Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a great ride.
I noticed when accelerating hard from a junction,when I got to the higher rpm range in 1st and 2nd the clutch seemed to start slipping.
Can anyone give me any help, tips or advise?
Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's done about 6000 miles,I ride quiet fast but I don't screw it to death.
How the previous owner rode it, I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
That's not very many miles for the clutch to crap out however it has happened that early before. I would start out by doing what they recommend as periodic maintenance and make sure you have the cable adjusted correctly. This is free and a good start. Did you change the levers recently? If that doesn't solve it then you probably need to look into the clutch. Might need new steel or fiber discs and while in there do the springs. There is a great write up in the how to section concerning replacing the discs. I'm hoping it's just a cable issue though.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
that's not very many miles for the clutch to crap out however it has happened that early before. i would start out by doing what they recommend as periodic maintenance and make sure you have the cable adjusted correctly. This is free and a good start. Did you change the levers recently? If that doesn't solve it then you probably need to look into the clutch. Might need new steel or fiber discs and while in there do the springs. There is a great write up in the how to section concerning replacing the discs. I'm hoping it's just a cable issue though.
:+1:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The levers were replaced by the previous owner,he may of not adjusted it correctly.

I have only ridden it for about 1000 miles, if even that.
Trying to ride it at high revs in 1st and 2nd is quiet difficult on normal roads,but I don't have to tell you guys that.

I read on another forum somewhere,to find a quiet road and try starting and going through the first 2 gears and keep adjusting the lever to see if it gets any better or worse.

I noticed that putting it into 1st it clunks so I adjusted the cable so it now goes into gear smoother.Is it possible that it is a little to much adjusted?

Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The clunk is normal. You may have the cable too tight. I like to have about 3/16 of free play in my lever before it pulls the cable.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I think per specs you only need to have 2-3mm of free play at the end of the lever. Download a free service manual for it and go through those steps. I can usually tell if my cable is wrong just by letting it out in first in my driveway.

If he replaced levers he was probably a fairly conservative rider and your clutch is probabaly ok.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
As long as there is some free play in the clutch lever than adjustment is not your problem. Are you sure its slipping...these bikes rev really fast. I'm not sure how much experience you have.. Just throwing out suggestions...Could be spinning the tire too

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As long as there is some free play in the clutch lever than adjustment is not your problem. Are you sure its slipping...these bikes rev really fast. I'm not sure how much experience you have.. Just throwing out suggestions...Could be spinning the tire too
I read that somewhere,about tire spin.

I think its clutch slip though,it seems to rev but loose power until 3rd gear then picks up again.

Where can I download a service manual,the link on here doesn't work?

·
Registered
360 Posts
to test if it's slipping, put it in third at 30 mph or so and go full throttle. If the revs shoot up, it's the clutch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts