Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any recomendation on a good cold weather hood? I am looking for one that is thin up top but heavily insulated on the neck. I need something to keep me warm when riding down to the upper 20s this winter.
I have been using my nomex hood from work but its only good till the 40s. Any personal experiences with a good bacallava.

·
Registered
330 Posts
maybe its just me but why the hell are you riding when its that cold?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Well I don't ride that cold. I usually draw the line at the mid 30's. But for me the Schampa Warmskin Balaclava is ths shizit! Sometimes I even wear it if it's below 65 degrees, just to keep the chill off the ole neck at interstate speeds. Word to the wise: I wish I had got one that was a bit longer in the neck, and/or tucked in better/farther under the jacket. If you have a low necked jacket you may have issues with it wanting to come un-tucked while riding sport bikes (head back stance).

D

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Older Guy said:
I bought a Gerbings long sleeve heated vest and it has heating wires in the neck...

I bought the widder vest last year but didnt get the one with the heated neck. I am kicking myself for it now.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
low10 said:

I cant go several months without riding....hell I cant go several days so I ride year round.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I ride in = or < 45 degrees and have tried a lot different motorcycle “neck covering” products, but have always reverted back to using my running hood (think neck warmer is the official title). You can buy them at any runner type sporting goods store or online.

The product looks like the neck piece to a turtleneck jersey, but it is made of stretchable material and can be pulled over the back of your head, ears and the bottom of your chin, while covering your neck.

I find the sport material works well, because it breaths and helps keep the warmth from passing 100% into the helmet and fogging your face shield.

HTH
Phil

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
low10 said:
Well, I don't, but alot of it has to do I think with how far you have to ride to get to work, etc. It's one thing riding 20 minutes in 20 degree weather, but it's another commuting 1 hour on the interstate!

D

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
S.ga.rider said:
Anyone got any recomendation on a good cold weather hood? I am looking for one that is thin up top but heavily insulated on the neck. I need something to keep me warm when riding down to the upper 20s this winter.
I have been using my nomex hood from work but its only good till the 40s. Any personal experiences with a good bacallava.

It gets down to the 20's in southern Ga? :dontknow: I never knew that?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ZiG 9th said:
It gets down to the 20's in southern Ga? :dontknow: I never knew that?

A few days out of the year.:mrgreen:

I remember about 10 years ago going to a structure fire when it was 17 degrees. We didnt know how to act with ice hanging off the ladders,nozzles and ourselves.:crackup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts