1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st, I used the search button and have been reading. :mrgreen:

Ok, Here is my problem...
05 10R.
No slipping of the clutch, none what so ever.
High RPM launch, low, wide open throttle, it's all good.

When I am slowing down to come to a stop.
(In 1st gear) With the clutch lever pulled in,
It's frigging squealing like a brake pad does. WTFO :dontknow:

Other than that, It has no other issues at all.

Does not do it in any other gears, only in 1st when slowing to a stop,
and going slow (in 1st) and pulling in the clutch.

Any ideas fellas ?

I've been reading up on the clutch threads, seen a loose hub nut,
worn fiber plates and what not.

Could it be the judder plate??

Don

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Have you opened the clutch and looked at it? My first thought is the back torque limiter (judder spring) is too weak now and causing the clutch plates to slip in reverse a little bit under engine braking. But that wouldnt happen unless you were actually engine braking, not with the lever pulled. So my next place to look would be the little bearing that the clutch release lever rides on. You may be getting some metal-to-metal contact there that's causing it to gall up. If that were happening, it's likely to be doing it all the time when the clutch is pulled, but you may not be hearing it until you get slow enough in first gear.

Gonna be hard to diagnose though without pulling the cover and looking for obvious signs of a problem.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you opened the clutch and looked at it? My first thought is the back torque limiter (judder spring) is too weak now and causing the clutch plates to slip in reverse a little bit under engine braking. But that wouldnt happen unless you were actually engine braking, not with the lever pulled. So my next place to look would be the little bearing that the clutch release lever rides on. You may be getting some metal-to-metal contact there that's causing it to gall up. If that were happening, it's likely to be doing it all the time when the clutch is pulled, but you may not be hearing it until you get slow enough in first gear.

Gonna be hard to diagnose though without pulling the cover and looking for obvious signs of a problem.
10-4 You talking about this one pictured below?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Pull the cover and check the hub, pack, etc. Thats gonna be the easiest way to see. Im pretty sure what SkyDork is talking about is the bearing as all. When was your last oil change?

·
Registered
414 Posts
MY Gen 4 did that exact thing. I ended up putting a new clutch in. It stopped the sound. I put in new plates and fibers nothing else.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Yeah, that's the bearing I'm talking about in the diagram above.

Tuner7's experience with changing the plates out doesn't make sense to me because it's not slipping under power. But that's not to say, it's not the problem. It very well could be. But before I swapped out the pack like that, I'd have a look at the other components.

It wouldn't be a bad thing either if you re-oiled the plates to help make sure they aren't dried out excessively. If doing this helped quiet it down, you can then turn your attention there as the likely culprit.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Had the same squeal when I had clutch issues with my gen 1. Turned out to be the bearing SkyDork showed u. Although I had to replace the bearing and the rod and the pull rod (whatever it is called but the vertical rod that hooks to the cable). The sooner u pull that clutch cover off the better cause if the bearing's going bad those rods will start shaving off and all that's gonna be in ur oil..

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Had the same squeal when I had clutch issues with my gen 1. Turned out to be the bearing SkyDork showed u. Although I had to replace the bearing and the rod and the pull rod (whatever it is called but the vertical rod that hooks to the cable). The sooner u pull that clutch cover off the better cause if the bearing's going bad those rods will start shaving off and all that's gonna be in ur oil..
Yeah, if the throw-out bearing is bad, it's most likely chewing into the throw rod (part 46102 in the diagram) and that should be replaced along with the bearing. Depending on how soon you catch it, it may or may not affect the actuator rod that goes into the clutch cover. You should inspect that to make sure the area that grabs the throw rod is not gouged or de-formed at all.

And as Dude stated, metal shavings can get into the oil if you have metal-to-metal contact going on. The filter and oil pickup screens would filter these out, but it's best if you catch it early and thoroughly clean out the clutch housing. If you find any and are anal/paranoid, then the next step would be to drop the oil pan and clean the metal oil pickup screen and pan out good.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fellas,
I recently changed my oil and filter approx 5 to 600 hundred miles ago.
So there shouldn't be much debris in the oil in that short amount of time.

And I took it for a test ride today and I listened carefully.
It is making that squeal noise in all gears when I pull in the clutch.
So yes, I agree with you SkyDork,
I think it is that bearing.
I'm gonna order the rod and bearing.

Thank you so much for your help. :eek:ccasion1

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Hope that's the issue and you get it resolved right quick. :ayyy:

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hellsrazor, I'd still open the dang cover and look inside ... :bitchslap
Yeah, I'm gonna do that.
I went ahead and ordered the bearing and rod, they came in today from
http://www.hondaeasttoledo.com/
Cheapest place online to find parts.
Now I just gotta pick up a new jug of oil and a filter,
Then I'll open it up, change my clutch fiber plates (already have them too)
bearing and rod. Do a light sand on the judder plate.
Put it all back together.

·
Registered
578 Posts
soak your new fibre plates in your brand oil prior to install. ski

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hellsrazor did you resolve the problem I have the same problem so I replaced the rod and bearing and it still makes the noise but less frequently. I haven't replaced the clutch plates yet I think that may be the next step.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hellsrazor did you resolve the problem I have the same problem so I replaced the rod and bearing and it still makes the noise but less frequently. I haven't replaced the clutch plates yet I think that may be the next step.
Man, I haven't had any time to work on it yet.
Bike has been sitting in the dining room till I have the time to work on it.
This weekend, I've had to work on my riding mower, had to replace both spindles and blades and do a tune up and oil change.
Cause we have had a lot of rain and I cut 6 yards for my family.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I finally got around to changing my clutch,
Turns out the squeal was coming from the tip of the push rod
where the clutch release bar pushes on it.
So, I went ahead and replace everything.
All good now.

Attachments

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Self clearing of the clutch cover? Mine did that. Stack height was a little high. Check the factory groove on your cover. May be a little extra to that Groove if you know what I mean. Lol

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
There wasn't a mark on the cover.
It was were the tip of the push rod rubbed against the release bar.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts