Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Clutch problem?????UPDATE

I am hoping I can say this the way it has been acting. My bike has 1200+- miles and during my last two rides the clutch has been acting "very broke". I feel there is something wrong with it.
Ok here goes....When I pull in the clutch it seems to me it is still slightly engaged for just a 1/2 second to one second. First it takes that long for the R's to go down all the way to idle (for example I am going in any gear around 2000 r's or 2500 r's, just to see if it is me or the bike, and pull in the clutch and the r's do not drop like they use to, and second it has become harder to shift the bike, up or down, when I am riding around town. When I have it skint back everything seems fine with no shifting or slipping problems at all. I have checked my slack, changed my slack and nothing changes it.
ANY help would be appreciated cause I DO NOT want to let some of the #@*%!
mechanics around here ride my bike to feel what I can tell them.
Thanks in advance for your time and input!

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
uhhhh, I thinki I recall somebody having this problem before in a past thread. You may want to do some searching. I think they said they pulled their clutches aparts, cleaned em, oiled em and slapped em back together. Im not sure tho, I would try searching for the thread. Sorry to hear about your problems and good luck getting it running normal again.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found this one http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3999&highlight=clutch+problem and it seems to be the closes to what mine is doing. Does anyone have this problem?
It was below 50 when I started riding however it got up to around 70 at the end of the day and it continued. I suppose it seems to not be disengaging as quick as normal. Some of you said to go to lighter weight oil. I am using 15 40 Mobile 1300.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have changed my clutch out 4 times, cause I drag race. And I really can't think of it being anything other than linkage. the clutch handle just pulls the lever inside that disengages the clutch pack, it's very simple. so either you have an issue with the linkage or you have an issue with the clutch pack, both are easy fixes, takes about 30 minutes to switch a set of clutches out in these things. You might try taking them out and cleaning them resoaking and putting them back in, just dont let them soak to long cause I hear it loosens the fibers. I just dipped them in for about 20 seconds and installed them and I get alot of passes on each set-up. But I really think it has something to do with your linkage, open the oil cap and make sure when you pull the clutch handle that the pack is being disengaged, if not adjust it down by the clutch itself.

Just my opinion. good luck

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
heheheh, I got the pics back up, and now I can do this once again:

hehehehe

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I had the exact same problem. Clutch not releasing properly, revs not dropping, shifting was hard, had to blip the throttle before up and downshifts.

In the end, all it took to fix the problem was an oil change! Well actually two oil changes. I think that the Castrol GTX Magnatec, that was in the bike when I got it, didn't work too well with the clutch! At the first oil change, we stuck to the magnatec, due to the "don't use synthetic when running in a motor" theory! My next oil change at 3500km, I switched to Fuchs Titan. The clutch got slightly better, but not cured. And at the next oil change at 6000km, the problem was solved.

I'm certain that it was the oil that was the problem, with my bike anyway!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just took my clutches out and soaked them. They were very dry?? Why is that?? I was not able to ride but I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
1. The spring pressure forces the plates together, squeezing most of the oil out, and 2. I imagine that when installed at the factory the plates are dry as well.

Old FZR1000's had problems with not enough oiling to the clutch packs. A few guys removed the baskets and drilled them for better oil flow and got good results. Yamaha adopted this method a couple years later and voila, no more burnt up clutches.
Now, I'm not recommending you do anything this drastic to your 10, but maybe we'll see a redesign of the clutch oiling galleys in the years to come if this problem keeps surfacing.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fair improvement...however I think the outside temp and operating temp has something to do with it. It was about 68 today and there was a small "notch" when shifting at low R's. Good mod anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts