Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles are you all getting on your clutch. Im not doing track days yet. Mostly normal cruzin around town, plenty of hwy miles and some days in the mountains. Yea I will hit triple number speeds but I cant say Im hard on it. Let me know what you guys are getting.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
68,000 km on the original clutch, although I suspect that mine is almost done.

If you are not doing high RPM clutch drops (drag racing or wheelies) it will last a long, long time.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts
With the way you seem to be riding, without going to the track your clutch should last I would say 10k miles or more, easy.
Shit, it should last way longer than that if it's just normal riding. It wouldn't surprise me if it got 30-40,000 miles or more out of a stock clutch with just normal riding and proper maintenance.

Once the clutch is fully engaged, it's not wearing out. It wears out during starts and shifts when the plates are apart and rotating at different speeds and they start to slip when the clutch is re-engaging. If the clutch is fully engaged, the clutch plates are locked against each other and there should be no wear on them. I've got over 11,000 miles on my stock clutch with several trackdays and such and I bet they would look brand new if I pulled the plates out of there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont get me wrong, I ride. Lots of open Hwy around here not to mention plenty of windy country roads with good surface and to im only 90 minutes away from the mountains where I manage to get rid of the chicken strips. It just feels different. it could be im just riding harder. it has 24000 on it. I have only lifted the front end on purpose once. It used to get a little lite when I was really pushing it on a straight away but it hasnt done that in a minute. it still rides fine im just paranoid... this is my only toy and the smallest thing concerns me. with that said, How hard is it to change the clutches myself. Im pretty mechanicaly inclined. I dont plan to do the valve adjustments myself in the future but im no idiot. :thumbsup:

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
Winding country roads and dragging your knee around the corner put zero wear on the clutch. It's not slipping when it's transmitting power straight through.

Hard high-RPM launches - slippage - is what causes high clutch wear.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
and if you need someone to walk you through it all, give me a holler. Ill help you on it.

I got 17k out of my stocker. I drag though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts