Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I ride a Gen 3 08 ZX-10R and having some up shifting issues, I had my mechanic try my bike to understand whats happening when upshifting and he states he'll need to take apart the whole transmission to find out why my bike is upshifting the way it does currently. i'll try to explain in words what is happening when I upshift from 2nd to 3rd and so forth till 6th going from 1st to 2nd gear shifts up no problem but when it comes to 2nd to 3rd thats where the problem starts you are unable to upshift unless you tap down slightly on the clutch pedal and you almost feel a tiny vibration almost a "klink" then your able to upshift to 3rd and have to do the same to upshift all the way to 6th if you dont tap down to what i call "unlocking the transmission" you are unable to upshift, you can try as hard as you want its locked into that gear like i said earlier you have to tap down slightly on the clutch pedal to upshift. you can downshift fine no problems if you down shift from 6th to 5th you can upshift without having to slight tap down on the clutch pedal from 5th to 6th no problem if you downshift though to 4th you can upshift fine to 5th but will need to slight tap down the clutch pedal to "unlock something thats being locked" to get to 6th gear.

Has anyone ever heard or experienced this issue? this issue started from a stand still drop my good friend had though he put the kickstand down all the way but wasn't and bike ended up landing into the clutch rearset and crush my center LH plastic I did not have sliders on the bike, i havent had sliders on a bike since 100k miles ago didn't think i'd ever let my bike down, which really was my friend but shit happens.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Routine common problem with the Gen 3 shifter on 2008's.

Only the clutch basket needs to come out.

Use 2010 parts.

You just need to replace the cracked shift shaft.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I believe the 09 shaft is up rated as well as the 2010, your mechanic is having a laugh mate, you need to split the cases on the Gen3 to get at the transmission, id find someone else in your area :angryfire:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
To add to Boxtradamus' post above, this is the pic I've posted a bunch of times in the past as well.

If this is truly the problem with your shifting, you don't need to split the crankcase to get to this part. You need to pull the clutch basket out though to get behind it.

Reactions: nerv
1 - 6 of 6 Posts