Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 08 10r that still has 1.5 years left on warranty. i need to know if this is covered and how to deal with it. i rode sunday, pulled in the clutch to change gears and when i let go and got in the throttle it just spun up(slipping). i noticed that there was still all the slack in the cable at the lever end as if the cable stuck and the clutch never engaged. after dicking with the throttle and shifter for a while ifinally got the clutch to engage,got the bike in gear and rode home without incident. at home i started by inspecting the cable...no problemse. next i took off the clutch cover and saw something i never had before. the first friction plate(closest to me) was partially outside of the clutch basket. as i started to diassemble i realized that between 1/4 and 1/3 of the friction plate was gone! damn... i drop the oil pan(after removing fairings , radiator,exhaust, etc) hoping to find the rest of it. between the pan and the oil screen i found the rest of the friction plate,a small round disc, and what klooked like a tooth. the tooth i noticed came from the front of the basket(it was missing 2). i didnt know where the disc came from. so i went deeper... took of the clutch hub and the basket. the disc was actually the head of one of the pins of the basket assembly. also, when that head broke off it gouged the the motor case adjacent to the back side of the basket(see pic). thus my dilema.is something like this covered? should i put it back together and take?never had to deal with warranty on anything before...what to do??:dontknow:

Attachments

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Unless you're cool with the service guys at your dealership, they MAY not cover it since you opened it up. Just be prepared. I usually buy my guys a couple pizzas and shoot the shit with them at the end of the day to butter them up when it comes to warranty work. It WORKS!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Unless you're cool with the service guys at your dealership, they MAY not cover it since you opened it up. Just be prepared. I usually buy my guys a couple pizzas and shoot the shit with them at the end of the day to butter them up when it comes to warranty work. It WORKS!
As neverendingmods said, it may have been covered but now that you decided to open it up, the dealer can charge you for the work. If you look up the terms and conditions of your warranty, it will tell you if it's covered, why try and have somene else look up your terms and conditions.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Looks like a part failure to me. Its not like you burnt up the clutch until the bike won't move and clogged the oil strainer. Does not matter that you "opened it up". Only catch would be if Kawasaki has had failures like this that are deemed to be "abuse". Bring in the bike and parts, and talk with service manager. If he isn't a prick he should be able to call kawasaki and get you an answer without charging you any diagnostic fees.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As neverendingmods said, it may have been covered but now that you decided to open it up, the dealer can charge you for the work. If you look up the terms and conditions of your warranty, it will tell you if it's covered, why try and have somene else look up your terms and conditions.
thing is i have never had to use dealership mechanics before, not only have i never had a warrantied bike until now, but im fairly proficient with my tools. so would one suggest putting it all back together and act as if i have no idea as to what the problem is?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Yes kawasaki only covers warranty if dealer does all the work and if they knew the motor was opened up by anyone other than a dealer they could void warranty if they choose to.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Looks like a part failure to me. Its not like you burnt up the clutch until the bike won't move and clogged the oil strainer. Does not matter that you "opened it up". Only catch would be if Kawasaki has had failures like this that are deemed to be "abuse". Bring in the bike and parts, and talk with service manager. If he isn't a prick he should be able to call kawasaki and get you an answer without charging you any diagnostic fees.
I have been a Kawi cert. tech and a service manager in a dealership before, this is something that depneding on the service manager and dealership owner, could go bad for him and the warranty coverage.

thing is i have never had to use dealership mechanics before, not only have i never had a warrantied bike until now, but im fairly proficient with my tools. so would one suggest putting it all back together and act as if i have no idea as to what the problem is?
I would put it all back together as best you can and take it in, if they say it looks like it had been opened before and ask if you had it open, tell them "no but you had a small oil leak so did a retorque on all the case cover bolts and that stopped the leak. UNLESS you know the service manager pretty good and he will let it slide.

Yes kawasaki only covers warranty if dealer does all the work and if they knew the motor was opened up by anyone other than a dealer they could void warranty if they choose to.
Exactly, when I was in the dealership as a tech. and a service manager, if someone came in with a box of parts and wanted warranty work, it would depned on what was wrong, the attitude they had about it and what kind of day we were having. Usually we went ahead and did a claim for the work but there were times when it would be a box FULL of parts or the customer came in with major attitude...guess what....they fucked themselves.

I don't take my bikes into a dealership either but if I have ANY doubt if it would be covered under a warranty, I will take it in (my case is I have ot drive over 100 miles to the nearest dealership because the guy they have wrenching at my local one is the guy I fired because he didn't know shit when he worked at the dealership I was at).

Good luck to the OP

·
Registered
83 Posts
Also, don't bother trying to get anything out of Kawasaki of America, they are real pieces of crap. I had the shift linkage on my bike FALL OFF at 200 miles, and they told me to deal with it, were not even concerned that it happened. I understand this is a "Dealer issue" but I was 200 miles from the dealer where the bike was purchased. They had a piss poor attitude in general, and were inclined at that point to just let me deal with the issue. Luckily the dealer where I purchased the bike was professional enough to just send me a new linkage, instead of giving me some bullshit corporate crap about it not being their problem.

I recommend following the above advice, deny anything they try and say "you did", don't give them any excuses to deny you of warranty.

I don't like being so negative, but these guys really have a bad attitude, and shit for customer service.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I don't like being so negative, but these guys really have a bad attitude, and shit for customer service.
When I was a service manager, I HATED dealing with Kawasaki on warranty crap, honestly, Yamaha was always the best to deal with for warranty work.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the input. i would definitely not be the one to bring in a box of parts to the dealership because that alone would imply that i didnt know what happened or that i couldnt put it back together which is definitely not the case. i spoke to a friend at the dealership today who in turn spoke to the service manager to cosign the fact that ive been a ten year customer, have multiple bikes and am not an idiot. the service mngr said that he would put in the call to kawi and the fact that i had it open wasnt a problem for him BUT almost NEVER has kawi ever repaired anything that has to do with the clutch. so now i wonder if i should just put new basket and frictions back in with new oil screen and if the motor grenades then bring it in. thing is, im not trying to get something for nothing, but i dont want to get fucked either, knowing i bought 3extra years of warranty...going against the little voice in my head that said it was a waste of money!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Its going to be obvious that you opened it up! Being honest is always better, if you come in there lying they may think you have something to hide. I have also been an Assistant Service Manager, Service Manager, Service Writer, and Factory Certified Tech. The only grounds for not covering the failure by you "opening it up" is if you damage something doing it. The CAUSE OF FAILURE is what determines whether something is covered under warranty PERIOD. Motorcycles used for RACING purposes void the warranty, although I have had many failures covered on these. I have been in service departments for Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki for nearly 10 years. Just take it in, be friendly and be honest. If they give you a hard time, ask for the Kawasaki Customer Service number. About 70 - 80% of the time if a customer calls they will call the dealer and cover the failure, EVEN IF THE TECH REP. YOUR SERVICE DEPT. CALLED DENIED YOUR REPAIRS.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its going to be obvious that you opened it up! Being honest is always better, if you come in there lying they may think you have something to hide. I have also been an Assistant Service Manager, Service Manager, Service Writer, and Factory Certified Tech. The only grounds for not covering the failure by you "opening it up" is if you damage something doing it. The CAUSE OF FAILURE is what determines whether something is covered under warranty PERIOD. Motorcycles used for RACING purposes void the warranty, although I have had many failures covered on these. I have been in service departments for Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki for nearly 10 years. Just take it in, be friendly and be honest. If they give you a hard time, ask for the Kawasaki Customer Service number. About 70 - 80% of the time if a customer calls they will call the dealer and cover the failure, EVEN IF THE TECH REP. YOUR SERVICE DEPT. CALLED DENIED YOUR REPAIRS.
that was good to know.. thanks, by the way already spoke to service mngr, tols the truth and hopefully kawi will tell him something good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts