Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys finally got my bike back up and running. First ride and the bike is running great. Halfway through fi light starts flashing so i pull the codes and its 62. Bike still ran great the whole time. Get home and take off the airbox and usually i can see the secondaries move when the key cycles. Now they are not doing it. So i reach in and they seem like there is resistance to move them. Like they are not moving very freely. I can move them however. But still not cycling when key is turned on. Any idea on whats going on? Possible shaft damage or something?? Like i said bike still runs great but i didnt push it very hard just cruising. Is it possible to remove the shaft and blades if they are the issue or do i need to look into another set of throttle bodies?? If i do are there and other years i can use or strictly gen 2?? Thanks guys

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,226 Posts
Glad to hear you got the motor running again. Woohoo.

You should not be able to freely move the secondaries like that. They are driven with a stepper motor. You're fighting the motor that is trying to position the secondaries to that location. You'll never be able to freely move them by hand. You can overcome the resistance, but you'll likely damage things in the process. If the motor isn't resolving the position properly and driving the secondaries like it should, a new set of thottlebodies is needed. The motor is calibrated at the factory to that set. Not cheap.

You should first check to ensure that everything is connected to the TBs and it's getting power to that motor. Some people have in the past been somewhat successful in replacing that motor off another set from what I hear. But it's a big deal as it needs to be properly adjusted once it's working. You can carefully unscrew the butterfly plates and remove them. Just be careful not to drop the screws into the intake valves and into the cylinder. It will run with the plates removed, but you're likely to see some low-end power reductions from that. But that's the easiest thing to try if the motor is shot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks brother. Every thing is definitely connected. Maybe from sitting for a while off the bike the shaft got gummed up or something?? I have the tb off the bike now. Really dont want to lose any low end. If i do remove the blades i assume the light will stay on?? I def don't want that with my ocd lol. Yeah the motor thing is a story in itself. I picked up a used motor that had 10, 000 miles on it and I wanted to check the valve clearances before putting it in. Every single intake retainer was broken. So I went ahead and upgraded the valve springs and put new upgraded retainers in. So I should never have to worry about that again. I didn't know that was an issue with the gen 2 until I started doing some research after I found these. I saw the motor run and shift through all the gears before I bought it and there was absolutely no indication that all the retainers were broken. Thank God there was no damage done. I dropped a pan and it was perfectly clean

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think probably unless the stepper motor is FUBAR and its not so common to be, that the position sensor is out of place so doesn't move in sequence with the main throttle. Look at the sensor adjusting screw guide its been moved from original position its likely left a faint mark from the screw washer just slacken it off and move back to that position.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Michael hope all is good with you. Was going to send you a message after taking this for a ride but then this popped up. The marks on the sensor is lined up perfectly. I found a post on here that someone was able to take the throttle bodies apart including the black motor and lube everything and they started working properly. I think im going to try that and see what happens. There is a set on ebay for $100 shipped. I might just pick those up for that price. Then i have a spare set in case i want to have the injectors cleaned or need a part or something down the road as i intend on keeping this bike for quite a while now that its running good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts