Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need comments on my body position.

I'm not a newbie, but have been away from the track for a while. This was my first time with the ZX-10R (bought a month ago).

I'm having trouble turning right (my elbows are too close, my knees are not extended), I think I look ok on the left, though still scared to lean it further... need more track time.

What do you guys think? How can I improve?

ImageUploadedByMO Free1409130001.637746.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1409130175.353830.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1409130202.727255.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1409130227.357676.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1409130257.609169.jpg

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FYI, there aren't any restrictions at the track regarding lights, mirrors, and safety wires.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,810 Posts
Yeah, I agree. Not that I'm a pro or anything, but it looks like your elbows are dropped too much. Get your elbows up and out. Get some confidence in the bike and tires and the lean angles will come. Take it slow, don't rush it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
back to car scene
4,297 Posts
hey friend...im having the same trouble you are, im about 85-90% confident with my left turns, and struggling like you are with right turns

one thing that helped me most was about moving my hand out on the throttle tube to where your right hand ring finger is over the bar end. so in essence your index and middle finger are your throttle control and one finger for braking. that helped me for the last session. so lesson of the day, ask the coach after the first session instead of waiting all day to ask
then you have several sessions to improve lol

i need imrovement as well so this is only what i have to add that may help, im not better/faster by any means. just trying to help

when is your next track day?

kinda like so

Attachments

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
from those pictures, i'd just say bring your head more forward towards the mirror. foot pivot looks good, outer arm resting on tank, spine aligned with bike, your butt is a little too far off in one pic, then not another so, being crossed up will close off your hips so you cant pivot your knee out as far so...meh, theres my 2 second assessment. i'd look closer but i'm about to clock out and go home

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey friend...im having the same trouble you are, im about 85-90% confident with my left turns, and struggling like you are with right turns

one thing that helped me most was about moving my hand out on the throttle tube to where your right hand ring finger is over the bar end. so in essence your index and middle finger are your throttle control and one finger for braking. that helped me for the last session. so lesson of the day, ask the coach after the first session instead of waiting all day to ask
then you have several sessions to improve lol

i need imrovement as well so this is only what i have to add that may help, im not better/faster by any means. just trying to help

when is your next track day?

kinda like so

I see what you mean..I'm just slightly scared that if I placed my hand all the way to the end like that, it may slip off!!!

I've looked at your post too, I see we have the same problem. Hahaha

Next track day should be in another two months, it's the rainy season now in Thailand so there's no point trying.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
from those pictures, i'd just say bring your head more forward towards the mirror. foot pivot looks good, outer arm resting on tank, spine aligned with bike, your butt is a little too far off in one pic, then not another so, being crossed up will close off your hips so you cant pivot your knee out as far so...meh, theres my 2 second assessment. i'd look closer but i'm about to clock out and go home

That's part of my problem, I'm not consistent. I'm in slightly different body positions in each lap. Also my lines are not consistent, probably the reason why my body position changes.

Thanks for the advise, I definitely need more track time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Try dropping your shoulders. Think of it as you are pointing your body in the direction you want to go.

Also loosen up a bit. If you have to slow down, do so.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
That's part of my problem, I'm not consistent. I'm in slightly different body positions in each lap. Also my lines are not consistent, probably the reason why my body position changes.

Thanks for the advise, I definitely need more track time.
lines come with speed. work on your brake markers/apex/exit. your body will adjust for the speeds you're going and your lines come with speed

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
speaking of personal experience, Naked gave me great advice and I took it to heart and managed to get into B group on my 3rd trackday with zero prior experience.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Good grief your tall! You make the zx-10 look like a 600! I'm so short it takes me half an hour to hike from hanging off the left to hanging off the right! I can see why you are having trouble with elbows and knees clashing!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Position is important but not so important.. I mean you will get more confortable with pratice .. thats me and my positiion is not far from you... and im fast (without bragging)

The key is practice again and again..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Just to update this post. I've been to three more trackdays since the first post.

Any comments on the body position? I think my elbow is tucked in too much. I only have a single shot for this trackday.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1422268804.095059.jpg

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
There's some great advice on this thread, but as mentioned you are tall I reckon more room on the bike would help make those times more consistent, a longer seat unit, lower sets different bars & a larger screen your size puts you outside of it too much, once the bike fits the rest will be easier to put into practice.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,037 Posts
No expert here but looking at your last pic and assuming you are close to the apex I would say to try and move your upper body off the bike more. The idea is to try and get the body weight and mass as low as possible and get the bike to the minimum lean angle. The more upright the bike is the more speed you can carry and the sooner you can get back on the throttle. So in the pic your left arm would be more straight and across the tank and your right hand would be about in line with the center of your chest with the right elbow bent. Now take that with a grain of salt because guys like Larry Pegram are crazy fast and ride nearly upright. Theres tons of speed to be had without imitating Marquez.

·
Registered
578 Posts
drop your elbow, and relax your shoulder to allow your head and upper body to extend out away from the bike. over exaggerate the position at first, and it will become easier, then muscle memory takes over, and your will have your "riding style".

there is no one "correct" riding position, there are just different styles. as stated above... some people cant get into a marquez or disalvo position, some ride crossed up and are still VERY FAST (Larry Pegram for example). some people have limitations due to size or previous injuries (I have plates and screws in my wrist so, my body position is limited to how far my right wrist will bend for either side turns).

try to grab the throttle like a screwdriver in right turns, it will help with the elbow down position.

keep up the good work, keep us posted on your progress. Ski

·
Registered
295 Posts
Also no expert but I like to imagine two things when I'm working on upper body position- which is still need a lot of work on:

1) Outside nippple to the inside of the tank (nakedinseattle's tip)
2) Aim chin to my inside wrist - this helps me get my head down and to be in line with my lower body.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts