Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the middle of a pretty big project. Pulled the motor for various reasons that will be addressed when I close out another topic that I posted a while back.

My current issue involves my clutch. I replaced the cable because I thought it was stretched. The clutch kept having to be adjusted till it was maxed out again. However, I reached the maxed out point, even on the new cable. At this point I figured it was that my clutch was completely shot. I purchased a new one and installed it while the motor was off the bike. Which brings me to my current dilema.

After a couple pulls of the lever, the slack increases. I got to the point where there is even slack when the nut is maxed out, even with the new cable, plates, and fibers. Clearly none of these are my problem.

My question is, what gives?!?

I can't remember the name of the rod that engages/disengages the clutch. Do you think the rod is the culprit? I can pull the cover off and check parts, but I'm not sure what to look for.

Any help is appreciated. Sorry for the long read.

·
Registered
974 Posts
the rod is a big wear point....it might even be able to be removed without taking the cover off......unhook the cable and turn the rod counterclockwise to release the pin and it might just pull right up and out.....if I can recall correctly.

the damage is obvious....i did a post of it a while back...it;s floating around here somewhere

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
On the clutch cable, did you use the nut at the hand lever, or the nut at the other end? If it took a couple of pulls after initial setup, then maybe it's just the parts "settling in"?

Other than that, I second what badassjake said---check the rod and the pin. Look for wear where these two parts engage with each other. Any wear that would change the shape of any of these parts would be excessive. The amount of travel there is relatively small so any deviation from the original shape may affect the end result.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts