Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Banned
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read multiple reports of clutch failures and issues, but have yet to come across a definitive thread detailing the issues and the fix.

What is the design problem with the Gen4 clutch?
What is the solution?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I've read multiple reports of clutch failures and issues, but have yet to come across a definitive thread detailing the issues and the fix.

What is the solution?
Haven't heard about widespread issues but my adjustment at the clutch lever is all over the place. Never had a clutch do this before but it seems to be settling down as I pile on more miles.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I burnt my OEM fibers learning to dragrace my 11' model in 200 miles.. LOL
If anything it has to do with the clutch being way high in the engine like a R1 setup. They are known for terrible clutch life and get stupid azz hot.

The Gen4 11-13' models are the same, it gets insanely hot and doesn't cool down at all. Unlike the older Generations of zx10s, you could actually tip the bike over abit and get some cooler oil into the fiber/basket area. It is impossible to do it with the newest model. I'm considering looking into the R1 oil line mod to see if it helps cool the clutch down.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Haven't heard about widespread issues but my adjustment at the clutch lever is all over the place. Never had a clutch do this before but it seems to be settling down as I pile on more miles.
Mines the same, when bike is cold clutch lever is tight with no play... Once warmed up it goes loose like 8-10mm free play??
I'm constantly adjusting it at stop lights...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Mines the same, when bike is cold clutch lever is tight with no play... Once warmed up it goes loose like 8-10mm free play??
Had the same problem, I changed the spring and disks with DP brakes clutch kit.
Part number 1131-0524 , 7000 miles no problem I had 1000 miles on the bike when i put the kit in. is not so much the disks but the spring on OME parts are weak ,just changing the spring would do the trick. If you are not drag racing with the bike.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Had the same problem, I changed the spring and disks with DP brakes clutch kit.
Part number 1131-0524 , 7000 miles no problem I had 1000 miles on the bike when i put the kit in. is not so much the disks but the spring on OME parts are weak ,just changing the spring would do the trick. If you are not drag racing with the bike.
:+1:Yeah the springs are crap and i noticed when i changed out the springs they were painted yellow and the paint was flaking off into the engine :headshake

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I had this same annoying problem on my 2011 (#221 produced) but no such issue on my 2012.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Yep, exact same thing here. I got tired of fiddling with it at stop lights and adjusted it so that it barely has clearance cold and then after about two minutes warm up it's right where it needs to be. Other than that, I've had no issues with this clutch although I'm not abusive on any clutch and have always gotten good life out of them.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts

What is the solution?
1K Rider, I just Googled "2011 ZX10R Clutch Failure" and it came up basically zero, this thread was the only one I could find that showed up concerning the 2011. Where did you seee the multiple reports and how were the bikes being used or abused? I've heard of guys smoking a brand new clutch pack in a few passes down a dragstrip and this can happen on any bike. Under normal use, I think the Gen 4 has a decent clutch.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
.... Under normal use, I think the Gen 4 has a decent clutch.
:+1: It seems solid. 33,000 km on my 2011 with many 5,000+ rpm take-offs. (bad habit)

Only minor issues with my 2011.
  1. The plates weren't oiled on factory assembly which resulted in reluctance to release.
  2. Temperature dependence of adjustment.

·
The Pace
7,014 Posts
1K Rider, I just Googled "2011 ZX10R Clutch Failure" and it came up basically zero, this thread was the only one I could find that showed up concerning the 2011. Where did you seee the multiple reports and how were the bikes being used or abused? I've heard of guys smoking a brand new clutch pack in a few passes down a dragstrip and this can happen on any bike. Under normal use, I think the Gen 4 has a decent clutch.
Correct. Nothing wrong with this clutch. Also my last bike was 06 FZ1, with the slightly dumbed down R1 engine. It had 114,000 miles of twisties the day I sold it to a commuter rider. Original clutch and original clutch cable.

·
The Pace
7,014 Posts
The 10 is NOT a city bike. Not a starbucks bike. Not a geek bike. Not a pimp bike.

The g4 10r is a TWISTIE bike, nothing else. Not designed for constant gimp clutching at all.

·
Registered
638 Posts
The 10 is NOT a city bike. Not a starbucks bike. Not a geek bike. Not a pimp bike.

The g4 10r is a TWISTIE bike, nothing else. Not designed for constant gimp clutching at all.
I agree, it loves the twisties! But seems to handle the daily grind fine to me too!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts

I'm not a geek or a pimp but I do ride my new 10R in the city and try to stop at Starbucks at least once a day.:eek:ccasion1

·
The Pace
7,014 Posts
I'm not a geek or a pimp but I do ride my new 10R in the city and try to stop at Starbucks at least once a day.:eek:ccasion1

You already know this, but chicks love this bike. I don't get it. Maybe it's the black color. Is black like a cool babe color now, or what???? Funny thing was that I wanted the red so that way the wife wouldn't notice the new bike in the garage, (red was my last bike. To her, if it's red and has two wheels, nothing's changed!) but ended up with black with the '11 cash back!

Well, the wife noticed the new black bike, and so do the babes, both for different reasons, I guess!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Nothing wrong with a little stop and go with this bike, just don't slip the clutch continually. Re-gearing helps immensely with this.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,372 Posts

Um... Don't tell me you take yours to Coffee Bean? :shady:
For reals? :eek2:

This is blasphemy :violent5:

Bloo.. Someone here needs a time out :banem:

1 - 20 of 106 Posts