Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, after days of searching, and a few pm's i had to post.

fist off, i bought my bike with 800 miles on it, and it has been perfect ever since.

by no means am i an easy rider, i put my bikes through the ultimate test.

now..about a week ago i notices there was unusual slack in the clutch, and it was starting to shift hard, i wasn't able to clutch up wheelies as easy...so i adjusted to make it better (up at the handlebar) well shortly after within minutes time it felt just like it did before (before i adjusted)
so i keep adjusting, and its repeating the outcome.

so today i go out for ride, and my bike just feels REALLY notchy when i shift, im like what the hell..at this point, i get down and adjust my clutch on the case cover for slack...still doesn't solve my issues.

so halfway through my ride, i notice when im in first (at this point the clutch is adjusted almost all the way out at the handlebar) my bike wants to keep moving.

its soo bad now that i can barely leave a stop light when i shift into first, my bike automatically engages when i put it in gear with the clutch in or out..so i had to rev it pop it in 1st a away she goes...and just rev match without the clutch all the way home.

now my clutch when pulled in is virtually USELESS.

it isn't slipping as far as i know, it will pull to redline with no slippage but its just not disengaging??

please any help..could it be maybe the shift rod etc..or what.

thanks for all suggestions!!!!

j

·
Registered
2,524 Posts

fist off, i bought my bike with 800 miles on it, and it has been perfect ever since.

now..about a week ago i notices there was unusual slack in the clutch, and it was starting to shift hard, i wasn't able to clutch up wheelies as easy...so i adjusted to make it better (up at the handlebar) well shortly after within minutes time it felt just like it did before (before i adjusted)

so today i go out for ride, and my bike just feels REALLY notchy when i shift, im like what the hell..at this point, i get down and adjust my clutch on the case cover for slack...still doesn't solve my issues.

so halfway through my ride, i notice when im in first (at this point the clutch is adjusted almost all the way out at the handlebar) my bike wants to keep moving.

its soo bad now that i can barely leave a stop light when i shift into first, my bike automatically engages when i put it in gear with the clutch in or out..so i had to rev it pop it in 1st a away she goes...and just rev match without the clutch all the way home.

it isn't slipping as far as i know, it will pull to redline with no slippage but its just not disengaging??

j

might wanna check out this thread :dontknow: http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6525

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Well :welcome: to the site.

Your symptom sounds just like what happened to me when I replaced my clutch, I had to adjust a few times after replacement to get the slack out after a few rides and now it's all good, but you don't seem to be in that situation so you may need to open up the clutch cover and check the internals at this point if you did the adjustments right :dontknow: :badteeth:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
It may sound stupid but check the adjuster on the left side on the motor and make sure it is snug.
________
Confucianism Advice

·
Registered
2,897 Posts

j
I would take a close look at the service manual and go from there

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok im going to pull the cover and check things out...not a big deal im mechanincally inclined so it should be alll good.

as for clutching wheelies "fire"...well i would like to see you power a wheelie up at 160 in 5th or 6th gear.....thats where I use the clutch.

and for occasional stunting...dont things its to easy to power up highchairs.

anyhow, i am going to eventually turn this into a track only bike once i get my hands on the 08, but this needs to be addressed immediately.

ill let you all know what i find out..thanks for all the help, please if anyone else has more suggestions feel free to chime in!!

thanks
j

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I can easily power wheelie a 10r stock in 6th :-D

but anyways, sounds like a worn clutch or possibly a bad inner hub, a buddy of mine jsut went threw something like that and it turned out to be the rivets on the inner hub were real worn and causing it to creep at lights...

Id check your clutch pack first.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

but anyways, sounds like a worn clutch or possibly a bad inner hub, a buddy of mine jsut went threw something like that and it turned out to be the rivets on the inner hub were real worn and causing it to creep at lights...

if its the inner hub does that mean i need a whole new basket or what??

i just gotta pull this crap apart and take some pictures....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i had that problem a while ago. your steels might be warped tha would cause it to not fully disenguage when your stopped. mine got so bad if i was stopped in first a couldn't goto neutral
yup, that sounds just like my problem...only way i was able to find nuetral was to find it rolling without the clutch

omg that was about the worst ride home EVER!

-j

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sorry

ok im going to pull the cover and check things out...not a big deal im mechanincally inclined so it should be alll good.

as for clutching wheelies "fire"...well i would like to see you power a wheelie up at 160 in 5th or 6th gear.....thats where I use the clutch.

and for occasional stunting...dont things its to easy to power up highchairs.

anyhow, i am going to eventually turn this into a track only bike once i get my hands on the 08, but this needs to be addressed immediately.

ill let you all know what i find out..thanks for all the help, please if anyone else has more suggestions feel free to chime in!!

thanks
j
Hey there Slowblack00 just for the record man I really didn' t mean to offend you bud. I was just surprised but you bring up some very good points!
:eek:ccasion1
:eek:t:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OKKKK heres what i think i figured out..
i got around to pulling my clutch cover and clutch out.
everything looked great, the bracket, rod, steels, and fibers...so im like WTF

ok check this pic out..this is not my pic, i used it but i modified it to pinpoint my problem

OK, now you see where i circled in yellow...that silver nut that looks to be what holds the basket in place..ok that joker is completely loose..like i can screw it with my hand no problem, its got about 5 more turns and its coming off. it has some sort of metal tension springs behind it...well anyhow, i need to know that thing must be tight, and probably my clutch as been giving me issues. whats the tq rating on that silver nut??? ANYONE and do any of you think its done harm being loose like that..thats the only reason i can imagine my bike has been screwing up because everything else looks 100%

thanks a lot,
j

·
Registered
536 Posts

dude.......BS!!! you do NOT power a wheelie in 6th!!! STOP!! :bs:

way too many people BS about doing POWER wheelies in 4th, 5th,6th. :bs:

BS!!!!

lets get real here.............

SOMEONE had to finally say it!! :bs:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts