Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my clutch discs out to soak them in oil. The reason being that it trys to pull through when starting it in gear. The first 5 were not really oily to say the least so thats probably where I was having trouble. I was wanting to know if anyone does anything to get rid of the "hot spots" on their steels? I was thinking about hitting them with a scotch brite and cleaning them up a little but wasn't really sure if it matters.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Why pulled them out of oil to soak them in oil?

·
Registered
132 Posts
what are you running for oil?? my 6r used to do this, granted it was my fault. first bike and i was told i could use car oil in it...definately not true. switched to kawi oil and been good ever since

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Cody.

I was running kawi oil but got tired of driving an hour to get it. So I am running rotella t oil now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My buddy at the track gave me the best advice for cleaning the surface blueing and varnish off the steels. Get some muriatic acid from a pool supply store and a soft brush. Make sure that you have good ventilation, rubber gloves, prefereably safety glasses as well and two large plastic or glass bowls. One will have just enough muriatic acid to cover a steel plate and another will be filled with water and baking soda (to neutralize the acid). Do the plates one at a time. Gently brush off the residue while the plate is in th acid and watch the plates look new again. At most maybe 10-15 seconds per plate is all you need. After you clean each one, IMMEDIATELY put in the water/baking soda bowl to neutralize the acid. Repeat for the rest of the steels.

Once all steels done check to see if any are warped, if not perfect! Otherwise time to order some new ones.

Be careful as this is acid and will attack metal and you so be warned!

This sure beats the ole scotch brite routine. It is so easy that it seems like magic to watch the plates get so clean

Fibers-

Lightly wet sand each one with 400 grit sandpaper in a figure 8 pattern just enough so that glaze is off.

Measure fibers to see if the are in spec, if good sweet! Otherwise time to replace them.

My clutch has over 100 passes on it and just started slipping a bit. I pulled it apart last week, did the above steps and it is like a brand new clutch again.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My buddy at the track gave me the best advice for cleaning the surface blueing and varnish off the steels. Get some muriatic acid from a pool supply store and a soft brush. Make sure that you have good ventilation, rubber gloves, prefereably safety glasses as well and two large plastic or glass bowls. One will have just enough muriatic acid to cover a steel plate and another will be filled with water and baking soda (to neutralize the acid). Do the plates one at a time. Gently brush off the residue while the plate is in th acid and watch the plates look new again. At most maybe 10-15 seconds per plate is all you need. After you clean each one, IMMEDIATELY put in the water/baking soda bowl to neutralize the acid. Repeat for the rest of the steels.

Once all steels done check to see if any are warped, if not perfect! Otherwise time to order some new ones.

Be careful as this is acid and will attack metal and you so be warned!

This sure beats the ole scotch brite routine. It is so easy that it seems like magic to watch the plates get so clean

Fibers-

Lightly wet sand each one with 400 grit sandpaper in a figure 8 pattern just enough so that glaze is off.

Measure fibers to see if the are in spec, if good sweet! Otherwise time to replace them.

My clutch has over 100 passes on it and just started slipping a bit. I pulled it apart last week, did the above steps and it is like a brand new clutch again.

Thanks man. I've never heard of doing it that way. Theres a pool supply store right down the road from my house and I'm pretty sure they have that acid. I'll give it a try!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts