Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've been having some of those pointless meetings where nothing gets done. Most of the time, these end up being an hour or so of people letting their ego shine.

Just a little info here for the other IT folk, we are writing software for embedded devices.

Software Engineer A: "I'm disappointed with your team because Software Engineer B was able to do this all by himself on our old platform. Your team does nothing but come up with excuses so you don't have to do it."

Me: "Disappointed? All we're doing is taking the 2 options we were given and are trying to discuss with you the pros and cons of each architecture. If you feel that Software Engineer B can do it better than us, why not make a request for him to do it?"

Software Engineer A: "It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. I'm not trying to attack you guys."

Me: "Well you shouldn't have said it at all. We aren't making tongue-in-cheek comments or attacking anything you're saying. The issues we're discussing right now are based off of the research we've done and the experiences we've had in the past. All we're trying to do is avoid running into these scenarios in the future; all of which are completely valid." :headshake

(you idiot) :thefinger

He is responsible for the middleware layer of our product. There are tasks that should be handled on that specific layer, just in case something crashes on the presentation layer my team is in charge of. The crashes aren't always avoidable - this is just the nature of the beast. He is trying to push the middleware logic on to us and have it be handled in the presentation layer. The problem about doing things this way is if something happens on the presentation layer, it'll render some major functionality completely useless. Whereas if it stayed in the middleware layer, we could have something detect the error on the presentation layer and relaunch it (watchdog/daemon) without rendering things completely useless.

Still following me? :dontknow:

Anyway - - - I just had to get that out. I'm sure some of you other folks can chime in on some stupid stuff you go through daily.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Lol the whole time reading that im thinking u work at initech...u must not have gotten the memo. I'll go ahead and get u another copy of the memo bec were now putting cover pages on all the TPS reports ok thaaaaaaaaaaanks

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
As a manager for the Railroad everything is pretty much cut and dry, I say something and they go and do it. But as far as dealing with the Federal Railroad Administration or the PUC inspectors its pretty much like what you mention. Ego's start showing and the cussing and belittleing comences.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Yep. Go through explaining things to people who have NO CLUE how things actually work, why they so or ain't work and my favorite......"Now that you bought these new machines you have to hire people to run them. Who's gonna run these six new $500kmachines? " And I get a head movement like they are a freaking dog!

·
Registered
250 Posts
There is a reason why there's a middleware layer and a presentation layer. What's weird is that usually it's someone who doesn't understand software architecture that tries to do everything in the presentation layer because s/he doesn't understand concepts such as MVC (model/view/controller). And you're saying that a person dealing with middleware is actually trying to push things off to the presentation layer? How is that person even still working at your company?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a reason why there's a middleware layer and a presentation layer. What's weird is that usually it's someone who doesn't understand software architecture that tries to do everything in the presentation layer because s/he doesn't understand concepts such as MVC (model/view/controller). And you're saying that a person dealing with middleware is actually trying to push things off to the presentation layer? How is that person even still working at your company?
It was mentioned, "Let's think about this sort of like how MVC works... the middleware is going to be the Model and Controller" and it was nothing but push back.

One of the things we (me and another lead I work side-by-side with) joke about is, "The majority of our engineers come from the old Nortel... what happened to Nortel?" :crackup:

.... where my stapler? :dontknow:

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Swinglines sure are some sweet staplers :lol:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Swinglines sure are some sweet staplers :lol:
Man, I could go on and on about the stupid shit I hear.

The other week I was told that I needed to figure out/understand how a certain part of our application build process works because a resource was being moved to another team. . . So I went to investigate and I simply asked TWO people who have extensive knowledge with it, "How do I accomplish this?"

Instead of showing me, I got led on to a 20-30minute speech about why things are the way they are. This didn't answer my question and when I was asked, "Does this make sense?" My reply was, "Well, I'm not quite following you, but I'll figure it out." Seriously, I spent 40 hours trying to take the information they gave me and understand what the hell I needed to do.

Finally, on the last day, I came across a random article from a Google search that wasn't exactly what I was searching for but it led me to the right solution.

THREE FREAKING LINES OF CODE...

THREE!

:eyecrazy:

THREEEEEEEE!

These fools could have EASILY just said, "Here... this is how you do it!"

I am all for self-learning, but I lost many hours when someone could have just flat out told me.

Son of a... :bs:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts