Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 08' ZX-10 for almost 2 1/2 years now. I bought the bike brand new from a dealer when they were selling extremely cheap. Ever since I have owned it I noticed how well this bike cools (even though my friend has the same bike and his runs hot). In the summer running the highway the coolant temps will usually stay in the 190's. Sitting in traffic on a summer day the fan is able to keep the temps from getting too high.

The issue I have always had is the bike runs way too cool in cool/cold weather. Once the fall comes and it gets chilly out the bike coolant temps will drop all the way to around 140. My questions are as as follows...

-Does this happen to anyone else?
-What temp thermostats do these bikes come with?
-Is there another thermostat that I can get for the colder months to keep the bike in the correct operating temp range?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yes mine when it's cold it goes to 60° C, sometimes even 59° C if I'm cruising at 140-160 km/h.

It's just fine 60 is not too cold,I wish I could keep it that cold during the summer

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Yeah it's common. I've rode when it's so cold that once I was on the highway for a bit my temp wouldn't even read. You can always try this is you ride a lot when it's cold. Is put a small cloth cover over your radiator somehow. That'll keep it Warner.. Although I have never tried it

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yeah it's common. I've rode when it's so cold that once I was on the highway for a bit my temp wouldn't even read. You can always try this is you ride a lot when it's cold. Is put a small cloth cover over your radiator somehow. That'll keep it Warner.. Although I have never tried it

Ya or put a piece of like poster board across the bottom of the rad to block off some of the air flow. That will deff get the temp up some

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes mine when it's cold it goes to 60° C, sometimes even 59° C if I'm cruising at 140-160 km/h.

It's just fine 60 is not too cold,I wish I could keep it that cold during the summer
Yup, mine will drop below 140F as well if it is very cold.. 138F or so. How isn't this too cold? This can't be warm enough for the pistons to expand properly and the oil to work properly.

I didn't even think of doing that. That could definitely work.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,396 Posts
As stated, it's normal. It won't hurt the motor running it that low. I'd certainly rather run the engine temps lower than too high. But if you're overly concerned, I'd put some strips of duct tape across the front of the radiator to block the air flow and raise the temps somewhat. Start by covering half of the available area and see what you get. If you ever look at the front grill of a tractor trailer rig up north in the winter time, most have a covering on them for this purpose. Some are metal and some are cloth with a flap they can open up to vary the temps.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
As stated, it's normal. It won't hurt the motor running it that low. I'd certainly rather run the engine temps lower than too high. But if you're overly concerned, I'd put some strips of duct tape across the front of the radiator to block the air flow and raise the temps somewhat. Start by covering half of the available area and see what you get. If you ever look at the front grill of a tractor trailer rig up north in the winter time, most have a covering on them for this purpose. Some are metal and some are cloth with a flap they can open up to vary the temps.

Lol that's exactly what I was thinkin!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
140 cannot be a safe temperature for the engine though.
You aren't quite understanding how the cooling system works. The temp of 140 isn't the actual engine temperature. When the coolant gets that cold, the thermostat closes and blocks off the flow so the coolant around the cylinders stagnates and, in turn, gets hotter than the coolant in the radiator. The 140 coolant temp is coming from the sensor on the radiator. Trust me, the engineers in Japan have thought this one thru and know what they are doing. 140 degrees isn't going to be "unsafe" for the engine any more than 200+ degrees is when the fan kicks in.

Notice how you can also fire the bike up in the morning and take off before the engine gets all the way up to full temp too and the engine doesn't blow up? That's because the engine is designed to operate in a wide range of temperatures. Sure, it's not wise to go WFO right from the start up but, you can certainly ride the bike without killing it. You could tape off part of your radiator if you are really that concerned about it but, it's not going to be doing much in the long run. You are just over thinking this one.

The availability of different thermostats for these bikes is non-existent anyway. Head down to the bike shop to check and you will see. They simply don't have anything but the original units available. If riding in cooler temps was of any concern, they'd sell the part to address the problem if it existed.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,396 Posts
You aren't quite understanding how the cooling system works. The temp of 140 isn't the actual engine temperature. When the coolant gets that cold, the thermostat closes and blocks off the flow so the coolant around the cylinders stagnates and, in turn, gets hotter than the coolant in the radiator. The 140 coolant temp is coming from the sensor on the radiator. Trust me, the engineers in Japan have thought this one thru and know what they are doing. 140 degrees isn't going to be "unsafe" for the engine any more than 200+ degrees is when the fan kicks in.

Notice how you can also fire the bike up in the morning and take off before the engine gets all the way up to full temp too and the engine doesn't blow up? That's because the engine is designed to operate in a wide range of temperatures. Sure, it's not wise to go WFO right from the start up but, you can certainly ride the bike without killing it. You could tape off part of your radiator if you are really that concerned about it but, it's not going to be doing much in the long run. You are just over thinking this one.

The availability of different thermostats for these bikes is non-existent anyway. Head down to the bike shop to check and you will see. They simply don't have anything but the original units available. If riding in cooler temps was of any concern, they'd sell the part to address the problem if it existed.
That's a very good explanation and absolutely correct. Especially concerning the WFO on a cold motor. I cringe everytime I see some jack-wad get on his bike, fire it up, and then tear ass away at near redline. One of the worst things to do to a motor is rev it up high before it's up to operating temp. It's cool (pun intended) to ride it right after starting it, but you keep the revs low and stay out of the throttle hard until it gets up to running temp (even if that's only 140 deg cooling temp).

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
As someone who lives in the cold I will add a little to this thread. Most of the people who cover part of their radiator during winter do not do it for engine protection. The reason this is done is because when the coolant is that cold, so is the heat in the car. It really is just that simple. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The temperature sensor is NOT on the radiator, it is in the head. Why would they want the ECU to read anywhere but at the motor? I also know that the cyl temp <> coolant temp, but coolant temp is relative to engine/oil temp. If coolant temp is 140F then the oil temp isn't much higher. Oil is meant to be used at a higher temperature than that. These are race bikes and I'm just not sure that they put as much work into having the bike run properly in cold conditions as they did warm/hot conditions.

·
Registered
154 Posts
stop worrying about it... its normal.. just rode mine tonight in about 45 degrees and it was running about 145-155 its normal :thumbsup: the oil temp is much higher its in the motor with moving metal going 10k+ rpms how can you argue that. just ride it

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,042 Posts
The temperature sensor is NOT on the radiator, it is in the head. Why would they want the ECU to read anywhere but at the motor? I also know that the cyl temp <> coolant temp, but coolant temp is relative to engine/oil temp. If coolant temp is 140F then the oil temp isn't much higher. Oil is meant to be used at a higher temperature than that. These are race bikes and I'm just not sure that they put as much work into having the bike run properly in cold conditions as they did warm/hot conditions.
Erm, actually if you look there are normally two temp sensors, one in the rad and one in the head.

The one in the rad NORMALLY (not verified on my Kawi) is used to trigger the cooling fan only, then one in the head is for your temp gauge. You care about head temp, if your thermostat was jam closed you wouldn't know if your bike was overheating otherwise, as the rad would stay cold.

Here is Cali, (positively balmy at 50 degrees this the morning) my bike will run around 145 (ish). it's fine... (2012 gen4)

Additionally your coolant never "stagnates" it is still circulated, to the best of my knowledge, only the thermostat bypasses the rad so it's not actively cooled any more when the engine isn't up to running temp.

Rob

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I cringe everytime I see some jack-wad get on his bike, fire it up, and then tear ass away at near redline.
My buddy does that, and it drives me crazy because he thinks it's cool...

It's just as bad as bouncing off the rev limiter with no load on the motor...

·
Registered
154 Posts
My buddy does that, and it drives me crazy because he thinks it's cool...

It's just as bad as bouncing off the rev limiter with no load on the motor...

:+2: 2 of my buddies are famous for this. I feel the pain of the motors, pisses me off. I tell them every time not to do it and they insist its ok wont last much longer

·
Registered
755 Posts
My 09 runs pretty cool aswell.. Im pretty sure ive read somewhere that they share the same radiator/water pump as the zx14, hmm..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts