Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after only 3600 miles it seems I fried my clutch. I blame the guy I was racing because he fried the clutch on that bike at the same time aswell. I think he has a scam going because he's the bike shop we all take our shit to have repaired!

Kinda confused about it, felt like I did alot more racing harder on my gen1 and the clutch held longer. Maybe it's because i'm launching at like 8k and slipping it out? Although that's about what I did on my gen1 but that was lowered 3".

First race it was fine I thought, second race I felt it slip a tiny bit sat for maybe 10 minutes or so went out for another race and it went nowhere lol.But normally I thought you notice slipping over time not just all the sudden like that? I did notice a few weeks ago about 175 the bike jumped in revs and my trac control fried off but I thought maybe I grazed over a bump iunno, but maybe it was the clutch.

But anyways what are my options as far as clutches go on a gen4, anybody have better experience with a certain brand or whatever? On my gen1 I got the drag pak from cycle concepts and it was great but wasn't sure at all the options out there. As I don't feel like doing another clutch change, took me 4 hours the first time on my gen1, ill just bring it to my buddies shop.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4 hours for a clutch change?
Lol it was my first time ever doing anything like that... outside in the god awful heat with bugs and shit and I double checked every single thing. I could do it again in much less time but still was a pita. I know people can bust it out in 30mins or less tho.

·
Registered
860 Posts
outside in the god awful heat with bugs and shit .
You wouldn't happen to be a female would you? :lol: jk

As for clutch suggestions I'd go oem, drag pack, or a clutch factory brand clutch.
I've been real happy with my gen 2 clutch but I do have a buddy that drag races his swb gen 4 and the original didn't last that long either.

Reactions: Johnn999

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You wouldn't happen to be a female would you? :lol: jk

As for clutch suggestions I'd go oem, drag pack, or a clutch factory brand clutch.
I've been real happy with my gen 2 clutch but I do have a buddy that drag races his swb gen 4 and the original didn't last that long either.
I am part ginger! I felt like a total dumbass doing that tho lol. I'm very happy to now have a garage and bike stands. Nebraska summer and bugs doing that on the dirt is just god awful.

I seem to recall ricky gadson burned up the clutch in like 4 runs didn't he lol. Think ill probably go drag pack, check with my shop guy unless he has some stupid cheap deal.

We seriously got like 5 people in the group of us that ride, out of maybe 15, that have burnt up clutches it's weird.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think the springs are to soft in the gen 4 coz mines slippin now and i only do track days and twisties :dontknow:

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
when you replace it, look into stiffer springs. Im not sure what the Gen 4s are rated at, but I know that the Gen 1 is like mid-40s and after my clutch went, I replaced it and have like 62lbs springs in it.. I like it a lot better. The pull is slighty more, but maaaaaaaan is it consistent on the strip.

Reactions: Johnn999

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I had gotten a DragPak and just ordered the new steels, fiber, judder plate and springs all together.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea on my gen1 I got 3 stiff springs 3 normal ones. Probably the same route ill want to go on my gen4. My shop/drag buddy says to have a excessive amount of play on the clutch cable when drag racing. Hopefully I can get the friction point where I like it tho with that. Been thinking swingarm extension and nitrous to take on his 350rwhp busa haha. Still probably get owned.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A few friends work close w/Ricky G. and they installed the Brock's kit and suggested the same for me.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I put a do clutch in my gen. 4 this past thursday. It feels a lot better than stock. The springs were significantly stiffer than stock. Mike at riders discount hooked it up. I would recommended this to a friend.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My buddy is saying brocks clutch mod spring kit and clutch. Not sure about clutch mod but sounds like ill do the others for sure

1 - 13 of 13 Posts