Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i replaced my clutch pusher pin (long story). i put the clutch cover back on with the same gasket, and it was leaking. not a big surprise, as i'd already had the clutch cover off and back on 3 times within the last year or so. but it had never leaked before. anyways, it was leaking pretty bad, so i put the bike back on the stands and ordered a new gasket. got the new gasket, ripped it apart, new gasket in, started it up, leaking worse than before. now, i've don engines before, so i know about how to install a gasket (cleaning the surface really well, etc). so i pulled it back off, got some permetex high-temp gasket maker, lined both sides of the gasket with that stuff, and reinstalled the cover. waited the instructed 24 hours for it to dry, then fired up the bike. no leak. so i took it for about a 30 minute ride. parked it. no leak. come out the next morning to a nice 6" puddle of oil under the bike. anyone have any ideas for me? i'm stumped. thanks.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
There is a tightening sequence on the clutch cover, its in the manual, and I have found that it actually makes a difference.... try the sequence and report back

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I ordered another new gasket, followed the torque procedure, and it still leaks. Leaking from the lower rear corner. It developed a puddle on the ground a few inches in diameter within minutes. I've no idea what to do with this thing. Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
So I ordered another new gasket, followed the torque procedure, and it still leaks. Leaking from the lower rear corner. It developed a puddle on the ground a few inches in diameter within minutes. I've no idea what to do with this thing. Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
ive never used gaskets and gasket seal at the same time..clean both surfaces making sure no gasket material residue is left behind..rub surfaces with some brake cleaner on a rag..let dry...goop the permatex on the cover...not too much...let get tackey a min or 2...reinstall and follow the torque procedure...let sit overnight. Is your bike on its side stand of are you letting it sit in a rear wheel chock when its curing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Normally the only oil that reach clutch cover is intentionally splashed oil thrown out...So just check what amount of oil is coming out of that area and how many times...If the oil leak is constant and relatively in large amount than i think there may be problem with the seal and need to be changed..Off course this is just my opinion ,so make sure from any experts...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts