Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dealer released bike missing at low end. Bike never missed before dealer got it. Code 33 which tech showed me and tech also said that since FI light is on all the time (oem can servo removed) can't do whatever. I had warranty cam replacement and 45k service. Tech said all four valves were tight. Plugs bad and two were very bad, if I recall. Air filter was disaster, which I knew. Radiator was holed so replaced (which I knew). Tech also said that 'it was still missing.' I didn't know what he was saying but remember thinking he must be more sensitive than me which is kinda normal. At the time never occurred to me that the bike would be anything but perfect as it was perfect prior to dealer got it sans the radiator. But I did notice two misses at low end.

Service contacted Kawa corp and my impression is that Corp really was involved at some point in the bike. But service did not call to ask for info on the missing prob. Judging by what the tech said to me about the 'missing is still there' is that tech can't handle the missing problem and service management laid it on me.

Dang

Dealer is about 20 miles from home and all slab. Bike was normal at slab speeds staying under psycho speed radar (CA everyday drivers that can go good here if clear).

I figured might have to take bike back to dealer to sort out, (she drives me back) mentioned the missing to the wife, and, omg, now she thinks I'm gonna die. I told her I'll feel out the problem on the loop not to worry. right. Crap and dang. fookin ripple from an undeclared dork miss.

Ok, at this point I'm doing the loop tomorrow unless the wife blows up the fookin bike. I'm thinking this could be the third crap riding summer in a row.

Dealer had the bike for exactly 21 days, (three weeks). I forgot how to ride.

edit: this is not a dealer bash post but simply reporting. Dealer tech did a lot of needed work including cam chain replacement warranty.

This case was different in that tech could NOT ride the bike prior to work as radiator was leaking, but all future dealer visits I will state clearly what is wrong with the bike and ask tech to test ride prior to work to sense the history.

What is code 33? My impression from the tech is that code 33 was can related and seems to be related to the missing, but idk, as I didn't know what I had until I felt the missing. then I got the message. lol

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Scout, buddy, you gotta take this stuff to heart and start maintaining your bikes better. Routine maintenance is key to the longevity, especially with how many miles you put on them. Unless you consider them disposable and can just throw them away when you're done abusing them. :dontknow:

Service code 33 is an oxygen sensor fault. If the sensor is bad, or the wiring to it is buggered up, then you'll likely have poor running as the ECU is adjusting the fuel inappropriately. You may be able to get away with just cleaning the sensor or you may have to replace it. Shouldn't take long, but I'd recommend you have the dealer look at ASAP so you don't cause other issues.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Is anyone else wondering how in the hell he gets this stuff warrantied? I can only assume he is good buddies with whoever does warranty claims at that dealer.

As for the rest of the problems. Not shocking when maintenance isn't done.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Anyone curious as to how he is getting FI Code 33 (Oxygen sensor - not activated) on a North American 4th gen, that doesn't have an O2 sensor to begin with?
I thought about that, but know he's out in commiefornia and figured maybe the bikes that were destined for that state had them. I know (pretty sure anyway) that there were differences between the bikes that went there and the rest of the US.

Reactions: White Fang

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Anyone curious as to how he is getting FI Code 33 (Oxygen sensor - not activated) on a North American 4th gen, that doesn't have an O2 sensor to begin with?
Yes, that is somewhat troubling. I'm assuming it has something to do with the immobilizer. :badteeth:

Actually, I didn't even contemplate it much farther since he is in Cali and I know they have the weird models out there and chalked it up to that reason. But you're right and it doesn't make any sense.

So, either the tech read the code wrong? Or the ECU was flashed with a Euro map? Or Scout's lack of maintenance is just so profound it's affecting parts that don't exist? :dontknow:

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Bike ran normal on today's loop. I noticed that it seemed quieter a bit and noticed that the front brake was way smooth. No missing at any level. I informed dealer yesterday that the bike missed twice at low end. Tech told me when I picked the bike up that the 'bike is still missing' and I thought stuff but didn't say anything mainly because I was running that info in my head BUT then took me until after I arrived home to figure out that the tech thought I brought the bike in missing. Hard for my mind to sort out how others think as I think that everyone thinks like me. lol

Just now reported to service that bike is all good and manager, thinking about the missing prob, said tech guy thought plug caps/cables looked a bit worn possible cause of miss, so idk, maybe the problem will come back.

Possible I got the code number mixed up . Hate to call back as I could sense that both service admin and tech didn't much like how I beat the crap outta the bike...sounds familiar.

Tech did a ton of work on the bike way beyond normal (I guess as never had a bike tuned at dealer in past) as in cleaning stuff. I think admin charged me for it so all good, but still I can tell he felt sorry for the bike.

ok, thx for feedback but hope no one is mad trying to sort 33 code as now I'm thinking, after reading the 33 mystery comments, must have messed up on the stupid code. I do recall the tech said something about me bringing in the can servo under the seat to plug in so he can sort whatever from the 33 code. Wish I was brighter to have focused on the 'missing' comment enough to ask what he meant at the time.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Bike ran normal on today's loop. I noticed that it seemed quieter a bit and noticed that the front brake was way smooth. No missing at any level. I informed dealer yesterday that the bike missed twice at low end. Tech told me when I picked the bike up that the 'bike is still missing' and I thought stuff but didn't say anything mainly because I was running that info in my head BUT then took me until after I arrived home to figure out that the tech thought I brought the bike in missing. Hard for my mind to sort out how others think as I think that everyone thinks like me. lol

Just now reported to service that bike is all good and manager, thinking about the missing prob, said tech guy thought plug caps/cables looked a bit worn possible cause of miss, so idk, maybe the problem will come back.

Possible I got the code number mixed up . Hate to call back as I could sense that both service admin and tech didn't much like how I beat the crap outta the bike...sounds familiar.

Tech did a ton of work on the bike way beyond normal (I guess as never had a bike tuned at dealer in past) as in cleaning stuff. I think admin charged me for it so all good, but still I can tell he felt sorry for the bike.

ok, thx for feedback but hope no one is mad trying to sort 33 code as now I'm thinking, after reading the 33 mystery comments, must have messed up on the stupid code. I do recall the tech said something about me bringing in the can servo under the seat to plug in so he can sort whatever from the 33 code. Wish I was brighter to have focused on the 'missing' comment enough to ask what he meant at the time.
You got it sorted and did your loop. Not many guys have the kind of miles on the Gen 4 you do. You are like the "torture test" guy.

Those air cleaners look terrible after just a few thousand miles. Dealer replaced mine with K&N when they R&R'd the frame. It was nasty, full of bugs and crap. When you get out in the mountains tearing it up you tend to ram a lot of insects and junk into the snout.

What was the deal with the cams? Or was it just the cam chain? Is this your first set of plugs?

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You got it sorted and did your loop. Not many guys have the kind of miles on the Gen 4 you do. You are like the "torture test" guy.

Those air cleaners look terrible after just a few thousand miles. Dealer replaced mine with K&N when they R&R'd the frame. It was nasty, full of bugs and crap. When you get out in the mountains tearing it up you tend to ram a lot of insects and junk into the snout.

What was the deal with the cams? Or was it just the cam chain? Is this your first set of plugs?
oem filter in mine. It works ok. Tech guy and admin guy couldn't believe that old filter. The radiator fried them, too. I just politely asked them to throw them away if didn't already. I didn't have to see them. I knew they were toast. Oh yeah, it had bugs and rocks in there. Bird feathers and bird guts, too. Not joking. Not that I go fast just the birds sometimes slow down too much. cam; that started going about two weeks prior to the radiator hole. Thought it was rocks in the chain or loose chain. Tech said cam was gone and Kawa warranty took care of that. original plugs were in it. plugs were bad, valves too tight, rocks everywhere. Good thing they never saw the '11. also, dealer said that Kawa rates cams between 35k-45k. If the bike is gonna be worked, extended is mandatory.

Did second loop today and that bike floated. I note ZERO difference in power or handling. NO DIFFERENCE. The bike ran hot prior to dealer. Bike runs hot after dealer. Two slight items are different: front brake is a bit smoother with the fluid change. pads not changed out. I've always like the brake but like it better now. Whatever the tech did, that I noticed. And I don't brake that much. Second difference is that the bike sounds a bit different. np, but I can hear a difference and I don't hear much with the ear protection.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Original plugs at 40,000 miles? Wow mine only has about 4000 miles and I was going to do them.i have it apart for the ecu getting flashed.maybe Ill just leave them.lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts