Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have a 06 now streached but when I was stock wheelbase I went through clutches like I go through hoes! Streaching it and adding more gearing helped but still burnin'em up just not as fast. Bottom line is if you drag race.....you gonna burn clutches but theres ways to get a lil more life out of them

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
If you run stock wheelbase your going to go through clutches.

Keeping your clutches oiled and cool is the life of it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Drag racing and street riding my stock clutch lasted till the end of 06 and I bought the bike new in 04. Listen to RR. That guy knows his shit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
how do you keep your clutches oiled. It is always in oil when the bike is running

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
how do you keep your clutches oiled. It is always in oil when the bike is running
Get in a routine of leaning the bike over to the clutch side before starting and making a pass.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Get in a routine of leaning the bike over to the clutch side before starting and making a pass.
This helps clutch life ALLOTT!!! Honda clutches suck a fat one, and mines gone over a 100 passes now.

What about drilling the fins on the clutch basket? :dontknow: Where would you drill?
Sounds like something worth trying.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
This helps clutch life ALLOTT!!! Honda clutches suck a fat one, and mines gone over a 100 passes now.

What about drilling the fins on the clutch basket? :dontknow: Where would you drill?
Sounds like something worth trying.
I haven't done it, but if you look on the inner hub there are already some small holes. They say you can open them up a little for better oiling and also on your clutch rod file one side of it flat. :dontknow: I never done either of these though.

·
Registered
945 Posts
ive been rough as hell on my clutch for 15k miles been to the drag strip couple of times, wheelies, racing my friends from every stop light; ive never so much as adjusted the free play in my clutch!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
ive been rough as hell on my clutch for 15k miles been to the drag strip couple of times, wheelies, racing my friends from every stop light; ive never so much as adjusted the free play in my clutch!
:eek:ccasion1 :thumbsup: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
so, leaning the bike over for a few seconds helps the clutch before starting the motor to warm up will make the clutch last longer. i always thought leting the bike warm up will pump enogh oil into the clutch.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
:eek:ccasion1 :thumbsup: :rolleyes:
I see that little sarcasm RR.:wink: Not all have as many launches or use the clutch to it's fullest like you do:thumbsup: , if I remember right when you first got the 10R yours went out around 10k before you replaced. I must say the bike still runs strong but noticed lately the 1/8 & top speed is going down maybe a good indication my clutch is going bad...seems to have started around 12k or even higher....but that's some good clutch life IMO for a stock bike with many passes.:thumbsup: OEM for me I see soon for replacement.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I see that little sarcasm RR.:wink: Not all have as many launches or use the clutch to it's fullest like you do:thumbsup: , if I remember right when you first got the 10R yours went out around 10k before you replaced. I must say the bike still runs strong but noticed lately the 1/8 & top speed is going down maybe a good indication my clutch is going bad...seems to have started around 12k or even higher....but that's some good clutch life IMO for a stock bike with many passes.:thumbsup: OEM for me I see soon for replacement.:thumbsup:
My 04 10R has only got 6500 miles on her. :dontknow:

OEM parts fo'sho!!! :thumbsup:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
My 04 10R has only got 6500 miles on her. :dontknow:

OEM parts fo'sho!!! :thumbsup:
I remember though when it went out and you had major passes and mileage on the 10R..but yeah..OEM f'sho.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I remember though when it went out and you had major passes and mileage on the 10R..but yeah..OEM f'sho.:thumbsup:
Yeah, like 80 passes or something like that. It was original, but I had it out mulitiple times soaking fibers and scuffing steels:thumbsup:

·
Registered
193 Posts
man... I have nigh 25k miles and never did nothin but abuse the bike: Power wheelies nearly everyday, multiple nights at the drag, track days, canyon riding, tons of freeway commutes, burnouts+smoking donuts (good way to say bye to a tire). Been recently experiencing some false neutrals from 3rd to 4th and can't get into 2nd from a stand still, yet she still screams.
Plannin on taking it out for a good scrubbing soon, bought some light oil, brake kleen and stainless scouring pads for the day. heh, guess I'm just too ignorant to know what a fried clutch feels like :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts