Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any parents here been through this with thier little one?

From what I've read it may last up to 4 months. :eyecrazy: :eyecrazy:

For anyone that doesnt know what it's all about, just imagine a crying
no a SCREAMING baby for about 3/4 hrs straight!

I foresee a vasectomy in my future.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Dude, that's rough. . .really. My boy didn't have it, but I've been around little ones that did. My heart goes out to you on this one. . .here's hoping you can keep you sanity through it all.

Most folks I know that delt with it found some sort of "trick" that helped. One dude's baby would chill out if it was in one of those "rockers". You know, the kind you wind up? Well, he was dead broke, and couldn't afford a battery operated one. So to get some sleep, him and his wife had to sleep in shifts, each taking turns getting up and winding the thing up every few minutes. Harsh. . .

Best of luck pal. . .rep awarded.

·
Registered
697 Posts
My son was colicky. It was hell. I really didnt like him for a good 3-4 months. The doctors cant do anything about it. You can only try to make yourselves feel better. Try using the hair dryer, vacuum cleaner, strap the baby seat on top of the dryer... anything that makes white noise.

My kid was colicky and had reflux so they tried this formula called nutramigen. It's made by Enfamil and costs about $25 a can. A can would last half a week or so and I dont qualify for WIC so he was EXPENSIVE! Come to find out, the Nutramigen helped, but wasnt necessary.

Good luck. Try to give your wife a break if she stays home all day. It's hell, plain and simple. My son started at about 2.5 months and he wasnt a happy baby until about 8 months. The doctor actually told us that if we ever felt like hurting him, just to lay the baby down and walk away. She said everyone has a breaking point and a colicky baby can help find your breaking point VERY fast.

Stay sane...

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Earplugs?
WebMD?
Google?
I hear Hawaii is nice this time of year.
I feel for you okie, but seriously have you searched out answers on the 'net?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
05Zixxer said:
. . .Good luck. Try to give your wife a break if she stays home all day. It's hell, plain and simple. My son started at about 2.5 months and he wasnt a happy baby until about 8 months. The doctor actually told us that if we ever felt like hurting him, just to lay the baby down and walk away. She said everyone has a breaking point and a colicky baby can help find your breaking point VERY fast.

Stay sane...
Well put, and all around great post there pal :ayyy:

By the way, I'm only saying this here, instead of in your rep box because it said I had to spread it around more :badteeth:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the support, The vacum cleaner thing works well, told my wife we're going to end up burning the motor. :lol:

Running water seems to calm her as well, we're going to talk with the dr
about a formula chg.

A colicky baby will definitely test your patience. Comes with parenthood
I guess.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
If the vacuum works, and I know this sounds geeky, but record that crap onto your computer, loop it, and play it back with the baby in there and the speakers up a bit. Not that it'll help anything other than the electric bill and the life of the motor though.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gpz1100 said:
but seriously have you searched out answers on the 'net?
yea, wifes got books & more books on it, friends/co workers thats been through it.
All say the same "just live with it, nothing you can really do,
unknown causes etc.."

I just pray for more patience, my wife on the other hand has tons
of it. Must be a mother thing? :dontknow:

Thanks Andy

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
I think my little sister had colic, my mom used to lay her in the sunshine to cure her. Don't know if thats the cure for colic, maybe something else. I don't remember her having rickets. :lol:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Kickaho said:
If the vacuum works, and I know this sounds geeky, but record that crap onto your computer, loop it, and play it back with the baby in there and the speakers up a bit. Not that it'll help anything other than the electric bill and the life of the motor though.

I found a white noise generator online and made some that I played on a cd player in his room. The cd player (cheap) didnt last a year.:lol:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Oh, Look at all of the kids channels on cable/satellite and find a show that helps. The Backyardigans helped us. He loves the singing and colors. It's a pretty good show and if he's pissy, we can start up the show (we have them all saved on the DVR) and he'll shut up.

·
Banned
74 Posts
Babies need to be held. Babies cry because they need somethin, food, changing or attention. Pick, him/her up and walk around with him/her. They like the closeness and motion.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Andy said:
I think my little sister had colic, my mom used to lay her in the sunshine to cure her. Don't know if thats the cure for colic, maybe something else. I don't remember her having rickets. :lol:
That's jaundice........different thing all together. I really can't give you anything that hasn't been said already. Just be patient, my daughter wasn't colicky but she definitely had some fits that lasted hours. As horrible as this will sound it makes you understand how people can just get fed up and shake the shit out of their kids.

I never got to the point where I wanted to hurt my daughter, I understood it is just something that some babies do. My boy started taking his kid for walks or driving him around in the car for a minute to calm him down. Something about being jostled around calmed him down. :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
zuluxray10romeo said:
Babies need to be held. Babies cry because they need somethin, food, changing or attention. Pick, him/her up and walk around with him/her. They like the closeness and motion.
Colic has nothing to do with any need. Basically upset stomach and they have no other way to vent than to scream until it doesn't hurt anymore.

More info here:

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/Mosby_factsheets/infant_colic.html

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
zuluxray10romeo said:
You might want to go back and actually read that fact sheet. Some babies need to be held.
Alright smart ass, yes some babies need to be held; it can help soothe them. Still doesn't change the fact that colicky babies aren't crying because they need something. Either way, s'all good. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Modified one of those 'johnny jumpers' to hold the carrying cradle and bounced my daughter for 6 months.:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts