Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to know once I get into 2nd if I just pop up thro the grears fast while WOT instead of backing off a tad and clutchin into the next gear if it will cause the front to pop up or get a little unstable. I will be straped and I don't have a DJ Quick Shifter or Air shifter yet so I just wanna see if its ok to bang the gears that way

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,756 Posts
It's OK to upshift without the clutch, but you'll have to "back off" a tad anyways to get it to pop into the next gear. The gear dogs are undercut to help keep them together under load. The only way to allow them to disengage properly is to preload the shift pedal, back off the throttle slightly, and bang it into gear. It won't hurt anything if done properly. If done sloppily it can damage tranny parts such as forks, shift drum, gear dogs, etc. The quickshifter interupts the ignition signal when a gear change is made to allow the tranny to unload in this same fashion for a split second while the throttle is still held open.

If you've never done it before, I'd recommend practicing it outside of a dragstrip environment first.

It shouldn't cause the front end to wobble or come up unexpectedly when doing this.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Look at the other thread you posted. I put up a vid of Norm Jackson and he is shifting without the clutch.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's OK to upshift without the clutch, but you'll have to "back off" a tad anyways to get it to pop into the next gear. The gear dogs are undercut to help keep them together under load. The only way to allow them to disengage properly is to preload the shift pedal, back off the throttle slightly, and bang it into gear. It won't hurt anything if done properly. If done sloppily it can damage tranny parts such as forks, shift drum, gear dogs, etc. The quickshifter interupts the ignition signal when a gear change is made to allow the tranny to unload in this same fashion for a split second while the throttle is still held open.

If you've never done it before, I'd recommend practicing it outside of a dragstrip environment first.

It shouldn't cause the front end to wobble or come up unexpectedly when doing this.
Thanks for the info. :)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
819 Posts
The dogs are not undercut on the zx-10 tranny stock..........

The ignition will also not kill when you pull up on the shifter.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
It's OK to upshift without the clutch, but you'll have to "back off" a tad anyways to get it to pop into the next gear. QUOTE]

You can hold WOT & slightly fan the clutch.........it wont let the revs drop that way.

I just got a damper. nice addition.

·
Registered
322 Posts
seems to be a topic that needs more researching

·
Registered
667 Posts
My dynojet quickshifter likes a positive/deliberate shift. I have gotten it between gears a few times.......... all were done halfhazardly........rider error I would say.

never had an air shifter so i dont know how they compare, but I do like the DJ.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
see sig

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
clutchless upshifts are fairly easy to get the hang of. DJ shifter is the way to go.Just keep throttle pinned to the stop and upshift gear when ready.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I usually just keep the throttle pinned and snap the clutch. I guess everyone does stuff differently...

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 20 Posts