Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope one of you techie guys can help me.

My 2003 Ninja 250R clutch cable snapped on me last week. I replaced it following the service manual and the DIY instructions on other sites. Problem is that the clutch will not disengage. I found similar complaints where the user couldn't ENGAGE...mine is opposite.

1. With the engine off...I put the bike in FIRST gear and try to roll it forward. It doesn't roll as designed.
2. I pull the clutch lever and it still will not roll forward. ????

I've made several adjustements to the freeplay and have no luck.
I pulled the release lever out and reinstalled it and the cables...no luck.
I pulled the clutch cover off and didn't see anything odd with the release lever or pusher, reinstalled....no luck.
I pulled the spring plate out, checked the bearing/pusher position, and reinstalled everything...no luck.

The old part number for the cable is 54011-1295, and according to ronayers.com I am using the new part# 54011-1261
Before the original cable snapped, everything was shifting smooth. I just bought the bike a month ago.

Please help!! What am I missing? Did I somehow screw something up upon removing the old cable for the clutch side adjuster/release lever?

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
Is there tension when you are pulling the clutch lever in?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found out that this is actually common behavior on the 250R. I cranked it up and let it fully warm up and the clutch seemed to loosen up a bit. I took it for several test runs while making adjustments to the cable(both ends). The bike is running/shifting fine now. Took it out for a 200 mile ride today too:cool:
Sorry for the false alarm.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts