Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2015 with + 2,000km

This does not happen every time i ride, and very random. Seems to happen between 3rd and 5th At High RPMs

The bike feels like it jumps out of gear but its still in the same gear. It acts like the clutch slips but sounds like jumping out of gear. Its hard for me to explain. I think it has done this 4 times now. Its so hard for me to figure if its human error or if something is wrong.

I thought the first two was just me, maybe i pulled the clutch without realizing, or maybe a bump forced my boot to tap the lever. Im very careful, but im still human. Ive really worked on my shifting techniques and trying hard to make it second nature under high rpm at high speeds.

If it continues ill have to pull the clutch and look at it, but what are the signs i should look for? Is there a common problem that happens with these clutches now and then?

I keep thinking with it so Random, it is human error. I know today my hand was off the clutch completely when it happened.
The clutch is adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am not sure though, but you can check out the clutch wire for instance. A loose wire can cause the clutch to get things weird and gears being stuck.

·
The Pace
7,045 Posts
What have you done with clutch? Anything? What I'm asking, have you 'adjusted' the clutch or changed levers or done anything at all with clutch. One more question, and don't laugh, did you recently change the oil?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mine does the same thing, 2012 model with about 7500 Miles on it. I have replaced my clutch and with an aftermarket one as i thought that was my issue. Pretty much replaced and checked everything and it still does it. Next stop is ripping the box out and checking for wear on the gear selection forks etc. Pretty sure its down to the internals of the gearbox.

Edit: Seeing as yours is pretty much brand new (i am out of warranty :crying:) i would take it to your dealer and explain what is happening. Insist that it isn't user error and that it is not acceptable for a new bike to behave like this.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What have you done with clutch? Anything? What I'm asking, have you 'adjusted' the clutch or changed levers or done anything at all with clutch. One more question, and don't laugh, did you recently change the oil?
Nothing has been changed on the clutch. The adjustment is in spec. The oil has been changed 3 times so far. These where good questions as i forgot to mention if i modded the clutch. Which i have not, this bike is practically brand new.

Mine does the same thing, 2012 model with about 7500 Miles on it. I have replaced my clutch and with an aftermarket one as i thought that was my issue. Pretty much replaced and checked everything and it still does it. Next stop is ripping the box out and checking for wear on the gear selection forks etc. Pretty sure its down to the internals of the gearbox.

Edit: Seeing as yours is pretty much brand new (i am out of warranty :crying:) i would take it to your dealer and explain what is happening. Insist that it isn't user error and that it is not acceptable for a new bike to behave like this.
yeah i was wondering myself if it may be in the gear box. I hope not, the problem here is i cannot trust the mechanics. They dont have a clue on how to work on bikes. They will try and recreate the problem, and that wont work as its random and in high speed/rpm range. Im not going to let a mechanic that rides a XRM 80 to 125cc underbone take out for a spin lol. Please update if you decide to tear into the box before me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went for a ride today and tried to duplicate it, but nothing happened. I would think if it was a gear box it would be more consistent.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I can replicate my issue over and over. If i were you i would swap to GP shift. Its much easier to stomp it down solidly than click it up solidly if it is user error.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can replicate my issue over and over. If i were you i would swap to GP shift. Its much easier to stomp it down solidly than click it up solidly if it is user error.
Your probably right, im getting ready for a QS anyway. I rather it be human error than the bike. I know things happen, but i really hate when i have something new that is not right.

Tomorrow im going for a ride, there is nice straight i can open up. Im going to run each gear through its power band. I wont have enough room to get 6th,and im not going to try 1st. I should be able to run 5th out, not sure.. Ill concentrate on each gear as i go.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking at my shifter today, and from other photos it looks like its bent inward some? If it is, maybe it happened during shipping. If someone could look at the pics and let me know your opinions. I measured by laying the caliper on the toe peg and letting it but against the frame. It measured 11mm

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have had the same thing happen as well. I have tried to duplicate it, but it never works. Honestly I think the rear tire is breaking loose. I was running roads in northern florida where the roads were kinda dusty. I think at such high rps the motor is pulling so hard that any degradation in hook up caused it to break loose. Pretty gnarly to think about that happening at 160+, but thats my guess.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Well, I would start with loosening your shift pedal bolt and pushing it all the way in until it sits flush with the shaft.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1433089892.019733.jpg

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had the same thing happen as well. I have tried to duplicate it, but it never works. Honestly I think the rear tire is breaking loose. I was running roads in northern florida where the roads were kinda dusty. I think at such high rps the motor is pulling so hard that any degradation in hook up caused it to break loose. Pretty gnarly to think about that happening at 160+, but thats my guess.
The roads are pretty bumpy, i know the back jumps around alot. Pretty sure though its s slip out of gear or clutch slips, bc its so dramatic at times.

Well, I would start with loosening your shift pedal bolt and pushing it all the way in until it sits flush with the shaft.

View attachment 326914
thanks for the advice, ill do that today.

·
Registered
815 Posts
according to an article in the latest edition of MCN (UK paper), the gearbox in the gen4 is known to have too much slop and causes (quote) "premature wear on the selector forks and gears so it starts jumping from 4th to 3rd, or it refuses to go into gear...." (unquote)

This is usually only apparent on race bikes and not considered a problem on the road, but it may be related to the issue the OP is having

Selector forks or gear ratios were having to be changed on some bikes every meeting. The solution offered was to get the gearbox shimmed to tighten the tolerances and extend its life. As its a cassette design, this is apparently quite a straightforward job

·
Registered
216 Posts
Selector forks or gear ratios were having to be changed on some bikes every meeting. The solution offered was to get the gearbox shimmed to tighten the tolerances and extend its life. As its a cassette design, this is apparently quite a straightforward job
This is exactly as I suspected. Mine should be getting stripped down soon seeing as its winter (Australia). I suspect my selection forks are done. It started with 2nd to 3rd, then rarely between 3rd 4th. The other day it happened between 5-6th...... Not sure how much more life i have left in her before something terrible happens.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
well today i went out and ran the dog out of every gear except 6th. Not one time did it miss. The only thing i did was the adjustment DUDE had mentioned. Im chalking it to human error.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts