Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, is your clutch cable routed in front of or behind(under) your front brake line(s)? Mine comes up from the side fairing and inbetween the fork tube and brake line, kind of trapped in there, and when the bars are full lock right, there's a nasty bend in the cable between the lever and where it passes under the front brake line. It almost looks like it should be over the top(in front of) the brake line, but I'm not sure if there's enough slack in it.

[smilie=d:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
gladding24 said:
OK guys, is your clutch cable routed in front of or behind(under) your front brake line(s)? Mine comes up from the side fairing and inbetween the fork tube and brake line, kind of trapped in there, and when the bars are full lock right, there's a nasty bend in the cable between the lever and where it passes under the front brake line. It almost looks like it should be over the top(in front of) the brake line, but I'm not sure if there's enough slack in it.

[smilie=d:[/quote]

In front of is the natural position. I think you will notice a different lever feel once you do.

BD

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
I re-routed mine in front and it is a better feel and I think it is outta the way of the tach now. Mind you I am 6'2" and the cable never really interfered with my view of the clocks...

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
It's funny you should ask this, as I was just looking through my photos of my first 10R to try to get a look at the clutch cable routing. Reason is, my 2nd 10R has the same problem you describe, with the clutch cable routed behind the front brake line. It does give a nasty kink/bend to the clutch cable when the bars are at full lock to the right.

When I finally found a pic that showed what I was after, I was surprised to see that the routing on the first bike was the same, with the clutch cable behind the brake line. :eek:

However, I also found a pic that was taken after I installed the Galfer lines. It showed that I had run the clutch cable forward of the Galfer lines.

Guess I'll just pull all the plastic off and re-route everything as clean as possible. I do remember that once I removed the evap canister from the first bike, everything had more room and the clutch cable seemed happier. Guess it's time to do it again. [smilie=B:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. It looked like it would want to be in front, and it does have an ugly kink @ full lock right. guess I'll be moving it here shortly. BTY, what do you guys use for grease on the ball end of the clutch cable? I've usually used 'Never seize' as it doesn't dry out and get crusty like some of the heavier greases. Also, waht about lube for the cable itself, what do you guys use? I used to use Tri-Flow on the cables because it had teflon in it, but the only thing I had available last night was good ole WD-40. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
gladding24 said:
BTY, what do you guys use for grease on the ball end of the clutch cable? I've usually used 'Never seize' as it doesn't dry out and get crusty like some of the heavier greases. Also, waht about lube for the cable itself, what do you guys use? I used to use Tri-Flow on the cables because it had teflon in it, but the only thing I had available last night was good ole WD-40. Thoughts?
For the ball end, the service manual just calls out for "grease". I like the [gasp] Honda spray grease, as it's easier to control. I just use a teflon cable lube in a spray can for lubing the cables themselves. With one of those funky little cable lube tools. PJ1, Honda, Kawa, whatever. It's all good.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
My clutch cable was trapped between the brake hose and fork tube. That is the way it came from Kawasaki. It had started to make rude rubbing sounds and continued to pop the cable guide loose. Without a lot of disassembly, I removed the lever perch clamp and passed the whole clutch lever assy through to the right side and rerouted it outside the brake hose. It actually seems to have too much cable now and gets a large loop in it when turned to the right steering lock. There may be a another reroute solution that will be even better. I just haven't explored the possibility yet. Anyone else figure something better?

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
I was thinking about this and realized that my old R1 (01') had a shorter cable. I think it had less play in it, but never game me a problem... I would venture into getting a shorter cable maybe...???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts