Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to pull a wheelie today and heard a noise I thought on the lower right side. After the noise, I went to accelerate and the bike starts to vibrate around 5000rpm like the tire is coming apart or a wheel is not balanced or something. If I start the bike and rev the motor the bike it's fine, when I actually engage the gears and get up around 5K RPM or 6Krpm I feel the vibration start to build.

Any idea what I broke and what this may cost me?

Been ridding street bikes since 1993 and I am comfortable pulling wheelies they are normally very smooth. Today something popped I guess.

·
Registered
536 Posts
the exact same thing happened to my buddy when we were heading out on a ride. He clutched up a wheelie and came down and same noise.....he was able to ride home about 5 miles.

we pulled it apart and his clutch basket ripped apart. one of the long notches (where you align the plates and slide them down into) had cracked off.

sounded bad but he ended up lucky and just put on a new clutch basket!

goodluck

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the exact same thing happened to my buddy when we were heading out on a ride. He clutched up a wheelie and came down and same noise.....he was able to ride home about 5 miles.

we pulled it apart and his clutch basket ripped apart. one of the long notches (where you align the plates and slide them down into) had cracked off.

goodluck

Sounds about same as me... Thanks man....should not be to bad I guess

·
Registered
68 Posts
Happened to me also with a 650DL Suzuki V-Strom.
I do wheelies with that one also sometimes in the city when starting from traffic lights. Well at the end the clutch passed and started with that vibration you mentioned. Usually though when it goes like that you have allready put some good miles on it, did you?
Just replace the disks and the "basket" someone had mentioned, plus whatever is visibly worn out (check springs..)
:hello:

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Happened to me also with a 650DL Suzuki V-Strom.
I do wheelies with that one also sometimes in the city when starting from traffic lights. Well at the end the clutch passed and started with that vibration you mentioned. Usually though when it goes like that you have allready put some good miles on it, did you?
Just replace the disks and the "basket" someone had mentioned, plus whatever is visibly worn out (check springs..)
:hello:
You know what you are talking about cause I got 18,456 miles on this monster. Everyone with some knowledge seems to point at the clutch. It was not slipping at all and felt great. Bike has been for all rutine service and was checked out at 9500 miles start of season. Clutch retail is $250 dollars then 2 hours labor. If I replace everything is just shy of $1000 if replace clutch and few parts it's a little over $500 dollars. Debating on fixing right now or calling it a season. I need a rear tire too.

To big to strong to fast...

Bad clutch may be a blessing...

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll post up to confirm what the issue was.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that sucks, have you thought about some ebay parts to cut your costs?
I hear ya bro

I'm not messing around getting a deal on the clutch though. I am getting the clutch from the Kawi dealer. I purchased the bike from them and buy all my stuff from them. Not the cheapest but they cut me a break when they can.

All good though thanks...

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
The monster is down. Sorry to hear that and if it was me I'd probably call it a season. If you can even call 09 a season in the northeast. Goodluck either way!

·
Registered
492 Posts
The clutch is easy to work on. I havent pulled mine on this ZX10 yet, but I doubt if its that much different then others.
Drain the oil & inspect it.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
well the good news is by looking at the parts catalog it looks like kaw finally figured out how to make all the clutch baskets the same on an 08 so you wont have to find the exact one that matches your crank gear like on the first gen. If thats what it turn out to be. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the good news is by looking at the parts catalog it looks like kaw finally figured out how to make all the clutch baskets the same on an 08 so you wont have to find the exact one that matches your crank gear like on the first gen. If thats what it turn out to be. :thumbsup:
Good call... Got the call today.

It's the clutch Baskets $450 parts and labor installed! :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

goodluck
Nice call bro it was the Basket

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The monster is down. Sorry to hear that and if it was me I'd probably call it a season. If you can even call 09 a season in the northeast. Goodluck either way!
I was thinking the same thing... Then I said nahhhh. Can't have the monster not 100%....

How does that rap song go "I'm keep it one hunit"

I will wait until next season for a rear tire though

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
make sure whoevers doing it drops the pan to get any chunks that may have fallen down out. :thumbsup:
Dude you know your stuff... Guy called me said I can put the clutch in or pull the pan an check for more stuff. I said pull it and he did and found more small pieces so I'm 100. Said a few thing were just before the oil something I forget. But he said he feels 100 that I am good. Also going to put new gaskets on too. This guy was a tech at the dealer for 11 years then decided to open up his own spot. Guy knows his stuff. He is busy as hell and has new bikes at his spot too.

So anyone in CT guy is in west haven knows his stuf all snap-on tools $$$$$$

Pulled that trick totally apart so I'm 100... I'll have the bike back thursday I guess:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Dude you know your stuff... Guy called me said I can put the clutch in or pull the pan an check for more stuff. I said pull it and he did and found more small pieces so I'm 100. Said a few thing were just before the oil something I forget. But he said he feels 100 that I am good. Also going to put new gaskets on too. This guy was a tech at the dealer for 11 years then decided to open up his own spot. Guy knows his stuff. He is busy as hell and has new bikes at his spot too.

So anyone in CT guy is in west haven knows his stuf all snap-on tools $$$$$$

Pulled that trick totally apart so I'm 100... I'll have the bike back thursday I guess:eek:ccasion1
:thumbsup: good deal

1 - 17 of 17 Posts