Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I don't know my head from my a** when it comes to mechanics, but I have an '04 and recently started hearing a grating/grinding noise coming from inside the clutch cover, but only when pulling the clutch in while rolling in gear. didn't make any sound with the clutch engaged, and sound disappeared if you threw it into neutral while coasting. I took it to a local dealer, the mechanic took it for a spin and diagnosed it as a possible broken clutch spring or something else inside the clutch. After I found Vonstallin's excellent post on how to change a clutch, I thought what the hey, and decided tear into it myself. After opening it up, no broken springs, just changed the friction plates as the were pretty worn (steel plates looked fine). Result: easier power wheelies, but sound still there when you disengage the clutch. Took the cover back off and removed the plates, noticed when you spin the inner hub by hand, feels and sounds like a bad bearing somewhere in there. It definitely makes a clunky noise if you alternate spinning it back and forth. Don't know where to go from here... anyone???:dontknow:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have an 06 and recently had the same problem. pull all the clutch plates out and then pull the center hub nut off. the whole basket assembly will then slide out. the basket is riveted to the fly wheel by three rivets. i snapped off two of those rivets. check those out. i had the same noises you were talking about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts