Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am looking at buying a 2013 ZX10R with 30000km on it. What are some common problems with this generation/year that I should be looking out for? Any common engine/trans issues?

Thanks,

Bill

·
The Pace
7,307 Posts
If you ride a lot, valves are weak on this bike. I have both '11 and '13, 50,000 and 110,000 miles respectively; The '11 failed with suspect valves but for certain as the clutch was smoking red hot. Indeed the foam covering the clutch was in flames. I suspect valves as same sound occurred with the '13 valve failures. Experience. No extended warranty, so bought new '13 kinda thinking the '11 was a fluke, but bought all extended warranties from Kawa. Valves failed at about 70k and at 90k all covered by Kawa but took dealer both time months to complete rebuild, With first rebuild bike was returned with oil leak and that dealer closed. When dealer reopened I had over 90k miles on the leaky bike and valve failed right then. Bike returned all good, about 8 months later.

Next, this bike, if you ride rough asphalt, will allow front tire to throw rocks into radiator. Holed the '11 and the '13, dealer took care of '13 radiator, for the '11 I just used water weld stuff and that worked.

Everything else stands up; but I suggest that you buy new and go extended warranty. First super bike I've owned that needs extra coverage. I've owned fireblades and one R1 and one FZ1, and several older hondas and Yukes and never had a warranty problem other than typical recalls. I will probably buy a new 10r soon, and extended warranty, ofc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you ride a lot, valves are weak on this bike. I have both '11 and '13, 50,000 and 110,000 miles respectively; The '11 failed with suspect valves but for certain as the clutch was smoking red hot. Indeed the foam covering the clutch was in flames. I suspect valves as same sound occurred with the '13 valve failures. Experience. No extended warranty, so bought new '13 kinda thinking the '11 was a fluke, but bought all extended warranties from Kawa. Valves failed at about 70k and at 90k all covered by Kawa but took dealer both time months to complete rebuild, With first rebuild bike was returned with oil leak and that dealer closed. When dealer reopened I had over 90k miles on the leaky bike and valve failed right then. Bike returned all good, about 8 months later.

Next, this bike, if you ride rough asphalt, will allow front tire to throw rocks into radiator. Holed the '11 and the '13, dealer took care of '13 radiator, for the '11 I just used water weld stuff and that worked.

Everything else stands up; but I suggest that you buy new and go extended warranty. First super bike I've owned that needs extra coverage. I've owned fireblades and one R1 and one FZ1, and several older hondas and Yukes and never had a warranty problem other than typical recalls. I will probably buy a new 10r soon, and extended warranty, ofc.
Did the valves themselves fail? like the stems broke or something?

·
Registered
2014 ZX10R
141 Posts
Just search 'scout oil change' and that will be all you need to know...
Aside from transmission gear failures I haven't heard of a common issue. I believe Kawi first put titanium valves on the Gen 5, so worth it to do a valve check if it hasn't been done.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Nope, our bikes don't have any common problems like that. All you can do is maintain the service schedule to keep it running as well as possible. You're probably thinking there may be a common engineering fault you can avoid like Porsche's IMS bearing issue, or Mercedes with their 6.2 liter V8 head studs etc. In our case, there's nothing you really want to throw money at until it becomes at problem and it would've been unavoidable anyway.

The closest thing I can possibly think of is the fairly inert automatic cam chain tensioner. It's not as automatic as one would hope so if you hear a ticking noise, it could be solved by carefully removing the CCT to see how many teeth are exposed and manually extending it another notch and re-installing.

On the other hand, a big fault with our bikes is the factory ECU restrictions on North American spec models. If your bike hasn't been ECU flashed yet, I'd consider that a must do. The OEM rear shock is also notoriously bad and lacks usable damping range. That's a key upgrade if you want to ride your bike really hard.

Reactions: Lilbilly

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, our bikes don't have any common problems like that. All you can do is maintain the service schedule to keep it running as well as possible. You're probably thinking there may be a common engineering fault you can avoid like Porsche's IMS bearing issue, or Mercedes with their 6.2 liter V8 head studs etc. In our case, there's nothing you really want to throw money at until it becomes at problem and it would've been unavoidable anyway.

The closest thing I can possibly think of is the fairly inert automatic cam chain tensioner. It's not as automatic as one would hope so if you hear a ticking noise, it could be solved by carefully removing the CCT to see how many teeth are exposed and manually extending it another notch and re-installing.

On the other hand, a big fault with our bikes is the factory ECU restrictions on North American spec models. If your bike hasn't been ECU flashed yet, I'd consider that a must do. The OEM rear shock is also notoriously bad and lacks usable damping range. That's a key upgrade if you want to ride your bike really hard.
I just came from a 2008 CBR1000RR, had to get rid of it because it was burning so much oil. Burned around .6 quart after only 250km. Im glad to hear these bikes dont have any of these issues.

·
The Pace
7,307 Posts
Valve failure. Idk origination of failure as dealer handled everything. Valves were always dealer checked before 10k miles. Nothing to do with oil changes. Gen 4 2011 fork seals were trash, same with paint on tank. You would be interested to know that Kawa admin either monitors this site or the Boss sends updates; When I pointed out the above '11 probs (before valve failure) THEN bought the '13 and put on 70k miles of good riding, noticed right away the seals were holding excellent and paint doing far better. Seals still solid at 110,000 miles of junk conditions.

But valves are weak on this bike if you ride a lot and ride hard when safe. the '11 was first 10r. Had fireblades, R1's and a couple hurricanes, 750f's and 400 four plus a bunch of dirt bikes and other street stuff. Never had valve problem until this bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts