Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing another ZX10's clutch today and re-discovered that 2 of the friction plates in the stack are different from the other eight. the two that are different have more, smaller friction pads on them. Eight plates have 36 larger 'pads' on them while two plates have 48 'pads' on them, each pad being a little smaller. Anyone know why this is done? The one I just pulled apart had one of the smaller 'pad' plates at the top of the stack and the other down at the bottom(closer to the transmission). I'm wondering if the order/placement of these two plates is important/critical? The 48 'pad' plates are identical to the 36 pad plates in every other aspect+measurement. same diameter, inner and outer, same thickness, same number of tangs on the outside, just a different number of pads. Also, the service manual makes no note of there being 2 different styles of friction plate, but my bike is the same.
It's been so long since I had mine apart, I can't remember where these two plates were positioned in the stack and I don't really want to pull mine apart to see if it's the same.
I know, I know, I'll just put it back in the same fashion it came apart in, but I'm curious about the reason these two plates are differnet.
Also, this bike has about 4600 mi. on it and the clutch is completely smoked(Def. rider error) but the other odd thing is the two smaller pad friction plates show very little to no signs of wear, but the eight other plates with larger pads have totally disintergrated. (If they were brake pads, she'd be metal to metal :) It took me an hour to get all the friction plate material off the damn clutch basket last night. Strange that 8 plates would be destroyed while 2 plates look like virgins. All the steel plates are black from heat discoloratioin though, so she's been slipped lilke a MoFo though. I'll take some pics and put them up later so you guys can see what I'm talking about.
JG

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Gladding, I have no Idea....

The only thing I can come up with is it has something to do with the slipper action??

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Here's the microfiche page for the clutch plates. The two outer plates are different than the 8 inner plates. Don't know why, but this does show the orientation.

Attachments

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
When a clutch pack is disengaged the inner plates will seperate much more than the outer.......try it when the cover is off and take note. Anyway thats been my experience and most likely why you've discovered what ya did.

BD

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm, I know what you're talking about BD, but on this bike, the 8 middle friction plates were destroyed and the two outer plates look new. Strange. Oh well, she's back together and running

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Damn. I knew I forgot something when I done my oil change. I was going to to the gladding "sticky clutch cleaning mod" and do a photo how-to using your instructions... Was going to do it while I had the oil drained. Not gonna spill that expensive ass Silkolene to do it now. I guess I'll try to remember it next time I change the oil. :heyyou:

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
yes dont forget about it on your next oil change, and dont forget high quality pics

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
stunnerific_harry said:
yes dont forget about it on your next oil change, and dont forget high quality pics
Will do... I sure meant to do it this time. :headshake

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
what happens if you dont do it?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
gladding24 said:
Hmmmm, I know what you're talking about BD, but on this bike, the 8 middle friction plates were destroyed and the two outer plates look new. Strange. Oh well, she's back together and running
exactly!! the outer plates looked new because they don't have near the amount of disengagement that the inner plates do, hence when someone slips the shit outta it what takes the brunt of the abuse?? the inner plates.

BD

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
El Diablo said:
Damn. I knew I forgot something when I done my oil change. I was going to to the gladding "sticky clutch cleaning mod" and do a photo how-to using your instructions... Was going to do it while I had the oil drained. Not gonna spill that expensive ass Silkolene to do it now. I guess I'll try to remember it next time I change the oil. :heyyou:
Already taken care of last year El, looky here:
http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3244&highlight=grabby+clutch

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry BD, I should have said the top friction and bottom friction plates look new, not the top two frictions.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
gladding24 said:

Ahhh... I knew you done a how-to on it, I just didn't remember it having pics. Been a while since I checked your thread out. I was going to take pics to add to your instructions. Looks like all that's left to do is move it to the how-to section. Thanks for pointin' that out, man. I'll see about getting it moved... :eek:ccasion1

1 - 17 of 17 Posts