Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I have been searching the forums and consulting the service manual (10x over) and am still baffled.

Background: My clutch has been acting funky lately. The lever hasn't been returning all the way out after releasing the clutch (taking off or shifting). It slipped for the first time on me today because the clutch was half-engaged when the lever was fully released. After taking off or shifting I have been pushing the clutch lever out in order to ensure proper engagement.

I ended up taking the clutch cover off today and hopefully you guys can help me solve this problem as I walk through the diagnostics.

1. At first inspection, it appears that something is awry with the spring. There appears to be more space between the clutch case and the release shaft than normal.

Side note: I can compress the spring with my index finger.

2. After removing the cable from the swivel on the release shaft, the release shaft slid right out of the case after rotating 90° counterclockwise. The manual says to avoid this, but I didn't know the release shaft wasn't held in place by a retaining clip and that you could remove it before removing the case cover.

After inspection, the release shaft looks like it is in good shape:

3. Case removal

Upon inspection of the pressure plate, I noticed some scratches on the outside of the pressure plate. There were no scratches on the interior of the clutch cover. Scratches were around the rounded edge of the PP and there were some awkward scratches in the radial direction on the face of the PP facing us.

I don't know if those scuffs are from production or what.

More notes:

The space between the top of the case and the swivel of the release shaft is .3".

Something just appears wrong.

Could this just be the spring?

Cheers fellas.

·
Registered
771 Posts
That little return spring just for cable slack most the return is in the clutch springs.
I bet all those marks are just factory tooling was the cable binding or just way out of adjustment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main problem is the clutch lever doesn't return all of the way. I don't believe it has to do with the cable itself, as there is some resistance when pushing the clutch lever back out.

I've fooled around with adjusting the cable as much as I can. I've tried it pretty much everywhere. I've lubed the cable and I'm still baffled at this.

The return spring seems weak. I was testing my buddies zx6 spring tension and it seemed stiffer than mine.

Where should I start first? Not having two wheels is killing me on my commute every day. I'd like to get her back up and running ASAP without taking it to a shop...

Any obvious solutions?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That little return spring just for cable slack most the return is in the clutch springs.
I bet all those marks are just factory tooling was the cable binding or just way out of adjustment.
Could I have a couple bad clutch springs at 1800 miles? This whole thing seems odd.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Need to look at the clutch plates and pressure plate springs.
The coils under those 5 or so bolts are what load the clutch.
May have a fractured disk dislodge in there.
1800 miles is awful soon but shit happens.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
you should have the cable and adjuster at the perch adjusted so you have a gap between your clutch lever and the perch of 5mm about the width of a penny to a nickel.

·
Registered
771 Posts
maybe a basket broke?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maybe a basket broke?
Not sure... I think I'm going to start with replacing the return spring and maybe do the cable too even though it appears fine - maybe I'm missing something. If that doesn't do it and no one knows what for sure this could be I think I'm going to have to take it in. I don't have the facilities to leave the clutch cover off for more than a couple hours.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a week of torment, I found the time to start over and readdress this problem from scratch.

Removed the cable and decided to remove the lever assembly this time. When the lever was on the bike it wasn't too difficult to move back and forth (so I thought). It seemed a little stiff, but nothing out of the ordinary. When I had it off of the bike I couldn't move it back and forth AT ALL.

After taking the lever assembly apart:

low and behold, the pivot for the lever was CORRODED.

After mild 120 grit, I went to 220 and then 400 for a polish. Then I lubricated all points of contact with Tri-Flow.

I wrapped the sand paper around a screw to get the corrosion off of the holes through the lever and bracket.

I should have been more thorough my first time through. In my defense (and the defense of the multiple shops I called and visited), I have never seen this happen before to a clutch lever.

It is functioning good as new.

If anything, this problem gave me the motivation to create a profile and actually join the community.

Cheers fellas.

*CASE CLOSED*

·
Registered
771 Posts
glad you have gotten it figured out...sucks you overlooked the small things....don't it many of times painful lessons

1 - 12 of 12 Posts