Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 72 Chevelle SS car that is going in for paint in a couple of weeks. My question is what color? In the chevelle world there are a lot of fake " SS " cars but not mine. The original color is dark green with white stripes but red would be cool. I think I want to keep it original because the #'s match. Should I care about that because the block is not a matching # but the tranny is. Do you think this will hurt the value of the car with it not being original? IDK

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
blue with white stripes, i know its common, but its about as sexy as it gets. a real dark blue too, with some fine pin striping bordering the white stripes. black interior (factory buckets) with white faced gauges that glow blue at night. She have a man trans? if not make it that way.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Just go with the dark green. It looks good and classy and you're not risking hurting the value any.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Numbers matching is over rated unless you have true collector quality. The block I assume is a 396? It's the most popular numbers matching motor people look for. (A 454 would be a collector's dream)

The transmission never gets too much attention, I wouldn't sweat it. But I would make sure the rear end matches up, I assume it should be a 12 bolt posi on the SS?

Old school puke green and white stripes is in my opinion exceedingly bad ass. Everybody has a red with black stripes.

I had a silver malibu, but would have gone with green and white on an SS in a heart beat. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
numbers matching is over rated unless you have true collector quality. The block i assume is a 396? It's the most popular numbers matching motor people look for. (a 454 would be a collector's dream)

the transmission never gets too much attention, i wouldn't sweat it. But i would make sure the rear end matches up, i assume it should be a 12 bolt posi on the ss?

Old school puke green and white stripes is in my opinion exceedingly bad ass. Everybody has a red with black stripes.

I had a silver malibu, but would have gone with green and white on an ss in a heart beat. My 2 cents.
:+1: Green would be bad ass.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a real 350 SS car and the problem with that is a lot of people did not know they made a small block SS ( J code). 71-72 you could get a SS with a small block and 12 bolt with a M20 4 speed. Thats what mine is. The thing that sucks about the 71-72 cars is that really the SS was more of a paint kit with a 12 bolt rearend, pod dash and some SS emblems all over the place. I have A51 (factory buckets) that are dark green as well for the car in my bedroom.

I was thinking about flat black with red stripes but IDK. I like yellow as well but really leaning towards the green.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
flat black with black gloss stripes.. and some nice wheels or maybe just a silver.. depends how crazy u want to get

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well coming from somebody who builds these things and have a few lay'n around i would not waste your time with returning it to stock unless you are a hardcore collector like cahuba said!...But if you were one of my customers and were hard pressed for a decision i think the car would look amazing in a metallic pea green, not the dark factory color but a lighter, brighter pea green with a lil extra metallic and white deck strips! IMO i think that would look really sexy on that car!

·
Registered
778 Posts
and don't forget about an inch thick clear so that the paint looks like it goes on forever!

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
The green with white capatlizes that model and year, stick with it's nature!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Go GREEN! I kept my 1969 Plymouth road runner the factory colors even though some of my friends and family wanted it to be a fancy color like red. When it was done and I took it to its first show I was literally pushing people with the front bumper to try and get the car to the parking spot. People fell all over themselves when they saw it. I think the original colors pulled them back to the day when these cars were new. That being said. Go with your gut and build the car to your liking not for money or future worth. You are the one taking the thing home and you have to live with it. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts