot, 10 cranks, and the difference between the cylinder was check that way. But the thing are the moment you get to the spark plugs on zx-10r the motor is not exactly what we call hot, that's the purpose of my question.

·
Registered
445 Posts
engine cold or hot does not matter as long as you are just trying to find a leaky cylinder.....

A proper compression test requires that you put a few squirts of engine oil into the cylinder to seal the piston rings - that means that it won't really make (MUCH) difference if the engine is cold because the oil will help to seal the rings to the cyl-walls to create compression.....

Also, you will suffer great pains trying to pull plugs out of a HOT engine. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
yeah, pretty much. If 3 cylinders are at lets say 110psi and one cylinder is 60psig, then something is amiss. I never did the oil thing though.

·
Registered
474 Posts
compression test

Well the correct way is with the engine cold,full throttle, crank till you get max reading.Don't use oil.Only use oil if you get a cylinder that reads low, give it a couple of shots of oil .If the pressure comes up your getting ring blow by,if it doesn't you have a valve not sealing

Reactions: Dragone

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found the problem

Well compression test tell me that was something wrong.

Found it a bent valve. So know I got to replace it.

Somebody got the experience of pulling out the head of this zx-10r 2004-05 ???

Good place to buy valves and probably seat and seal, and head gasket ?????

What was the hing with the thin head gasket ?????

Did the bike could work with pumping gas after that ???

Any advice welcome, maybe on the tech section.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts