Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did a bit of riding today, a lot of stop and go shit too. And was I was riding home I tried to do some 2nd gear clutch ups, around 6-7k, and it just doesn't seem to wanna do it most the time.... A few times it took and as im just getting used to the bike I backed out but it was all smooth, some other times it just lifted the wheel off a couple inches. But then It ended up just revving up and not grabbing... I cant imagine my clutch was just hot or anything, no idea if its ever been replaced tho... 1st gear power wheelies no problem at all just for whatever reason it doesn't wanna grab it seems. Now I know being lowered 3" rear 2.75" front and the suspension all fucked up doesn't help but still. Any ideas or things I should try? I do know how to wheelie on my 750 and I can do that relatively fine. I really do hope my clutch isn't fucked, how much will that shit end up costing me if it is?

Excuse me for not looking around to much btw I just got home and need to get to bed for work and figured this is easier so thanks alot guys in advance.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Being lowered is also going to hurt the ability to wheelie. My bike is lowered is 2" rear and 1" front with cut forks and my bike only wheelies under a hard launch even with new clutches. Never tried clutching it up though.

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
Shoot a PM to Dwayne (username Cycle Concepts) he will hook you up with a new clutch. They are easy to put in and there is a nice guide in the howto section. Dwaynes a great guy and will guide you through what you need. Only go with Cycle Concepts drag pak or OEM clutches... don't bother with any others.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well my 750 is -1.5" with -1 +3 and wheelies with ease. So while I realize itll make things difficult with 3", with 190whp with 114, so probably a little less with the 91 im running, but should be no prob. Clutch doesn't seem to slip under hard accel, tried it some more today and it felt real smooth and nice, didn't have any problems with 2nd clutch ups, outside of me being a newb with wheelies on this bike lol. Also did a cpl dashes from low first to top of 2nd and one mid first to top of 4th with no probs and no slip that I noticed. One time it even lit up the rear tire trying a 2nd clutch up after 20mins of interstate driving, so I don't get what the problem was yesterday but im sure this wont be the end of the issue.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Well my 750 is -1.5" with -1 +3 and wheelies with ease. So while I realize itll make things difficult with 3", with 190whp with 114, so probably a little less with the 91 im running, but should be no prob. Clutch doesn't seem to slip under hard accel, tried it some more today and it felt real smooth and nice, didn't have any problems with 2nd clutch ups, outside of me being a newb with wheelies on this bike lol. Also did a cpl dashes from low first to top of 2nd and one mid first to top of 4th with no probs and no slip that I noticed. One time it even lit up the rear tire trying a 2nd clutch up after 20mins of interstate driving, so I don't get what the problem was yesterday but im sure this wont be the end of the issue.
sounds like you might got the clutch a lil hot yesterday. make sure you got a nickel size space between the lever and perch so it want burn your clutch plates out alot sooner.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea maybe, was like 30mins+ of driving around in the same block in the old market looking for a damn store that evidently doesn't exist anymore lol. Here's a pic, does this look right then?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Yea maybe, was like 30mins+ of driving around in the same block in the old market looking for a damn store that evidently doesn't exist anymore lol. Here's a pic, does this look right then?
the cable looks a lil tight in the pic. check and make sure you have a nickel size space between the lever and perch when you grab the lever but not fully in.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea total newb whats the perch and what do you mean when I grab it but not fully in lol. Not really getting how your explaining to check it, sorry a little tired >.< Thanks for the help so far tho.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Yea total newb whats the perch and what do you mean when I grab it but not fully in lol. Not really getting how your explaining to check it, sorry a little tired >.< Thanks for the help so far tho.
the perch is where the lever meets. put a lil tension on the lever to see if you got a nickel size space between the lever and the perch. if you dont adjust the cable till you do.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ohhh okay i will do so in a couple days, supposed to rain for like 3 days straight. :sad: So you think maybe the clutch is partially engaged all the time and making it run hot/burning it up? These levers are a bit odd to get used to I tell ya, such a shorter range then the stock ones on my 750. And my frickin front brake squeeks and shit so I gotta look at that too. Guess there is always flaws to getting a great deal.

Id send more rep to you but it says I can't! Rep sent to everybody tho. Thanks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well after a bit of riding today, went like 100 some odd miles, a cpl stops but not for too long, some hard riding alot of just cruising, it seems to have done it again when attempting a 2nd gear clutch up. Not to long after I started riding I was able to do them fine, but on my way home no dice. So imma try to loosen the clutch cable some, not sure how much. Here are some pics of the clutch fully engaged, and one partially. Confused as to where that nickle space should be because on part of it, its worn into the lever.

Also, instead of opening a new thread, under my seat I found this (circled below) what's it for and does it need to be plugged into something?

Thanks for all the help, id rep ya more if it'd let me.

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
That nickle space just means you want to be able to move the lever a tiny bit before it starts pulling on the cable....so there is no tension on the cable at rest.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,616 Posts
The connectors - The one on the left is a diagnostic plug and is supposed to be like that. Leave it alone. The one on the right is your rear brake light switch. It's supposed to be mounted on the right rear set and connected to the lever with a spring to activate your brake light when the rear brake is applied.

As for the clutch, you've got issues there. The lever and perch should not be rubbing like that to the point that the metal has deformed. I'd wager that the spacer was not reused in the new lever when it was put on and you've got too much free play in the pivot bolt that is causing that wear. Secondly, DO NOT loosen the clutch any more. It's entirely too loose as it is.

Take a nickel and turn it on it's edge. Place a bit of tension on the clutch lever so as to get the lever to move, but not pull the cable at all. You should adjust the free play in the cable until you've got just enough space to pinch the edge of the nickel in between the lever and the perch. Looks like you can put a whole stack of nickels in with what you've gotten.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Well after a bit of riding today, went like 100 some odd miles, a cpl stops but not for too long, some hard riding alot of just cruising, it seems to have done it again when attempting a 2nd gear clutch up. Not to long after I started riding I was able to do them fine, but on my way home no dice. So imma try to loosen the clutch cable some, not sure how much. Here are some pics of the clutch fully engaged, and one partially. Confused as to where that nickle space should be because on part of it, its worn into the lever.

Also, instead of opening a new thread, under my seat I found this (circled below) what's it for and does it need to be plugged into something?

Thanks for all the help, id rep ya more if it'd let me.
you have WAY to much slack man. stick a nickel in between the lever and where it meets in the pic you posted. tighten up the tension on the cable till you get the space you need. also it might be time for a new clutch.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well I had a dumbass attack, thought you meant just pull it in some regardless of tension. Been a long past cpl weeks sorry, its got tension from the start there is no slack whatsoever, so loosen it till it has a nickle size space slack before tension? As far as the rear break light sensor, I never use the rear w.o the front so might as well leave it be. Thanks

Well I couldn't hardly get the thing on the handle to turn, so im adjusting it on the bottom side. Just curious how do I know if the clutch is engaging fully. But im tweaking it to get that nickle size space. Moving the knob near the lever is a pain in the ass so ill just leave that be i think.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Well I had a dumbass attack, thought you meant just pull it in some regardless of tension. Been a long past cpl weeks sorry, its got tension from the start there is no slack whatsoever, so loosen it till it has a nickle size space slack before tension? As far as the rear break light sensor, I never use the rear w.o the front so might as well leave it be. Thanks

Well I couldn't hardly get the thing on the handle to turn, so im adjusting it on the bottom side. Just curious how do I know if the clutch is engaging fully. But im tweaking it to get that nickle size space. Moving the knob near the lever is a pain in the ass so ill just leave that be i think.
yes thats correct. and the adjuster knob shouldnt be that hard to turn by the lever.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got it now I think, where i originally had it had the nickle size space but the clutch wasn't fully disengaging or w.e u wanna call it when I pull the lever in and switch gears i heard racket. Fairly certain its all good now, little less then nickle space but better then before I think. I couldn't move the knob by finger at all, adjusted it using pliers and it got some decent tension so figured it needed adjustment on the other end. Atleast I hope this is good now, won't know till thursday weather permitting and if I feel like riding a bit. Still when I switch gears from neutral to first it goes in hard, but was like that before too and I think it just a aftermarket clutch.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
190 HP!? Damn I wish my bike made anything close to that.....What all you have done cuz thats unherd of?????? Cycle concepts clutch is about 155-175$ depending on what you get. Best and cheapest clutch I have ever found!!!!!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts