Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has just over 4,000 miles on it and the clutch is slipping to where its unsafe to ride. I've already tried adjusting the clutch cable and no luck. I downloaded the service manual for a 2011 in another thread and the manual states that I need a "clutch holder". Is this tool really necessary? Is there anyone here that has an extra one that I can buy if I need one? I'm having problems finding a clutch cover gasket online. Can I just use Grey RTV to install the clutch cover or do I need to find a gasket for the housing? The clutch repair kit I purchased was the EBC SRK complete clutch kit. My riding style consists of numerous highway pulls (rpm's up then dump the clutch), rolling burnouts and several 9 second passes in the quarter mile at the track.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,756 Posts
It is if you plan to remove the inner basket. If you're just replacing the drive and friction plates, then no. But Motion Pro makes one for about $30.

Get a new gasket. Don't half ass it and try to use the silicone. If you're gonna do the job yourself, do it right.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
My bike has just over 4,000 miles on it and the clutch is slipping to where its unsafe to ride. I've already tried adjusting the clutch cable and no luck. I downloaded the service manual for a 2011 in another thread and the manual states that I need a "clutch holder". Is this tool really necessary? Is there anyone here that has an extra one that I can buy if I need one? I'm having problems finding a clutch cover gasket online. Can I just use Grey RTV to install the clutch cover or do I need to find a gasket for the housing? The clutch repair kit I purchased was the EBC SRK complete clutch kit. My riding style consists of numerous highway pulls (rpm's up then dump the clutch), rolling burnouts and several 9 second passes in the quarter mile at the track.
You only need a clutch holder if your removing the inner hub, and so no, not needed if just replacing the fibers and or steels.

You should be able to re-use the stock gasket.

Watch this Brocks video. It shows how to remove the inner hub without a clutch holder if you have an impact wrench, otherwise you need a clutch holder if removing inner hub with just a wrench. Good luck with that.

Sounds like you DONT NEED TO REMOVE the inner hub doing what your going to do, so no, you don't need the holder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erytBVfF378&list=UUUnSNXFa7PVGtst3PN_MXug

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
+2 on above.
The gen4 gasket can be reused with NO issues. The oil level is below the cover so it is only splashed again the cover. Unlike the previous Generations which sat in oil and may eventually leak if you reused the cover gasket.
Personally, I have reused my stock gen4 clutch cover gasket for 2 years of dragracing, this means taking the clutch apart every weekend from March til Oct. This is only my experience though.

Reactions: dudewhrsmybike

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
+2 on above.
The gen4 gasket can be reused with NO issues. The oil level is below the cover so it is only splashed again the cover. Unlike the previous Generations which sat in oil and may eventually leak if you reused the cover gasket.
Personally, I have reused my stock gen4 clutch cover gasket for 2 years of dragracing, this means taking the clutch apart every weekend from March til Oct. This is only my experience though.
:+1: I reused mine as well. Good point about the oil on the Gen4 and previous Gen's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts