Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tech question. Bike stalled on me the other day when I was rolling up to a stop sign with the clutch pulled in. Now when I try starting the bike in first with the clutch pulled in the bike moves forward. Like the clutch isn’t disengaging. I have proper 3mm clutch lever free play. Took the cover off last night, pulled plates out and measured stack height. Height was within service limit. Springs are all in spec. When I had the clutch plates out I put it in first and the bike rolled forward no problem, as expected. But when I put it all back together following the plate orientation per the service manual, I’m still having the same issue. I’m obviously missing something. If anyone has any input I would really all it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
97grnrs Yeah it turns out the plates are sticking. I’ve done everything I can think of to resolve this issue. I cleaned all my steel plates with a soft wire brush. Soaked the friction plates in oil before installing them. I check the warpage on all the plates. They all checkout. Stack height is in spec. Friction plate thicknesses are all in spec. The bike still wants to take off in first gear when the clutch is pulled in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure plates aren't sticking, I've seen steels warp when hot and get better when cold also
Are you sure plates aren't sticking, I've seen steels warp when hot and get better when cold also
97grnrs Yeah it turns out the plates are sticking. I’ve done everything I can think of to resolve this issue. I cleaned all my steel plates with a soft wire brush. Soaked the friction plates in oil before installing them. I check the warpage on all the plates. They all checkout. Stack height is in spec. Friction plate thicknesses are all in spec. The bike still wants to take off in first gear when the clutch is pulled in.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If they are sticking while hot I'd suggest replacing the steels, and if the fiber are old replace them also. I've seen both warp when hot and be OK when cold, face curve edge of steels inward

1 - 5 of 5 Posts